American Passport Renewal Process

Time to renew my American passport. Last time done at Pattaya outreach and so simple - but, times have changed. I'm trying to see if I've got the new process right. So, yeah, I'm trying to summarize the 9-step process outlined here:
<<https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/>>

I read lots of the previous Aseannow threads - thanks to all!

Seems like here's the deal. 

- Pay the U$130 passport fee online via US.pay.gov
- The return envelope is done through the Thailand Post Courier Pass Back online services and paid online, too 

<<https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929/Courier-Pass-Back-envelope/>> 

Then send to US BKK embassy via EMS or Courier service:
- Old Passport
- TWO DS 82 Passport renewal forms
- ONE copy of Passport front page, i.e. bio page
- 2 passport sized photos
- Printed receipt of the Passport fee that comes via email
- Printed receipt of the "return envelope" fee that is also sent via email
- The printed BKK Embassy Passport renewal "Checklist" form - DS82

Have I got this right? Am I forgetting anything?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Many, many great threads here, so a search will probably help you.

One recent example: https://aseannow.com/topic/1310564-us-passport-renewal-question/

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

Recent first-hand reports are five to six weeks door-to-door.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

did mine in Nov, had it sent to Phuket . took 41 days from when it was sent ems form post office

NEVER received any email updates  ( even thou i signed up for them)

Old Passport
- TWO DS 82 Passport renewal forms      one form  completed/signed
- ONE copy of Passport front page, i.e. bio page      no copies
- The printed BKK Embassy Passport renewal "Checklist" form - DS82    nope

new passport is really high tech    :-)

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Old Passport
- TWO DS 82 Passport renewal forms      one form  completed/signed
- ONE copy of Passport front page, i.e. bio page      no copies
- The printed BKK Embassy Passport renewal "Checklist" form - DS82    nope

new passport is really high tech    :-)

Thanks for your clarifications. Noted only one DS 82 needed.

On the Checklist page it states: Checklist must be completed and included in the package 
Current passport book and/or passport card (if applicable) Required, NO EXCEPTIONS
& one clear photocopy of bio-data page (my emphasis)
<<https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/checklist-DS82-by-mail-online-payment_-passport-card-included-1080.pdf>> 

Is this information incorrect? The checklist does NOT need to be included in the package, nor a copy of the passport "Bio" page? Thanks.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, djeetyet said:

Is this information incorrect? The checklist does NOT need to be included in the package, nor a copy of the passport "Bio" page? Thanks.

I have not done the renewal, but need to in the near term so I've been following the topic. 

Monitoring the reports here the embassy has made changes in the process in the last 4-6 months or so, a key one regarding the requirements for the return envelope. 

Anyway, If from the embassy's website one sees a requirement is listed, best to go ahead and meet it.  The renewal process has gotten a bit more drawn out. And the time to get the passports back has increased, maybe close to doubled. Folks in the earlier part of last year were reporting getting them back in under three weeks. That seems over now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Follow the exact instructions as listed on the embassy website and you'll be fine. Any omissions or mistakes will slow things down.

I have a relative who is a US consular official at a different embassy. He told me that what happens is that a person in the embassy reviews your submitted details and documents. If everything is correct, the details are electronically sent to the US passport printing office in the US. Since everything has already been confirmed as accurate, the passport is printed in just a couple of days. Passports then go in the diplomatic pouch, but depending on the embassy, the pouch may only be sent weekly and their could be a lag of several days between the printing and sending. Add in some weekends and holidays and that explains why some people get their passports back in 3 weeks while others take 5 or 6 weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, djeetyet said:

Time to renew my American passport. Last time done at Pattaya outreach and so simple - but, times have changed. I'm trying to see if I've got the new process right. So, yeah, I'm trying to summarize the 9-step process outlined here:
<<https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/>>

I read lots of the previous Aseannow threads - thanks to all!

Seems like here's the deal. 

- Pay the U$130 passport fee online via US.pay.gov
- The return envelope is done through the Thailand Post Courier Pass Back online services and paid online, too 

<<https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929/Courier-Pass-Back-envelope/>> 

Then send to US BKK embassy via EMS or Courier service:
- Old Passport
- TWO DS 82 Passport renewal forms
- ONE copy of Passport front page, i.e. bio page
- The printed BKK Embassy Passport renewal "Checklist" form - DS82

Have I got this right? Am I forgetting anything?

Follow the checklist; it was simple other than having to go to bank for the 100 baht money order to pay for return postage. Whole process took me three weeks.... painless.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, djeetyet said:

Thanks for your clarifications. Noted only one DS 82 needed.

On the Checklist page it states: Checklist must be completed and included in the package 
Current passport book and/or passport card (if applicable) Required, NO EXCEPTIONS
& one clear photocopy of bio-data page (my emphasis)
<<https://th.usembassy.gov/wp-content/uploads/sites/90/checklist-DS82-by-mail-online-payment_-passport-card-included-1080.pdf>> 

i showed what i sent,  up to you , maybe things were dif in Nov

if ur worried, send copies , cant hurt

Bank money orders are old way, new way
I did the 100 baht thru thai post online https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

The current latest up-to-date instructions for getting a US passport renewal from US Embassy Bangkok are found here in excruciating detail:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

In my opinion, you are making a simple thing needlessly complicated by asking people what they have done in the recent past to get their renewal.  That doesn't matter.  What matters is the current latest up-to-date instructions which can be found only at the link above.  Passport renewals according to that site are being done in "six to eight weeks."  I think that estimate is on the conservative side as some people have reported that they are receiving their passport renewals earlier.

Edited by skatewash
  • Thanks 2

The current Embassy instructions are not accurate and do not work,.

The $130.00 payment cannot be made online from Thailand on Pay.gov. Thailand is NOT OFFERED as a choice for online payment.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/101/790155895/

Online payment is now required -- but online payment is not accepted from Thailand.

What to do now? 

PS What may have worked in the past is not working now.

• Confused 1

Pro Tip: Request an emergency one-year passport reason being an upcoming international flight. The price is same AND process is expedited. At the end of the 1-year period it's free to convert to the normal 10-year US passport. That way you can get 11 years for the price of 10.

• Confused 3

5 minutes ago, noserious said:

Pro Tip: Request an emergency one-year passport reason being an upcoming international flight. The price is same AND process is expedited. At the end of the 1-year period it's free to convert to the normal 10-year US passport. That way you can get 11 years for the price of 10.

Do you get a new passport and need to provide new photos and application?  

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, reefsurfah said:

Do you get a new passport and need to provide new photos and application?  

When applying for temporary one-year passport the regular application and new photos are needed, just add the request for the emergency/temporary passport and reason why.
Just before the 12 months are up, apply to convert/renew to normal 10-year passport. No new photos, application or payment is needed although you may need to sign something. A receipt is given to you after you submit the 1-year passport. Then the 10-year passport will be on the way.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, noserious said:

When applying for temporary one-year passport the regular application and new photos are needed, just add the request for the emergency/temporary passport and reason why.
Just before the 12 months are up, apply to convert/renew to normal 10-year passport. No new photos, application or payment is needed although you may need to sign something. A receipt is given to you after you submit the 1-year passport. Then the 10-year passport will be on the way.

Good info, but what would you advise the reason and do they check?  What have you done before?  Will temporary passports still work for Thai immigration visas?

• Thanks 1

If you're sending your old passport back in the application for a new one, then how do you go to the post office and use EMS? You need to show your passport, which is now inside the package, in order for the post office to accept your package.

• Thanks 1

John Drake.

The post office wants to see a picture of your passport you request tracking. Actual passport has not been required in my experience requesting tracking and sending international. They really just want your PP#.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Drake said:

If you're sending your old passport back in the application for a new one, then how do you go to the post office and use EMS? You need to show your passport, which is now inside the package, in order for the post office to accept your package.

You can buy the postage package on line.

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

If not then buy in person, use a copy of your passport, or leave the package open until paid.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

Good info, but what would you advise the reason and do they check?  What have you done before?  Will temporary passports still work for Thai immigration visas?

As I mentioned in my first post the reason is an upcoming international flight. (You could use another reason.) I don't know if they check. I've done this twice in Thailand. Temporary passports are fine for immigration/working visas.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, noserious said:

As I mentioned in my first post the reason is an upcoming international flight. (You could use another reason.) I don't know if they check. I've done this twice in Thailand. Temporary passports are fine for immigration/working visas.

Not seeing this option except expedited and it looks like you need proof of travel.  So things may have changed.

Don’t you have to pay more for expedited?

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Tom100 said:

The current Embassy instructions are not accurate and do not work,.

The $130.00 payment cannot be made online from Thailand on Pay.gov. Thailand is NOT OFFERED as a choice for online payment.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/101/790155895/

Online payment is now required -- but online payment is not accepted from Thailand.

What to do now? 

PS What may have worked in the past is not working now.

Unless this is an extremely recent change, which I doubt, this post is completely inaccurate. Just last July I paid the $130.00 fee via pay.gov using my Citibank Mastercard without any problems. I sent all the required documents to Bangkok via DHL and received my new passport delivered to my mailbox exactly five weeks and two days later. The process was effortless because I followed the instructions provided by the U.S. Embassy to the letter. My best advice to the original poster is to do the same while ignoring what the posters here are saying. Much of the information on this thread is just plain wrong. Who do you think knows more about renewing your passport, the people who work for the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or the people who post on Thai Visa, many of whom are moronic, clueless idiots? You can decide for yourself who to believe.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

go to PO
show ur passport
Put in envelope and seal it
My thai drivers license has always been accepted at the po as it has my PP # on it 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

go to PO
show ur passport
Put in envelope and seal it
My thai drivers license has always been accepted at the po as it has my PP # on it 

What about when sent back?

They send by Thai post?

So if you get a notification to pick it up at the post office and you don't have a passport to show?

I don’t have a DL.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

What about when sent back?

They send by Thai post?

So if you get a notification to pick it up at the post office and you don't have a passport to show?

I don’t have a DL.

They will deliver it to you where you placed as ur address, you dont need show id
https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1