Change visa from ED

I am an American citizen and have been staying as a temporary monk in Thailand for about a year on an ED visa. I'm planning to disrobe and already have a job. My understanding is that I will need to leave the country, get a nonimmigrant B visa, then come back for the work permit. 

Is this the only option? Because I have been a monk, I won't be able to show them bank statements as required for the B visa. Could I leave and come back visa free? What is the most efficient way to do this?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TonsuredTeat said:

Would welcome a recommendation from anyone with experience. 

The thing with agents that I found is that you should get one that operates in your Province because they know all the IOs thgere and know how that Office operates.  I know one in Bangkok I used years ago - if you are in Bangkok DM me. If not, then maybe go to the local Immigration Office and watch them - they are the ones going around organising everyone - get there early.

21 hours ago, TonsuredTeat said:

I am an American citizen and have been staying as a temporary monk in Thailand for about a year on an ED visa. I'm planning to disrobe and already have a job. My understanding is that I will need to leave the country, get a nonimmigrant B visa, then come back for the work permit. 

Is this the only option? Because I have been a monk, I won't be able to show them bank statements as required for the B visa. Could I leave and come back visa free? What is the most efficient way to do this?

Your post is confusing. You mention a Work Permit.Are you planning to work here ?  You mention bank statements.  These are not required to obtain a Work Permit and corresponding Non-Immigrant "B" visa.  Are you instead planning to retire, or marry a Thai ?

As I see it, your time in the monkhood is irrelevant, and you are going to have to leave the country.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:59 AM, allane said:

Your post is confusing. You mention a Work Permit.Are you planning to work here ?  You mention bank statements.  These are not required to obtain a Work Permit and corresponding Non-Immigrant "B" visa.  Are you instead planning to retire, or marry a Thai ?

As I see it, your time in the monkhood is irrelevant, and you are going to have to leave the country.

I'm not sure what's confusing - I directly stated I already have a job lined up. Bank statements are listed as a requirement for a B visa in some countries. And I never suggested my time as a monk exempted me from anything, I was just stating the reason I have an ED visa. I understand you are confused, but I was not confusing 😂

• Confused 1