Those Kebabs in Pattaya !

georgegeorgia

I think we all had them!

Some of us had them years ago in the early hours after a few drinks 🎊

And I'm talking about the Kebabs 

My favourite the Doner kebab with Lamb cheese salad now the best in Pattaya in my opinion is the one on the corner of second road and South Pattaya Rd absolutely delightful!👅

But going thru the Greek 🇬🇷area I noticed the YEEROS kebab ,is that Greek or Macedonian?

There's SHISH kebab , Turkish Kebab and the Doner kebab !!! 

I wonder if there is a a Jewish kebab?

The SHISH kebab is on a skewer I believe , is that one with meat and  green capiscums?

I have no idea where the Lebanese one or the Greek one,but I love a good soft lamb kebab with tabouli ,onion , cheese .... beautiful with bbq sauce 😋😋

Edited by georgegeorgia

Used to be a bloke selling them in our local Petchabun town for 29 baht a pop. Delicious. He left so have to wait for market days now where there are others.

Alternatively,  I just buy a pack of wraps myself from Tesco and make them myself. Too easy.

Makes a change from rice.

Edited by Denim
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Denim said:

Used to be a bloke selling them in our local Petchabun town for 29 baht a pop. Delicious. He left so have to wait for market days now where there are others.

Alternatively,  I just buy a pack of wraps myself from Tesco and make them myself. Too easy.

Makes a change from rice.

I tried making them myself but never tasted the same as the shop

They cut the meat off that '"thing" that goes around,don't know the name !   

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I think we all had them!

Some of us had them years ago in the early hours after a few drinks 🎊

I wasn't sure if you were literally referring to Kebabs or if it was a metaphor for girls on walking street until I read the rest of your post. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

the best in Pattaya in my opinion is the one on the corner of second road and South Pattaya Rd

Quite a while ago that location made their own wraps from fresh dough for each order. They were much better than the premade wraps. Does anyone know of a place that makes their own fresh tortilla wrappers? 

Good stand off Sukhumvit 60 b same as 2nd road.

Seems a waste to make yourself.  Go to the market and buy all those ingredients all that time, energy, labor and expense for a $1.60 sandwich that doesn't taste the same.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Does anyone know of a place that makes their own fresh tortilla wrappers? 

There's a shop towards the back and off to the side of Villa Supermarket that only makes wraps in packs of 10, that's where many of the donner kebab places get their wraps.  Don't expect to get a meal there as all they do is make wraps, I've noticed they're usually open in the late afternoon/early evenings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.9378552,100.905843,3a,75y,322.95h,81.4t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sKeEwV2euNJPEsV8Ny2vV9A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192!9m2!1b1!2i46?entry=ttu

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Never really got my head around what a kebab really is... first I ever came across was meat, peppers and onions cooked on a skewer, served on flat bread. Probably came across those in Greece years ago. Many seem to mean what I call a Shawarma, meat cooked in a big cone, in front of of a vertical grill, which I had a lot in Middle East countries.....

Yes that's another one ,I'm not sure Greek or Middle eastern 

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

It's called a doner. 

Screenshot_20240104_110504_Brave.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

It's called a doner. 

and does anyone pronounce it correctly here?

Actually it's called a spit, it's the motion/rotation that is called 'Döner'

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Goodness me what a mouthful. I'll stick with my Aussie pronunciation - "donna kabab". 

I always mispronounced it, until I saw a YT'er from Germany doing a kebab vid, and good luck finding something similar here:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

In my opinion döner kebab is the best fast food in the world but there is no doner kebab restaurant in Thailand! Do you think you are eating doner kebab? They make ridiculous doner kebab.  If I had served the döner kebabs served in Thailand in Turkey, I swear they would have killed me.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I always mispronounced it, until I saw a YT'er from Germany doing a kebab vid, and good luck finding something similar here:

This mob claim to do a Berlin-style doner kebab but I haven't tried them yet. I've not yet been to either Berlin or Turkey so I have no idea how it might compare to the "real thing".

https://berlinsdonerkebab.com/

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

This mob claim to do a Berlin-style doner kebab but I haven't tried them yet. I've not yet been to either Berlin or Turkey so I have no idea how it might compare to the "real thing".

https://berlinsdonerkebab.com/

I ate.. Price/Performance is very bad. I can say that the only difference from the doner kebab sold at the counter is the sauce and bread. There is no need to pay 3-4 times more just for this. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CashMoon said:

I ate.. Price/Performance is very bad. I can say that the only difference from the doner kebab sold at the counter is the sauce and bread. There is no need to pay 3-4 times more just for this. 

Thanks. It doesn't look very appealing which is why I didn't order from them yet.

The worse kebab? It's here; Lake Mabprachan Kebab DTK. Near 7/11.

- My gf learned to eat there w her late German bf (didn't die for kebab...)

- I tried one bite and spit it out. They put SUGAR and maybe syrup to it...

- I have eaten decent Kebab in Europe by Turks. Always lamb.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Never really got my head around what a kebab really is... first I ever came across was meat, peppers and onions cooked on a skewer, served on flat bread. Probably came across those in Greece years ago. Many seem to mean what I call a Shawarma, meat cooked in a big cone, in front of of a vertical grill, which I had a lot in Middle East countries.....

No one can better my Shawarma. 
First of all the meat is separated from the bone. I don’t use dense chicken breast for anything. Usually thigh meat with all fat and gristle removed, then sliced and marinated in a coriander, garlic, chilli, olive oil and curry powder mix. That can sit in the fridge for a day. 
Then the yoghurt sauce; Greek yoghurt with a little coriander mix sans curry powder and lemon juice. 
Wraps/Pide I get direct from the bakery just off Third road and Pattaya Tai. 
Cherry tomatoes and cucumbers sliced and diced with some mixed with the yoghurt sauce. 
Chicken then slightly browned in a pan and then finished in the oven until sizzling. Pide/wrap also warmed appropriately in the oven. 
Now time to combine. Homemade houmous  as the first layer. Then the meat is stuffed in, then the creamy vegetables and finally slathered in more yoghurt sauce. 
Don’t expect it to stay intact the whole way through, but you’d be definitely licking your fingers. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The best kebab, I ever had, was in Kas, Turkey. Thin slices of spiced lamb meat with crispy skin, covered with loads of lettuce, tomato, red onion and green chilli peppers, in a soft, warm tortilla wrap. But it was the special sauce that made this kebab, so delicious. It was a bit like a cucumber/mint Raita?

The kebabs in the UK, just don’t ‘cut the mustard’, I’m afraid. 

Anyway, never been to Thailand, so I cannot compare? 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Charlest1971
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Charlest1971 said:

The best kebab, I ever had, was in Kas, Turkey. Thin slices of spiced lamb meat with crispy skin, covered with loads of lettuce, tomato, red onion and green chilli peppers, in a soft, warm tortilla wrap. But it was the special sauce that made this kebab, so delicious. It was a bit like a cucumber/mint Raita?

The kebabs in the UK, just don’t ‘cut the mustard’, I’m afraid. 

Anyway, never been to Thailand, so I cannot compare? 🤷‍♀️

A fan of just garlic sauce on my non Mexican wraps.  Hard to call anything a doner kebab if wrapped in a tortilla.  Just a kebab, and I'm a flatbread fan myself and even do my 'Mexican/tacos-ish' thingys, with flatbread when having available.   Saying that, wife just made tortillas ... :giggle:  Guess we're have Mexican later today or tomorrow.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Never really got my head around what a kebab really is...

In the 60s/70s I was in the RAF and all the guys that had been to Cyprus used to rave about going for a kebab. In 1974 I went on a detachment from Germany to Cyprus and first night there headed off to the local kebab shop. They put a pile of unleven bread and various vegetables in the middle of the table and for the next few hours brought various grilled meats on a regular basis, all accompanied by copious amounts of the local beverages.

The following morning I regretted getting my head around that kind of kebab.

The day after we left Cyprus they decided to have a coup.

• Haha 1

Struggling to understand the point of this thread? Kababs are everywhere in Pattaya, if you see a place that looks good try one. If great, remember to come back again, if not try one of the many other places next time

They're 60-100 baht each ffs

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Elephant's foot!

• Haha 1