Government to follow up nearly 6,000 complaints about 4am closing times

webfact

Already the bars disguised as restaurants near my guesthouse are trying their luck and closing later and later. My guests are certainly noticing and writing reviews in which they describe excessive bar noise.

These new 4am closing times have the potential to sink my business.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The Cabinet has now directed the Interior Ministry to address these complaints. Progress on handling the complaints is expected to be reported to the PM’s Office every quarter.

So they will be ignored?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

If people want to sleep get a hotel far away from restaurants or bars.

Difficult to do in these major tourist spots.

No guarantees for a quiet night in the boonies either. 

Edited by Bassosa
  • Agree 1

Well, those living in Nong Khai might remember last Wednesday, when "Madame Country" restaurant celebrated the birthday of the lady of the house.

The German husband was nowhere to be seen yet the police showed up three times. The first time they took some photos from a distance, the second time they passed with a rotating red-light on their pick-up roof before, again 30+ minutes later they went to "talk" to the said lady of the house. The ghetto blasters were finally switched off and the exclusively Thai clientele just kept on drinking.

The ear splitting noise of completely-out-of-tune-drunk Thais in their karaoke screaming might have triggered off complains at the hotel across the road, however the few non-Thai persons around were wondering in neighbouring restaurants and quiet watering holes on how long it would take. 

As long as the law is there but not enforced, you will always have some headlines to report ........... 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Geoffggi said:

Why cannot the authorities ensure that establishments that play music have suitable sound proofing so as not to disturb the remaining population

How do you sound-proof open-air bars and restaurants? It is a tropical country, so that is the default setup in many places. And with regard to offended tourists: come on, you booked yourself into a party hot spot, do not complain now that people have a good time!

There are many homestead bed and breakfast offers in Isaan, some quite nice -- no guarantee for quietitude of course, but at least the noise would be fully "culturally immersive" (eg. screaming roosters amd Morlam).

For those who want a really quiet beach: the ones with the least noise I have ever been have been on the Maldives; so maybe proper destination research and selection would be thing to do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Bassosa said:

No guarantees for a quiet night in the boonies either. 

To right, if you get one of those nut job head monks that start the loud speakers at 05:00 until the national anthem starts at 08:00 

you may as well hit the chang with somchai 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, jts-khorat said:

How do you sound-proof open-air bars and restaurants? It is a tropical country, so that is the default setup in many places. And with regard to offended tourists: come on, you booked yourself into a party hot spot, do not complain now that people have a good time!

There are many homestead bed and breakfast offers in Isaan, some quite nice -- no guarantee for quietitude of course, but at least the noise would be fully "culturally immersive" (eg. screaming roosters amd Morlam).

For those who want a really quiet beach: the ones with the least noise I have ever been have been on the Maldives; so maybe proper destination research and selection would be thing to do?

This is indeed the solution. Don't portray Thailand as a country where you can get decent night's rest. Let the world know the party is on 24/7 so don't come if you're not into that.

TAT forecasts 4 million arrivals in 2024. All had potbellys.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 11:29 AM, Bassosa said:

Already the bars disguised as restaurants near my guesthouse are trying their luck and closing later and later. My guests are certainly noticing and writing reviews in which they describe excessive bar noise.

These new 4am closing times have the potential to sink my business.

Na, you'll just have to cater to the drunken heathens and the tarts + ladyboys who ride in with them.  Maybe peddle a little dope and after hour "massage" service to them and you'll come out ahead. 

52 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

Na, you'll just have to cater to the drunken heathens and the tarts + ladyboys who ride in with them.  Maybe peddle a little dope and after hour "massage" service to them and you'll come out ahead. 

That is indeed my plan. If I can't beat them, I'll join 'm. I have 400m2 on the ground floor which I can turn into Chiang Mai's seediest and loudest bar. Watch the locals that still persevere around me flee to the moobaans, taking the last remnants of Thai culture that exist here with them.

I'll actively contribute to the Pattayization of Chiang Mai if I have to. Don't pay rent on it so might as well sell beer at, or below cost so I attract the real deadbeats.

Edited by Bassosa
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassosa said:

That is indeed my plan. If I can't beat them, I'll join 'm. I have 400m2 on the ground floor which I can turn into Chiang Mai's seediest and loudest bar. Watch the locals that still persevere around me flee to the moobaans, taking the last remnants of Thai culture that exist here with them.

I'll actively contribute to the Pattayization of Chiang Mai if I have to. Don't pay rent on it so might as well sell beer at, or below cost so I attract the real deadbeats.

Many a true word is spoken in jest.

It's just a matter of changing tack and taking your business in a new, down market direction. 

Maybe you could set up a respiratory therapy wing for those who are trapped in CM and have to breathe the air of Mordor for months at a time.  Seal off the rooms and provide top level air filtration and advertise the rooms as such.