Spanish Rice W/ Clams/seafood

Pop along to Crepes & Co., Soi 12 Sukhumvit and take pot luck. They generally have an eclectic Mediterranean menu on offer but Spanish stuff seems to be a perennial standby. Their Gambas al ajillo ( sp? ) is reasonably authentic.

Perhaps the dish tormenting you is in fact the Portuguese Cataplana?

I went both C'N C and Rioja.

If you want paella , jump to Rioja then (about 1-2000 bht /plate (sorry i forget the exactly price)

Crepes 'n Co is a nice place for Mediteranian food(Cous Cous is fine there,i love crepe there as dessert)).However, Spanish restuarant in Bkk is Rioja .

Address : 1025 Ploenchit Rd

Tel. : 02 251 5761-2

Open : Lunch and dinner 5 am-11pm

http://www.riojath.com/

rioja_location.gif

Edited by BambinA

I went both C'N C and Rioja.

If you want paella , jump to Rioja then (about 1-2000 bht /plate (sorry i forget the exactly price)

Crepes 'n Co is a nice place for Mediteranian food(Cous Cous is fine there,i love crepe there as dessert)).However, Spanish restuarant in Bkk is Rioja .

Address : 1025 Ploenchit Rd

Tel. : 02 251 5761-2

Open : Lunch and dinner 5 am-11pm

http://www.riojath.com/

rioja_location.gif

Cute map, bambina

so is this deserved? if i go with myself and my gf it will be 1-2K/baht/plate or do multiple people eat from one plate?

ive never had it, only seen photographs.

It's quite a big plate (1 plate for 2 persons).

DSC_0097A20070717.jpg

OK got the price from this site

http://www.hotelthailand.com/ezine/2002/issue7/zine4.html

600 Baht (However, i think the price may rise abit..)

Appetizers Paella from Valencia served in portions for two at 600 baht ;

Fidegua a Spanish noodle at 450 baht, made ironically from Japanese rice flour, specifically selected it wont stick together or

may be Caldoso Rice with Jumbo Clams and vegetables at 170 baht. A basic dish of rice, saffron and olive oil which handsomely set off the flavour and texture of the seafood. Traditional dishes from Rioja such as oxtail cooked in a red wine sauce and pigs trotters Riojan style.

The house speciality is their Iberian ham from pigs feed on acorns. Pork is also featured as a tenderloin stuffed with goats cheese and grape sauce at 320 baht.

"Any decent Paella usually have to book ahead for a group. "

is this true? why would you have to book ahead for a simple rice and seafood dish?

Coz it needs time to cook.

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

check here then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/paella_7100.shtml

http://www.mediterrasian.com/cuisine_of_month_paella.htm

Edited by BambinA

"Any decent Paella usually have to book ahead for a group. "

is this true? why would you have to book ahead for a simple rice and seafood dish?

Coz it needs time to cook.

Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour

Cooking time 10 to 30 mins

check here then

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/paella_7100.shtml

http://www.mediterrasian.com/cuisine_of_month_paella.htm

When I was in spain last month I found the best place in spain to eat paella, pronounced pie yeah ya. made a pilgrimage up into the hills, two hour drive, to eat at Paco's. The classic is made with rabbit and snails and cooked over vine cuttings. I sat down, the waiter took my coat and I opened the menu. The first thing I saw was a starter at 95 euros. I immediately shut the book ordered a quick brandy and my coat. It was a long drive back. Whe I got back I ate at a chinese restaurant. Three courses with a bottle of wine 4.10 euros. I am a cheapskate. I was born in Yorkshire.

Scepticism that a good paella can be served within 30 minutes of ordering is not misplaced.

Paella is not ' cooked ' as such, it is constructed according to a plan that would not disgrace an architect.

The venue should ideally be alfresco amid vistas incorporating rolling hills and glimpses of the sea scented by wild herbs and shaded from the beat of an impossible sun by an ancient olive grove to the accompaniment of goat bells or the distant peal of laughing children.

The company will inevitably include at least 3 generations most of whom may well be intoxicated by the prospect of the feast to be devoured or a surfeit of home grown vina nuevo tinto or blanco depending upon whim.

Pride of place is taken by the ' paella ', a shallow wide pan of varying dimensions ranging from a small wheel to something at home in a greasy spoon cafe. This receptacle, on occasion older than the cook entrusted to execute the ritual defining the essence of a Spanish family fiesta, should be placed upon a fire set upon husks of old corn cobs, olive twigs and charcoal ensuring the heat is even but not too fierce.

A rich olive oil glistens the pan onto which roughly quartered chicken pieces lightly dusted with salt, pepper and a smoked paprika powder should be distributed evenly. After browning, these will be set aside to be replaced by finely sliced chorizo sausages followed by a sofrito of chopped onion, green and red peppers and tomatoes. Upon softening, the rice (spanish from Murcia or thereabouts) is added and quickly absorbs the juices exuded by the previous ingedients and begins to swell. Saffron powder is then liberally sprinkled over all before the addition of the first of many judicious slurrups of home made fish stock. Fresh peas and beans may be added . Approximately 20 minutes later the squid, mussels and langoustine is thrown into the fray and covered with perhaps a glug of white wine. Once the rice is cooked, al dente but softly so and the dish is dry but well moistened, the paella is removed from the heat and covered to rest under the comfort of a dampened cloth.

Service should be to the accompaniment of quartered lemons and several bottles of the finest Rioja, either Faustino 1 or Marques de Murrieta.

Sex afterwards may be undertaken but preferably in a leisurely fashion or alternatively one might choose a portion of flan caramel depending upon one's appetite.

Posssibly this may all be achieved within 30 minutes but I suspect corners might be cut.

Scepticism that a good paella can be served within 30 minutes of ordering is not misplaced.

Paella is not ' cooked ' as such, it is constructed according to a plan that would not disgrace an architect.

The venue should ideally be alfresco amid vistas incorporating rolling hills and glimpses of the sea scented by wild herbs and shaded from the beat of an impossible sun by an ancient olive grove to the accompaniment of goat bells or the distant peal of laughing children.

The company will inevitably include at least 3 generations most of whom may well be intoxicated by the prospect of the feast to be devoured or a surfeit of home grown vina nuevo tinto or blanco depending upon whim.

Pride of place is taken by the ' paella ', a shallow wide pan of varying dimensions ranging from a small wheel to something at home in a greasy spoon cafe. This receptacle, on occasion older than the cook entrusted to execute the ritual defining the essence of a Spanish family fiesta, should be placed upon a fire set upon husks of old corn cobs, olive twigs and charcoal ensuring the heat is even but not too fierce.

A rich olive oil glistens the pan onto which roughly quartered chicken pieces lightly dusted with salt, pepper and a smoked paprika powder should be distributed evenly. After browning, these will be set aside to be replaced by finely sliced chorizo sausages followed by a sofrito of chopped onion, green and red peppers and tomatoes. Upon softening, the rice (spanish from Murcia or thereabouts) is added and quickly absorbs the juices exuded by the previous ingedients and begins to swell. Saffron powder is then liberally sprinkled over all before the addition of the first of many judicious slurrups of home made fish stock. Fresh peas and beans may be added . Approximately 20 minutes later the squid, mussels and langoustine is thrown into the fray and covered with perhaps a glug of white wine. Once the rice is cooked, al dente but softly so and the dish is dry but well moistened, the paella is removed from the heat and covered to rest under the comfort of a dampened cloth.

Service should be to the accompaniment of quartered lemons and several bottles of the finest Rioja, either Faustino 1 or Marques de Murrieta.

Sex afterwards may be undertaken but preferably in a leisurely fashion or alternatively one might choose a portion of flan caramel depending upon one's appetite.

Posssibly this may all be achieved within 30 minutes but I suspect corners might be cut.

What a great post.

Tapas Cafe, on a small subsoi off Sukhumwit 11 (first turn on the left as you head down the soi, then follow the road around) serves paella twice a week - Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m. if memory serves me right. Their website is http://www.tapasiarestaurants.com/

Quick note from owner: we now do paella to order at any time - but allow at least 30 minutes (see the gent's excllent post on paella time...)

- guy