Looking to go on holiday with a dog..........(and the wife)

What do people do for holidays if they have a dog?

We can't get sitters and the wife won't put the little cherub in kennels.

Looked at RVs, but the daily costs are astronomical.

Not prepared to invest in a caravan.....been there, done that.

Hotels are not a suitable environment for us....too stressful with the dog.

So are there caravan sites with statics, what are they like? Is glamping feasible? What about Thai resorts with chalet type accommodation?.....do any or all of these places generally allow dogs?

If you have stayed somewhere and been impressed with it I'd love to know the details.

Thanks in advance for and suggestions.

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-11 at 14.41.47.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The cherub looks like he is quite capable of looking after himself.

Sorry, could not resist.

He can in a fight......anything else and he struggles ......555

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

He can in a fight......anything else and he struggles ......555

I would have thought you could pay one of your neighbors or the wife's relatives to look after him. I'm surprised you can't find sitters.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Denim said:

In the UK my friends dog once gobbled an eighth of hashish of the coffee table much to my friends horror. It then went to it's basket ans slept for 4 days.

Might work.

I'll suggest that....555

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would have thought you could pay one of your neighbors or the wife's relatives to look after him. I'm surprised you can't find sitters.

The family have looked after him previously.....that's why they won't anymore....555.....he is a bit of a handful.

It would be irresponsible of us to palm him off onto strangers.....plus the wife won't consider that option anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, The Cyclist said:

Plenty of Glamping sites in the Khao Yai area where you could probably go with the dog.

Yes.....just searching now.....and came across one there.....'looks' good.

Could try a couple of nights and see how it goes.....cheers.

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Yes.....just searching now.....and came across one there.....'looks' good.

Could try a couple of nights and see how it goes.....cheers.

OMG 20k for three nights at Te Mata

• Haha 1

Just now, Will B Good said:

Going to need to rough it i think....555

Found a similar site for 17k.......money to burn now.

I would jump in the car and look around if Glamping works for you. There seems to be plenty of sites dotted around.

• Like 1

Just now, The Cyclist said:

I would jump in the car and look around if Glamping works for you. There seems to be plenty of sites dotted around.

Might do that.....there's also a few "Thai" resorts near the hotels we used to stay at in Khao Yai....might check them out.

20 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Thanks.....but hotels are something we want avoid.....he could trash the place.....and if he thinks it is the vet's he could kill someone.

A bit of a handful? Is he a reincarnation of the hound of the Baskervilles?

• Haha 1

Leaf resort on Koh lanta is fully muslim but I have stayed in their beachside bungalows with my two dogs.  Great place.

Be careful of poison baits on the beach however.

You can also beach camp.

Buy a decent tent and a portable loo.

I have also done that for over two decades here with my dogs.  The love it.  Especially sleeping alongside you in the tent.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A bit of a handful? Is he a reincarnation of the hound of the Baskervilles?

Ha......yes.....he's fine with us.....and we live in the wilds, so he runs free.....but he would struggle in the city, shall we say.

If you google the coastline north of Khao Lak and south of Ranong you will see there are lots of wilderness beaches were you can free camp.  Great stretch of Thailand.  There are also lots of Rivers and waterfalls in that area were you can also free camp....and fish if you interested.

I have stayed on one of these rivers in the bush for days on end.  Catching fresh water fish and then BBQing them on open fire for GF and doggos to eat.  Just a short drive down to the beach to give the dogs a run.  Make sure you check you dog nightly for ticks.  Lots here on the west coast all year round.

• Thumbs Up 1

As a final point....if you really love were you live there is no need to go on any holidays.  I have not travelled for years now if you preclude my occassional trip to Phuket.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I can help you out,i think you really want a holiday with the dog,i will look after the wife for you.

That way your wife can be sure you devote all your time to the dog,nice dog i must say.

Seriously,does the dog travel well?

What about other dogs?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

The family have looked after him previously.....that's why they won't anymore....555.....he is a bit of a handful.

Would he attack other dogs? If you're going to be camping among other dog owners, that might not go down too well...

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, jvs said:

I can help you out,i think you really want a holiday with the dog,i will look after the wife for you.

That way your wife can be sure you devote all your time to the dog,nice dog i must say.

Seriously,does the dog travel well?

What about other dogs?

You are the soul of kindness, we need more like you on ASEAN.

• Haha 2

@Will B Good We travel with our dog all the time, fuzzy Jack Russel, and tell the accommodations only 10kg, though about 12kg.   Many have limits of 10kg, though most don't even take that, and just pocketbook dogs.

Do you have a destination in mind ? 

Also sites, Gmap, Fido, PF bla bla bla, are consistently inaccurate with info.  Don't book or pay for anything, until you confirm the info by phone.   Booking.com is good for info, as usually accurate for pet friendly, and can get the approx. rate for room booking before calling.

Also tells you if pet charge or 'maybe charges apply'.   They can range from 'free' to 1500 was the funniest so far.  But 1-2-300 is a standard charge.   Some don't charge, but have specific room only for dogs, usually at higher rate than one you may want, or the dumpiest room.   Ma/pa guesthouses/bungalows usually work out better, but many not listed on booking sites.   Wife does a lot of calling around when we're O&A.

Some, most don't want dog on bed.  We travel with a top sheet, and broom, and leave the room spotless when checking out.   We bring a bed/mat, for optics if the state no dog on bed.   Some want dog in cage.   No thanks.   

Ibis hotels are pet friendly.  Ibis Styles, not so, maybe a few.  But 20m² is there standard room.   If using a booking.com or other site for info purposes, they won't have Ph#s, so just cross reference with Gmap or FB for ph #s.   As always, verify location, and Gmap sat. view & streetview will help to let you know if a decent area to walk the dog.

Gmap will show more hotels, but lack 'pet friendly' info, but...will usually have a ph# to call.

Most Nat. Parks do NOT accept dogs, if camping there crossed your mind.

TH as a whole is not very pet friendly.   And lack any green areas in metro areas.  Anything you can think of, feel free to ask.