Why does God >insert your grievance here<....?

The OP might specify which monotheistic version he prefers - Jewish, Christian, or Muslim.

IMO it would be somewhat presumptuous to question a purportedly omnipotent being about why they do things.

I am looking forward to what AI has to say about the problem of good and evil, given AI can be used for both. Human intelligence does not seem to have got very far with it.

30 minutes ago, stoner said:

the concepts of religion and god were made at times when humans were dumb... to be blunt.

2000 years ago the vast majority of our species couldn't even read or write.

so nope as a rational thinking adult i tend to not believe in the big guy in the sky. science has come a long way to putting this to rest. the puzzle is not complete yet and may never be but it gives a much more realistic idea over walking on water and feeding fisherman. 

life is cruel hence the bad things happening. an alligator doesn't ask the doe's mother....hey mind if i snack down on your child's neck for din din. we are simply a more evolved species. none the less mammals the same as the rest. 

born into a roman catholic family. mom is quite the thumper still. god bless her soul. 

I would change "most" with "some", but I think the rest is spot on.
image.png.08f0992a111a6944ab246ddf80b6edc7.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP might specify which monotheistic version he prefers - Jewish, Christian, or Muslim.

IMO it would be somewhat presumptuous to question a purportedly omnipotent being about why they do things.

I am looking forward to what AI has to say about the problem of good and evil, given AI can be used for both. Human intelligence does not seem to have got very far with it.

image.png.be1be89dbaaf9b0c94dd228b7141c8ce.png

There you go.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Yet you (and the other atheists) keep asking why God did this or that bad thing. Make up your mind. Do you believe in God or not?
Not that it makes any difference for me personally. 

Not exactly.

Atheists are asking why YOU believe your particular deity "acts" a certain way in your particular fables.

It's like asking why Voldemort doesn't just do X to cause Y to happen to Harry Potter.  They're discussing the actions of fictional characters in a story.

It's your story, so they want you to explain the inconsistencies.

Asking a muslim how come the moon is a solid sphere if Mohammad rode a winged horse into space and split it in two.  But in this case, at least there's evidence of an actual Mohammad, if not flying horses or sliced moon cheese.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, NoDisplayName said:

Not exactly.

Atheists are asking why YOU believe your particular deity "acts" a certain way in your particular fables.

It's like asking why Voldemort doesn't just do X to cause Y to happen to Harry Potter.  They're discussing the actions of fictional characters in a story.

It's your story, so they want you to explain the inconsistencies.

Asking a muslim how come the moon is a solid sphere if Mohammad rode a winged horse into space and split it in two.  But in this case, at least there's evidence of an actual Mohammad, if not flying horses or sliced moon cheese.

Not my story, not my religion. 
I don't follow any religion, yet I'm not an atheist. 
Actually, I don't really like organized religions and their dogmas, but I don't ridicule them. They are necessary for certain people and help them make sense of the world and themselves, and for that they deserve respect. 
Pointing out the obvious shortcomings of certain religions is fair, but without acknowledging also the good sides, is shortsighted and dishonest.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

I'm not talking about this board. I'm talking about the mere existence of tens of thousands of cretins who believe that God sent Trump to do his work.

Weren't you the one professing the woke inclusiveness in another thread? A bit hypocritical, don't you think?

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Actually, I don't really like organized religions and their dogmas, but I don't ridicule them. They are necessary for certain people and help them make sense of the world and themselves, and for that they deserve respect. 
Pointing out the obvious shortcomings of certain religions is fair, but without acknowledging also the good sides, is shortsighted and dishonest.

Okay, fine.  Play that game.

Atheists are asking religious people, not necessarily "you".

Out.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Of course I know. ;-)
It's the intention behind the question that is crucial. They don't want nor expect a proper answer. It's just a way to troll. And what do you do with a stupid troll question? You give a stupid troll answer, of course.

OK so you were lying when pretending not to know.

Typical of religious apologists, unable to have an honest discussion.

It's not trolling.

Google "the problem of evil" and dozens of serious topics are returned.

Again, typical of religious apologists, trying to rig the game by declaring a topic off limits for discussion.

It puts a bug up your behind because there is no satisfactory, honest answer.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

OK so you were lying when pretending not to know.

Typical of religious apologists, unable to have an honest discussion.

It's not trolling.

Google "the problem of evil" and dozens of serious topics are returned.

Again, typical of religious apologists, trying to rig the game by declaring a topic off limits for discussion.

It puts a bug up your behind because there is no satisfactory, honest answer.

You have no idea what you're talking about. But if it makes you happy, it's fine by me.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

asking why God allows this or that bad thing to happen.

so you're saying God controls everything?

you assume that human behavior has nothing to do with anything?

if someone gets killed in a drunk driving accident, did God "allow it" or did the person get behind the wheel drunk cause it? 

most bad things are being done by people, aren't they?

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Okay, fine.  Play that game.

Atheists are asking religious people, not necessarily "you".

Out.

There are no religious people posting in the "God thread" at the moment (in all the thread's history (3-4 years), I actually remember only 2 or 3 bible thumpers), only openminded people discussing life. So, if atheists have that particular question, they should ask religious people. OR, they could ask that question in a respectful and sincere manner, without resorting to trolling. In fact, the first time it was asked, I gave a proper answer, but that was obviously ignored in favor of more trolling. 

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

so you're saying God controls everything?

you assume that human behavior has nothing to do with anything?

if someone gets killed in a drunk driving accident, did God "allow it" or did the person get behind the wheel drunk cause it? 

most bad things are being done by people, aren't they?

Sorry @save the frogs, I'm not splitting between this and the other thread. This here was meant as a lighthearted joke and hopefully get rid of the trolls on the other one.
And for this reason I will stop posting here and leave the asylum to the inmates, so to speak. :biggrin:

23 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

The problem of evil is fundamental to a discussion of belief in god.

It's not a shortcoming, it's a fundamental flaw.

If the fundamental premise is nonsensical, what do you mean by the "good sides" of a religion?

People knowing the difference between right and wrong? Don't need religion for that.

Doing good works? Don't need religion for that.

You set up this thread trying to control the discussion in the belief in god thread and I think that is what people are responding negatively to.

11 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

You have no idea what you're talking about. But if it makes you happy, it's fine by me.

Interesting that you are non-denominational considering your preference for pontificating.

(Do you understand even that?)

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Sorry @save the frogs, I'm not splitting between this and the other thread. This here was meant as a lighthearted joke and hopefully get rid of the trolls on the other one.
And for this reason I will stop posting here and leave the asylum to the inmates, so to speak. :biggrin:

yeah, shake off those trolls man. lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

There are no religious people posting in the "God thread" at the moment (in all the thread's history (3-4 years), I actually remember only 2 or 3 bible thumpers), only openminded people discussing life. So, if atheists have that particular question, they should ask religious people. OR, they could ask that question in a respectful and sincere manner, without resorting to trolling. In fact, the first time it was asked, I gave a proper answer, but that was obviously ignored in favor of more trolling. 

"the first time it was asked, I gave a proper answer"

This is known as the "unshakeable certainty of the half educated".

Who would have the combination of ignorance and egotism that would allow them to think they had given "a proper answer" to a problem that has been discussed by humanity's greatest minds for centuries.

Oh yeah, a guy in a discussion group about SE Asia travel and visa problems.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Who would have the combination of ignorance and egotism that would allow them to think they had given "a proper answer" to a problem that has been discussed by humanity's greatest minds for centuries.

Take a deep breath and before you jump to conclusions, head over to the other thread, take some time reading through a few pages, and after that join the discussion if you feel like.
BTW, the "proper answer" meant I answered in a civil manner to the best of my knowledge, as opposed to answering a troll question with a troll answer. Much, much wiser people than me have answered that question already, and much better than I ever will. If you or the rest of the world have not stumbled upon them, it's got nothing to do with me.

Edited by Sunmaster
  • Agree 1

Read a bit of philosophy and the you will find the so-called 'problem of evil' has been pondered on by philosophers for hundreds, nay thousands, of years. If you wish to avoid complex writing, read people like Bertrand Russell, he does short essays covering topics like this available on the net. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Let's see how long before this thread is closed down. 

There was a religious (Jesus) thread closed early yesterday. 

I don't know who you are quoting; however, it's not me.

13 minutes ago, retarius said:

Read a bit of philosophy and the you will find the so-called 'problem of evil' has been pondered on by philosophers for hundreds, nay thousands, of years. If you wish to avoid complex writing, read people like Bertrand Russell, he does short essays covering topics like this available on the net. 

Years ago, I was talking with a fairly eminent psychologist, who had testified in many criminal trials. He said most criminals are a product of their home life, peer groups, interactions with authority, etc.

However, he did say there were rare occasions when he would meet a criminal who was pure evil, and there was no rational explanation for what they did.

Edited by Lacessit

52 minutes ago, Sunmaster said:

Take a deep breath and before you jump to conclusions, head over to the other thread, take some time reading through a few pages, and after that join the discussion if you feel like.
BTW, the "proper answer" meant I answered in a civil manner to the best of my knowledge, as opposed to answering a troll question with a troll answer. Much, much wiser people than me have answered that question already, and much better than I ever will. If you or the rest of the world have not stumbled upon them, it's got nothing to do with me.

Much, much wiser people than me have answered that question already, and much better than I ever will.

My point exactly. And what I said in my post.

If I want to ponder questions of the existence of god I won't be looking to ASEANNOW.

See ya.

Edited by cdemundo

4 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

Much, much wiser people than me have answered that question already, and much better than I ever will.

If I want to ponder questions of the existence of god I won't be looking to ASEANNOW.

See ya.

No, let's be honest here. It's not what you said at all. Your comment implied I had the audacity to answer a question to which you don't know the answer to. 

But no problem. I will sleep well regardless whether you read the actual posts or not.

See ya.

1 hour ago, cdemundo said:

You must have a very narrow view on life. Your loss.

54 minutes ago, cdemundo said:

See ya.

Where will you be looking?

There is no need to believe in a personal God to be aware of a Higher Force.

Edited by OmegaRacer

48 minutes ago, Keeps said:

I believe in God selectively. If I am in a spot of bother I will offer up a little prayer - "If you get me out of this sticky situation I promise I will never again XYZ" If I've backed a horse and it is running second "If you make the one in the lead fall at the last I'll give 10% of my winnings to the next homeless person I see" etc. 

Never give "him" another thought any other time. Makes me a complete hypocrite only believing when it suits me and for personal gain. 

As a result of that I would summarise that I don't believe (and that on occasions, I am a selfish, shallow individual).

LOL
At least you're honest with yourself. :thumbsup:

• Thumbs Up 1