American Passport Renewal Process

17 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

Not seeing this option except expedited and it looks like you need proof of travel.  So things may have changed.

Don’t you have to pay more for expedited?

I didn't pay more for expedited. Yes, things may have changed.

• Thanks 1

American visa required. Can someone please advise me on the current process. I am British, living in Thailand for 17 years, but I am taking my grandchildren to DisneyWorld in Orlando in March. I have been to the US but many years ago so obviously I need to apply for a tourist visa (I will only be there for 3 weeks). I would really be grateful if someone would outline the process for me please, either here of DM to <email removed per forum rules>, thanking you in advance... 

5 hours ago, Concerned observer said:

American visa required. Can someone please advise me on the current process. I am British, living in Thailand for 17 years, but I am taking my grandchildren to DisneyWorld in Orlando in March. I have been to the US but many years ago so obviously I need to apply for a tourist visa (I will only be there for 3 weeks). I would really be grateful if someone would outline the process for me please, either here of DM to <email removed per forum rules>, thanking you in advance... 

Since you are a British passport holder you should be able to enter the USA under the Visa Waiver Program as set out in the following link:-

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/tourism-visit/visa-waiver-program.html

Assuming that your grandchildren are exclusively Thai (and not dual British) nationals, they will need non-immigrant visas in order to be able to enter the USA as set out in the following link:-

https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

• Thanks 1

As of early January 2024, Thailand is NOT OFFERED as a choice for online payment on Pay.gov. So I cannot pay $130 fee NOW. I am signed in and I do have an account.

Thailand was available last year when others paid online....but NOT this week in 2024. 

Please see the screenshot below. Please verify on your PC. I am using Win 10 and Chrome. 

If you can see Thailand as a payment option, please tell me what OS you are using.

Thank you.

Edited by Tom100
add better image
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tom100 said:

As of early January 2024, Thailand is NOT OFFERED as a choice for online payment on Pay.gov. So I cannot pay $130 fee NOW. I am signed in and I do have an account.

Thailand was available last year when others paid online....but NOT this week in 2024. 

Please see the screenshot below. Please verify on your PC. I am using Win 10 and Chrome. 

If you can see Thailand as a payment option, please tell me what OS you are using.

Thank you.

Capture.JPG

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Concerned observer said:

PLEASE start ur own thread:
this is renewing US PASSPORT
MODS>>>>>

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I emailed US Embassy to ask how to pay since Pay.gov is NOT currently working for Thailand.

"You may please submit a payment by a bank draft as our office cannot accept any type of bank checks. Please be informed that starting from January 10th, passport renewal fee will be 4,680.-THB payable to “American Embassy Bangkok”

Regards,

American Citizens Services unit

U.S. Embassy Bangkok"

letter from embassy Jan 7.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

It would have been awesome if the ACS unit had mentioned if pay.gov is still, or no longer, an option.

USEMBBKK was the first trial use of this payment channel a few years back. I'd be surprised if it was now no longer applicable to renewals at USEMBBKK.

Good to know that the bank draft option remains available as that seems to have been scrubbed from the website/checklist.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

It would have been awesome if the ACS unit had mentioned if pay.gov is still, or no longer, an option.

USEMBBKK was the first trial use of this payment channel a few years back. I'd be surprised if it was now no longer applicable to renewals at USEMBBKK.

Good to know that the bank draft option remains available as that seems to have been scrubbed from the website/checklist.

Your instincts were correct.  It is still an option.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

I just checked and Thailand IS an option in the drop down menu.

Thanks for checking, I assumed as much and that the claim that pay.gov wasn't working was a user error.

4 minutes ago, ChicagoExpat said:

It is still an option.

But you do need to check to get the proper exchange rate for the $130 fee in THB. No clue how often this changes.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

But you do need to check to get the proper exchange rate for the $130 fee in THB. No clue how often this changes.

They said I had to pay 4680 baht for renewal.  4680/$130 = 36. That is, the exchange rate they use is 36 baht to dollar. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2024 at 10:28 AM, Tom100 said:

The current Embassy instructions are not accurate and do not work,. The $130.00 payment cannot be made online from Thailand on Pay.gov. Thailand is NOT OFFERED as a choice for online payment.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/101/790155895/

Online payment is now required -- but online payment is not accepted from Thailand. What to do now? 

PS What may have worked in the past is not working now.

I encountered same problem. Use this URL:

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/entry/104/1156527186/

It worked for me on Jan 14, 2024.

• Thanks 1

On 1/5/2024 at 4:48 PM, zzzzz said:

i showed what i sent,  up to you , maybe things were dif in Nov

if ur worried, send copies , cant hurt

Bank money orders are old way, new way
I did the 100 baht thru thai post online https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929

I was unable to pay 100 baht for the courier passback envvelope via credit card online but was able to pay via QR code, but it shows as "waiting" after payment, no confirmation code.  How can I show "A printout the electronic payment confirmation"?   How were you able to get this paid?

• Agree 1

On 1/5/2024 at 4:17 PM, Soondae said:

Follow the checklist; it was simple other than having to go to bank for the 100 baht money order to pay for return postage. Whole process took me three weeks.... painless.

I was unable to pay 100 baht for the courier passback envelope via credit card online but was able to pay via QR code, but it shows as "waiting" after QR payment, no email confirmation code.  How were you able to show "A printout the electronic payment confirmation" with your money order?

4 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

I was unable to pay 100 baht for the courier passback envelope via credit card online but was able to pay via QR code, but it shows as "waiting" after QR payment, no email confirmation code.  How were you able to show "A printout the electronic payment confirmation" with your money order?

I sent the 100 baht money order I got from the bank along with my physical package to the embassy, didn't know they had an thaipostonline. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

I was unable to pay 100 baht for the courier passback envvelope via credit card online but was able to pay via QR code, but it shows as "waiting" after payment, no confirmation code.  How can I show "A printout the electronic payment confirmation"?   How were you able to get this paid?

i received an emai,  which needs be printed and included in ur package for the new passport 

ThailandPostMart.Com ขอบคุณที่ท่านให้ความไว้วางใจเลือกซื้อสินค้ากับเรา ทางบริษัทฯได้รับข้อมูลการชำระเงินของท่านเป็นที่เรียบร้อยแล้ว รายละเอียดการสั่งซื้อมีรายละเอียด ดังนี้

ENGLISH

ThailandPostMart.Com Thank you for your trust in purchasing products with us. The company has already received your payment information. Ordering details are as follows:

Invoice No. :#THP2023106047301203
Invoice Date :2023-10-13 12:08:43

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

Someone else highlighted this issue in one of the other dozen or so threads on this sbject. They found the email in one of their non-Primary email folders (junk, spam, promotion, social, et al).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Soondae said:

I sent the 100 baht money order I got from the bank along with my physical package to the embassy, didn't know they had an thaipostonline. 

Ok, so this worked without any questions from the embassy?  How recent was this?    I may just decide to print out the QR code payment as proof but it shows "waiting" เตรียมสินค้าณ วันที่ 16-01-2024 and  วันที่คาดว่าจะได้รับสินค้า: 23-01-2024

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Someone else highlighted this issue in one of the other dozen or so threads on this sbject. They found the email in one of their non-Primary email folders (junk, spam, promotion, social, et al).

I never got a confirmation email like @zzzzz and have checked my spam, promotion, etc.  All I got from QR code was 

การชำระเงินสำเร็จ

ขอบคุณสำหรับการสั่งซื้อ #THPxxxxxxxxxx สามารถตรวจสอบรายละเอียดคำสั่งซื้อสถานะการจัดส่งสินค้า ได้ที่เมนู "การซื้อของฉัน"

Is there a number to call ThaipostMart?  Couldn't find it on their website.

2 hours ago, reefsurfah said:

I never got a confirmation email like @zzzzz and have checked my spam, promotion, etc.  All I got from QR code was 

การชำระเงินสำเร็จ

ขอบคุณสำหรับการสั่งซื้อ #THPxxxxxxxxxx สามารถตรวจสอบรายละเอียดคำสั่งซื้อสถานะการจัดส่งสินค้า ได้ที่เมนู "การซื้อของฉัน"

Is there a number to call ThaipostMart?  Couldn't find it on their website.

Ok I had to do a search but finally found it.  Not sure why gmail hides emails when I check all mail.  But it was just a receipt so should be good to go now.

On 1/5/2024 at 12:36 PM, djeetyet said:

Time to renew my American passport. Last time done at Pattaya outreach and so simple - but, times have changed.

This won't help you now, but just as an FYI -- they have resumed outreach and were actually in Pattaya a few months ago.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ChicagoExpat said:

This won't help you now, but just as an FYI -- they have resumed outreach and were actually in Pattaya a few months ago.

Does anyone know if that was a one off or will they now be doing that annually or biannually?

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Does anyone know if that was a one off or will they now be doing that annually or biannually?

I heard the goal was to resume outreach, generally... on the one hand, I'm guessing Pattaya would be a major destination for that, but on the other, it's such a short trip to Bangkok that maybe their time would be better spent elsewhere.  Just my 2 baht...

For a country that USA politicians claim to be the greatest country in the world, 6-8 weeks to renew a passport is unacceptable !

My Thai lady renewed her passport in ten minutes, no appointment necessary, just walk in, out in no time with a new passport. 

• Confused 1