Those Kebabs in Pattaya !

georgegeorgia

14 minutes ago, sirineou said:

IMO , it is the need to have a civil conversation about an innocuous subject,  Not unlike sitting across the table from a friend while sharing a beer and saying , "I has a Kebab the other day at so and so place. Boy I love thes kebabs . do you like them?" 

Keening  it on the light side 

No need to always argue the middle east issue ,if r you believe in God. or the meaning of life 

which of course everyone knows  is 42:tongue:

Except this thread has already started to follow the pizza thread from same OP whereby "your friend across the table" starts jabbering on and on and on about how they make the best kabab at home (or best I had in some other country) which helps no-one find a good kebab in Pattaya 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Except this thread has already started to follow the pizza thread from same OP whereby "your friend across the table" starts jabbering on and on and on about how they make the best kabab at home (or best I had in some other country) which helps no-one find a good kebab in Pattaya 😆 

why complicate things.   read the recommendations, go to Gmap, look at photos of.   search Gmap, simply type in kebab.

Not rocket science.  Pics & reviews from more than 1 or 2 AN members.  The more reviews the venue has, the better.

Will it be authentic ... doubtful, you're in TH.   Will they be tasty ... hell yea. 

Just watch when the put the sauces on the order before you, as I find the always OD on the sauces.   I prefer to taste the meat & veggies.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

why complicate things.   read the recommendations, go to Gmap, look at photos of.   search Gmap, simply type in kebab.

Not rocket science.  Pics & reviews from more than 1 or 2 AN members.  The more reviews the venue has, the better.

Will it be authentic ... doubtful, you're in TH.   Will they be tasty ... hell yea. 

Just watch when the put the sauces on the order before you, as I find the always OD on the sauces.   I prefer to taste the meat & veggies.

Why complicate things? I'm the one who said just walk around and pick one that looks good. Hardly complicated and much simpler than your method 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Why complicate things? I'm the one who said just walk around and pick one that looks good. Hardly complicated and much simpler than your method

Exactly - why to complicate things?

Simply stay out of conversation if you don't like it.

PS. Just walked by "Transit Cafe Kebab" next to Sands cafe on Pratamnak 5. Looked good and popular and there were line of customers.

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

The kebab shop on Beach Road, next to Mike's Shopping, still rolls them in foil and toasts them to make the wrap have just a slight crunch to it. I've always liked it when they are made that way.  Very nice.     

I'm opposite,I like the "wrap" ( what do they call that?) soft & fresh 

With plenty of BBQ sauce on the meat 🤤 yum 😋😋😋

12 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

As you have the option not to hung our with a friend who annoys you, you also have the option to not participate in threads you do not find interesting. 

I

• Thumbs Up 1

If you look closely you'll see loads of white fat between the meat. Rather an all meat even if more expensive. So stopped buying. Also some vendors use variables for lettuce.. cabbage? If I'm going to eat or buy it's just meat with minimal fat. Let alone find red tomatoes not green. There's authentic and copies. There cheap for a reason. Anyone know where can be authentic in Pattaya? Or dreaming.

12 minutes ago, Haveasay said:

If you look closely you'll see loads of white fat between the meat. Rather an all meat even if more expensive. So stopped buying. Also some vendors use variables for lettuce.. cabbage? If I'm going to eat or buy it's just meat with minimal fat. Let alone find red tomatoes not green. There's authentic and copies. There cheap for a reason. Anyone know where can be authentic in Pattaya? Or dreaming.

Lean meat alone would not work well.... I thought it was pretty much rendered or drained down on the very outer cooked edge that is cut off. 

Perhaps some of the Arab eateries around Soi 16 area are more original.

1 hour ago, Haveasay said:

Authentic would probably cost more than most are willing to pay, as imported ingredients (Turkey) would be a bit more expensive, if even allowed, and homemade (from scratch at vendor) more time consuming, and time is money.

Make your own, easy enough, or simply accept what most closely resembles what you expect.    Been to Turkey*** have you, and sample more than a few ?

*** If referring the döner kebab, which is simply rotating meat, so leaves a big window for variations.  Even in Turkey, I would imagine.

Got to love all the purist experts with no real experience.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, CashMoon said:

In my opinion döner kebab is the best fast food in the world but there is no doner kebab restaurant in Thailand! Do you think you are eating doner kebab? They make ridiculous doner kebab.  If I had served the döner kebabs served in Thailand in Turkey, I swear they would have killed me.

Isn't the doner kebab place on Pattaya Tai & 2nd Road operated by Turkish guys?  I haven't eaten there, but it would seem the Turkish guys would have a better understanding on kebabs than the average Thai. 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:43 AM, georgegeorgia said:

My favourite the Doner kebab with Lamb cheese salad now the best in Pattaya in my opinion is the one on the corner of second road and South Pattaya Rd absolutely delightful!👅

I believe that place is called Istanbul and yes, they are fantastic.

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Who asked for the best kebab in Pattaya?? Not even the OP. Have you considered that you might just be a misery-guts?

The OP is just sitting at home watching YouTube. He can make a decent kebab from a recipe. 
One that looks good? How can you tell before eating? Cheap tomato and or chilli sauce. No yoghurt sauce but cheap sugary mayonnaise. 
Personally, I won’t eat from any of them. But even though I won’t do so, I applaud  the efforts of the guy running the small kebab shop on Soi Bua Khao(outside Sawadee Siam) who has worked hard to build up his business through the quiet times and seems to have a happy wife and a happy life. 

22 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

Best time to judge a kebab is first thing in the morning when the spit is cold and all the congealed fat is in the tray and on the outside of the "meat".

So what happens then? Run a slice of bread round it for the morning bread and dripping delight?

• Love It 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

So what happens then? Run a slice of bread round it for the morning bread and dripping delight?

I used to love bread & dripping,now you bring back memories !😋😋

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:43 AM, georgegeorgia said:

wonder if there is a a Jewish kebab?

The best place in town has an Israeli flag discretely included on their sign.

I figured all the customers were Arabs (I can't tell an Arab from a Jew) only to recently take note of their sign.  Mostly Middle Eastern customers, no smelly dudes in black suits and hats though, so I can be forgiven for mistaking one group for the other. 

They use proper seasonings, not ketchup and mayonnaise like those horrid Turkish places do. 

On 1/7/2024 at 1:45 AM, Bobthegimp said:

The best place in town has an Israeli flag discretely included on their sign.

I figured all the customers were Arabs (I can't tell an Arab from a Jew) only to recently take note of their sign.  Mostly Middle Eastern customers, no smelly dudes in black suits and hats though, so I can be forgiven for mistaking one group for the other. 

They use proper seasonings, not ketchup and mayonnaise like those horrid Turkish places do. 

And, which place is that?

Name of the restaurant?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Espanol said:

And, which place is that?

Name of the restaurant?

That would have been useful information, wouldn't it? 

It's beside Subway on Soi Diana, in front of Charlie Place.  

Some young lads and I are working on a tunnel so we can access the place after hours. Wish us well.

And don't rat us out to the city officials! 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

It's beside Subway on Soi Diana, in front of Charlie Place.  

Some young lads and I are working on a tunnel so we can access the place after hours. Wish us well.

Tunnel ?

What sort of tunnel ?

And this is going underneath the Israeli kebab shop ????

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Tunnel ?

What sort of tunnel ?

And this is going underneath the Israeli kebab shop ????

Some people call us "extremists" and don't want us there after hours. We're connecting all of the kebab shops in Pattaya via a network of tunnels. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

Está al lado del metro en Soi Diana, frente a Charlie Place. 

OK. I found it:

Shawarma Factory

https://maps.app.goo.gl/VKovAAD8u54Tdzdz8

Thanks. I will give it a try.

On 1/15/2024 at 11:13 AM, Bobthegimp said:

I've heard of other guys who had the UN fund their whole tunnel network.  Seemed to work well for them -- the money was supposed to go to other stuff but the UN doesn't seem to mind at all they used it for other purposes.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

A Celebration Of The Turkish Döner Kebab

especially if you’re from the UK – and you’ve been a fully signed up member of the 3am weekend club, queueing up in one of the town centre greasy döner kebab joints with the misguided aim of soaking up copious amounts of alcohol – you’ll be forgiven for thinking that we long ago abandoned the Turkish döner in favour of other, more appetising street food snacks.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 2:52 PM, sandyf said:

In the 60s/70s I was in the RAF and all the guys that had been to Cyprus used to rave about going for a kebab. In 1974 I went on a detachment from Germany to Cyprus and first night there headed off to the local kebab shop. They put a pile of unleven bread and various vegetables in the middle of the table and for the next few hours brought various grilled meats on a regular basis, all accompanied by copious amounts of the local beverages.

The following morning I regretted getting my head around that kind of kebab.

The day after we left Cyprus they decided to have a coup.

I had a similar 60s kebab experience while stationed in Morocco while I was in the US Navy.  Street vendors sold lamb skewers cooked over local charcoal, wrapped in a flatbread with various chopped herbs, tomato and spicy sauce, perhaps what is now sold as "Harissa"  1 Dirham,, at that time, 5 to a dollar so 20 Cents.

Also had an attempted coup: The then King piloted his own 727. While he was returning from France to Morocco, some Moroccan Air Force malcontents tried to shoot his plane down. A lot of people in the passenger section were killed.  The King was a quick thinker.  he got on the radio and said: "OK, The bastard's dead, you can stop shooting."  The rebels believed it and broke-off the attack.  They were all shot the next day.

Funny story:  During an orientation lecture when I first arrived, the lecturer was discussing buying meat and produce at local markets. "Don't ever buy hanging meat with no flies on it!!  Only buy hanging meat with fly's" He went on to explain: "Vendors know Americans hate fly's so they spray the meat with DDT"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1