Euthyrox

17 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

My blood tests today came out as follows:

TSH is high at 5.90 and FT4 is in range on the low side at 1.05 (range is 0.70 to 1.48). FT3 is 3.09

My dosage has been increased from 0.75 to 1.0, Dr Endo suspects the end result will be around 1.40 but she's taking it in baby steps because of concern about my heart (I have a stent). Oh yes, am also instructed to take 100 mg Vit C to help aid absorption.

I also asked for my Calcium to be tested. Previously I was on 6,000 mg a day which was reduced to the current 3,000mg, tonight it has been reduced to 1,500. High dosage Calcium has been causing constipation which might be the cause of some weight gain and bloating discomfort (my movements are irregular at best).

Back to see Dr Endo in 5 weeks. 

Thank you so much to everyone who posted on this subject, PM'd me and offered support and advice and shared their story, it is all greatly appreciated.

I'll leave this open in case there's more to add later.

Constipation will easily add a kg or more to your weight.

Suggest you take stewed prunes or prune juice daily (the actual fruit tastes better).

In addition to Vit C, selenium supplement is helpful after thyroidectomy. .Adequate levels of selenium are needed for the conversion of T3 to T4.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 3:17 PM, Mike Lister said:

At only 67 cms you're rather short, I'm guessing you mean 87?

On 1/4/2024 at 3:17 PM, Mike Lister said:

At only 67 cms you're rather short, I'm guessing you mean 87?

5'6" and thinking at age 76 (77 years old next month). Head taller than my late Mother and half a head taller than my late Father. I'll thank you for not starting to sing the song, "Short people have no reason for living ..." ha!

• Haha 1

I've just returned from a visit to an ophthalmologist who took photographs of my eye and asked if I have diabetes, which I don't/didn't. Apparently, one eye has what appears to be water droplets around the iris, something usually seen in diabetics. She didn't make the connection, despite me being referred to her by the surgeon who removed my thyroid two months ago. I was about to go and get a quick A1C when I realized that my thyroid dosage is still not stable and that at its present level it has probably caused an increase in my blood glucose levels. Presumably, once the synthetic hormone levels become stable, the blood glucose levels should normalize, Has anyone else experienced this?

12 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

at its present level it has probably caused an increase in my blood glucose levels. Presumably, once the synthetic hormone levels become stable, the blood glucose levels should normalize, Has anyone else experienced this?

No, my low carb diet has always kept my glucose levels stable.

BTW, you might read this about dosage timing, if you didn't know.

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2021/05/surprising-things-affect-thyroid-medication

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No, my low carb diet has always kept my glucose levels stable.

BTW, you might read this about dosage timing, if you didn't know.

https://www.henryford.com/blog/2021/05/surprising-things-affect-thyroid-medication

Thanks, I already spotted those but useful to repeat. FWIW I take 100 mg Vit C along with the hormone, to improve absorption. (per my hormone doc.)