Looking to go on holiday with a dog..........(and the wife)

19 hours ago, Adumbration said:

As a final point....if you really love were you live there is no need to go on any holidays.  I have not travelled for years now if you preclude my occassional trip to Phuket.

I hate where i live.....I desperately need to travel. 

19 hours ago, jvs said:

I can help you out,i think you really want a holiday with the dog,i will look after the wife for you.

That way your wife can be sure you devote all your time to the dog,nice dog i must say.

Seriously,does the dog travel well?

What about other dogs?

He travels well.....but we have no other option but to take him.....and thanks for your kind offer to look after the wife...555

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Would he attack other dogs? If you're going to be camping among other dog owners, that might not go down too well...

Mmmm that crossed my mind.....he hasn't got rage syndrome or anything like that.....but he can 'play hard'.

17 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@Will B Good We travel with our dog all the time, fuzzy Jack Russel, and tell the accommodations only 10kg, though about 12kg.   Many have limits of 10kg, though most don't even take that, and just pocketbook dogs.

Do you have a destination in mind ? 

Also sites, Gmap, Fido, PF bla bla bla, are consistently inaccurate with info.  Don't book or pay for anything, until you confirm the info by phone.   Booking.com is good for info, as usually accurate for pet friendly, and can get the approx. rate for room booking before calling.

Also tells you if pet charge or 'maybe charges apply'.   They can range from 'free' to 1500 was the funniest so far.  But 1-2-300 is a standard charge.   Some don't charge, but have specific room only for dogs, usually at higher rate than one you may want, or the dumpiest room.   Ma/pa guesthouses/bungalows usually work out better, but many not listed on booking sites.   Wife does a lot of calling around when we're O&A.

Some, most don't want dog on bed.  We travel with a top sheet, and broom, and leave the room spotless when checking out.   We bring a bed/mat, for optics if the state no dog on bed.   Some want dog in cage.   No thanks.   

Ibis hotels are pet friendly.  Ibis Styles, not so, maybe a few.  But 20m² is there standard room.   If using a booking.com or other site for info purposes, they won't have Ph#s, so just cross reference with Gmap or FB for ph #s.   As always, verify location, and Gmap sat. view & streetview will help to let you know if a decent area to walk the dog.

Gmap will show more hotels, but lack 'pet friendly' info, but...will usually have a ph# to call.

Most Nat. Parks do NOT accept dogs, if camping there crossed your mind.

TH as a whole is not very pet friendly.   And lack any green areas in metro areas.  Anything you can think of, feel free to ask.

Wow thanks for that.

We have run into problems re weight..... he's 25kg.....and not everywhere quotes weight restrictions in their blurb, which is a bit naughty if there is a no cancellation clause.

Been looking at camping.....and nearly all are no pets....as you say they are not receptive to the idea....and to be honest I don't blame them if business is good why take on pets?

The search continues......I think we will have focus our efforts along those of your wife's and seek out non-web site Thai resorts that might accommodate us.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

We have run into problems re weight..... he's 25kg.....and not everywhere quotes weight restrictions in their blurb, which is a bit naughty if there is a no cancellation clause.

.....I think we will have focus our efforts along those of your wife's and seek out non-web site Thai resorts that might accommodate us.

25kg is definitely going to restrict you.   Ibis has a 10kg limit, and we use them quite a bit @ Krung Thep.

When not there, use booking.com to find pet friendly in an area, and get lucky a few times.  But most of our bookings are guesthouses/bungalow not on that site, but from Gmap.  Kudos to the wife for all the effort she puts forward when planning an O&A.   We'll easily call 10-15 places sometimes, the night before, when getting ready to move on.   

We haven't needed to use this option yet, but with the EV, she, the dog, not the wife, could sleep in the car, mozzy free in AC comfort, as it uses very little in 'idle'.   We tried camping in the EV one night locally as a tester, and it 'worked'.   But we also didn't have half the house with us, as usual, so not sure how that would go if actually O&A.

Happy Travels