US Passport Renewal Question

I don't know if any of this will help.

Assistance:

·     U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

Telephone: +66 2 205 4049

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

Email: [email protected]

American Citizens Services

·     U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai, Thailand (serving U.S. citizens in Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Kamphaengphet, Lampang, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Nan, Petchabun, Phayao, Phichit, Phitsanulok, Phrae, Sukhothai, Tak, and Uttaradit provinces)

Telephone: +66 053 107 700

+66 2 205 4000 (after hours)

Email: [email protected]

·     State Department – Consular Affairs

Telephone: +1 888 407 4747 or 202-501-4444

6 minutes ago, connda said:

You have to do it by mail.  Period.  End of discussion.  US embassy changed their rules.  Roll with it.

That doesn't address the issue of the "endless loop".   If I am not allowed to apply by mail, I can't finish the application

(or even START it).

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Turn off your VPN if you are using one.
Go to this site.  I checked it and it works. 
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renewing-your-u-s-passport-by-mail/

Or here.  I'm not sure why you say you're getting an "endless loop."  These are static web pages with nothing but information on how to fill out and submit a DS-82 passport renewal here in Thailand.  Best of luck.
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

• Agree 1

I got a new passport from the US embassy in Bangkok last June. I am in Sisaket province and completed the application online. I got stuck a few times until I realized that the payment of the fee was actually on a different State Department website. So that was confusing to me at the time. Since June I heard that they charged the method of paying for the return envelope to an online vendor and that that website is not simple. Aside from that I got my new passport in 36 days.

Sorry to hear you are in some endless loop. I think you are going to have to be very specific about where you are stuck to get any real help.

I almost got shamed by know-it-alls into doing my passport renewal myself. "It's easy" they said, "Do it yourself" they said.

I got all the way up to mailing the damned package off when my little inner voice said to get this checked by those who know. I went to these folks:  https://thaivisa-express.com/

They are located just off Soi Buakhao, easy trip from Jomtien. They charged me what I consider a great price and caught a mistake that would have nullified my entire package had I mailed it to the US embassy. And the girls are very easy on the eyes.

Edited by HappyExpat57
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, digbeth said:

US Embssy: passport renewal applications must be mailed to the U.S. Embassy

... but I want to do it in person....

The endless loops is not on the website 

It is not an option to do this in person unless you fly yourself to the US. As I just posted above, https://thaivisa-express.com/ is an outstanding outfit. They also do extension of stays at competitive rates, with or without you having money in the bank. Did I mention the girls are quite attractive?

3 hours ago, thaitom said:

I am trying to order the courier pass back envelope, I am on the product delivery page,   could someone tell me what address to use for product delivery ?  Thank you.

I figured that one out.... 

passport application,  

Now i'm on the emergency contact page and it will only show US states, my only contact is in Thailand. it is a required field.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Awhile back their was was discussions about using an agent out of Pattaya for passport renewal. 

I wish they would do this. I am trying to help a Thai-American citizen renew her passport before I renew my own later in the year. It's confusing for her, even though she speaks perfect Thai.  I never dreamed my own government would be making it difficult for me to renew my passport. I expect mindless bureaucracy on the Thai side, but this situation is intolerable and completely beyond the pale. What do Embassy officials DO all day?  No stat declarations, no personal appointments for passport renewal...etc.   They may as well admit that they are here to party and attend ceremonial dinners. Assisting citizens seems to be an afterthought. I'm lucky that I have a credit card or I couldn't manage to pay them, since cash seems unwelcome.  The bank draft worked well the only time I used it, but they apparently don't accept THAT anymore, either.

Edited by Felton Jarvis
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I almost got shamed by know-it-alls into doing my passport renewal myself. "It's easy" they said, "Do it yourself" they said.

I got all the way up to mailing the damned package off when my little inner voice said to get this checked by those who know. I went to these folks:  https://thaivisa-express.com/

They are located just off Soi Buakhao, easy trip from Jomtien. They charged me what I consider a great price and caught a mistake that would have nullified my entire package had I mailed it to the US embassy. And the girls are very easy on the eyes.

This service appears to be strictly for UK subjects.  Does anyone know of a similar service for US citizens?  Will this agency perform the same service for Yanks??

20 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

This service appears to be strictly for UK subjects.  Does anyone know of a similar service for US citizens?  Will this agency perform the same service for Yanks??

They also do US passports. They recently did mine. Give them a call or send an email. I'll pm you with the address.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Thank you VERY much.  The price is right to avoid all the other insanity. I will give them a visit.

What sold me was taking my package to them, they saw immediately that I had the wrong pictures. As we don't name and shame, I won't say exactly which shop screwed me. When I had them taken, I specifically asked for US photos, and they gave me two that obviously weren't the ones we usually give to immigration. Turned out they were UK photos. That meant I would have wasted all the time shipping to the US, just to have it sent back. WELL worth using the service.

• Thumbs Up 1

did mine Oct 12th<  ( 15 months before due to expire) paid by credit card $130 and 100 baht for ems return<
printed everything out and sent by ems ot bangkok 13th>  checked on 27th on the site:

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 10/24/2023. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested routine service when you applied. Routine service can take 8-11 weeks. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply at a local acceptance facility.

now its just a waiting game>

did this the day AFTER 90 day report, made copies of relevant info so IF i dont get it back when next 90 days is due will just mail everything in> 

NO VPN< no problems
no idea why anyone would pay an agent to do it, you still need pay for everything online, get ur own photos and have it mailed to you

start here
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

Click here to Check Eligibility
as far as photos>>>> just take ur current passport to the place to do ur photos and have them look the same> how hard can that be?

self explanatory< i am having mine sent to my address where i live in Phuket  🙂

NOT relevant but i just noticed>
No longer can see the +, smiles, laughs people have giving my posts?????

Edited by zzzzz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

did mine Oct 12th<  ( 15 months before due to expire) paid by credit card $130 and 100 baht for ems return<
printed everything out and sent by ems ot bangkok 13th>  checked on 27th on the site:

Application Status: In Process

The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 10/24/2023. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents.

You requested routine service when you applied. Routine service can take 8-11 weeks. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application at a passport agency or center, not the day you mail your application or apply at a local acceptance facility.

now its just a waiting game>

did this the day AFTER 90 day report, made copies of relevant info so IF i dont get it back when next 90 days is due will just mail everything in> 

NO VPN< no problems
no idea why anyone would pay an agent to do it, you still need pay for everything online, get ur own photos and have it mailed to you

start here

Click here to Check Eligibility
as far as photos>>>> just take ur current passport to the place to do ur photos and have them look the same> how hard can that be?

self explanatory< i am having mine sent to my address where i live in Phuket  🙂

NOT relevant but i just noticed>
No longer can see the +, smiles, laughs people have giving my posts?????

Yeah I should have been more specific,  I was referring to the US embassy address, not my home address.  

2 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Possibly because they don't handle renewals for passports unless it is a passport for a minor. Probably don't accept

payment by bank draft as they used to do.

If you would read the attached pdf you would see you are incorrect on both assumptions.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, zzzzz said:

Routine service can take 8-11 weeks.

I think that service estimate is for renewals made within the U.S. with no expediting. Seen quotes of that being up to 13 weeks now.

USEMBBKK says:

You can prepare your passport application package at any time and the process may take up to six to eight weeks from the date we receive your application to when you receive your new passport book by mail.

Lots of experiences shared here, recent reports are in the five to six week range.

In the many great threads on this topic here, unfortunately scattered across many sub-forums so a search is useful, most seem to get through the mail-in process without any challenging "loops".

Start here: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/instructions-for-ds-82-processing-by-mail-and-online-fee-payment-for-u-s-citizens-residing-in-thailand/

The photo requirements are clearly stated.

The biggest challenges for folks here seem to be payment for the passport and payment for the return EMS. So do a bit of research on those challenges, specifically get registered with pay.gov (can be done via id.me optionally) and the EMS site (although you can buy the EMS "package" at a post office) as some have reported.

https://www.pay.gov/public/form/start/790155895

https://www.thailandpostmart.com/product/1013460000929/

• Thanks 1

bamnutsak  HUH:
LOOK i sent my package to Bangkok on the 13th  by mail an this is what i was informed on the 27th
take it for what its worth>  Have you applied for a Passport recently? 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

I simply offered my guess on interpreting the status message you obtained when checking within the U.S. site. I think (again my conjecture) that passport renewals submitted by Embassies get put into the "expedited" category. I could be wrong, I often am.

I have not renewed my passport recently, but I will be doing so soon. Hence I follow this subject quite closely here and on FB. Most recent first-hand reports are in the five to six-week range, door-to-door.

• Like 1