Disability in Thailand

still kicking

So, I often wonder how a person with a disability can survive in Thailand? I am slightly disabled now since I had 2 broken ankles. I can walk OK but have problems walking steps or using escalators. So how can someone be walking up steps if he is in a wheelchair? I am talking about crossing a main road where there is only a bridge with just steps and no access of a lift or wheelchair access. Every time I come to Thailand; I find it very hard to do anything in Thailand unless I get help from my Thai family. Don't get me wrong I am not Thai bashing I am just disappointed. Sorry for the rant.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Be grateful then your Thai family helps you still. You must be helping them in ways that provide incentive to be so attentive. Other than that you may as well forget and stop complaining about access for disabled. You are beating a dead stick there. Thailand will not be making such changes to aid your mobility as they do not care if you get out of the house. So button your lip and kiss your families butt for helping you still. haha... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

5 hours ago, still kicking said:

So, I often wonder how a person with a disability can survive in Thailand? I am slightly disabled now since I had 2 broken ankles. I can walk OK but have problems walking steps or using escalators. So how can someone be walking up steps if he is in a wheelchair? I am talking about crossing a main road where there is only a bridge with just steps and no access of a lift or wheelchair access. Every time I come to Thailand; I find it very hard to do anything in Thailand unless I get help from my Thai family. Don't get me wrong I am not Thai bashing I am just disappointed. Sorry for the rant.

If you are talking about crossing a busy road by using a pedestrian crossover (สะพานลอย), I have never seen anyone in a wheelchair use one, for obvious reasons, and my condo is next to one. I'd think you just have to cross on the road, perhaps at a stoplight where the danger might be minimized but is not insignificant. Best of luck to you.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thailand is not a country where people with disabilities are catered for, they have to shift for themselves.

Or, as the OP has said, have a Thai family to assist them.

My GF's brother can only walk a few steps, he has one of those three-wheeler electric scooters, and an attentive wife.

• Love It 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Thailand is not a country where people with disabilities are catered for, they have to shift for themselves.

Or, as the OP has said, have a Thai family to assist them.

My GF's brother can only walk a few steps, he has one of those three-wheeler electric scooters, and an attentive wife.

Months of physio are starting to pay off for me. Lucky we could afford it, Don’t know if it is covered under the 30 baht scheme for Thais?

Fortunately people are usually helpful re: navigating stairs, curbs, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

How about you minimise the problem by exercising!!!

Do something about it ,see a physiotherapist 

I see many of these fat old fools many younger than me especially fat middle-aged women using these Mobilty scooters !

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Confused 2

It's possible.

I have a thai neighbor in a wheelchair. He lives in a house, single level, big strong guy so not much physical assistance required. Has a three wheel motorized "scooter" he drives around that has some power, almost like a dune buggy type thing. He just transfers to the manual chair when he's done driving and I assume he parks at places that are flat and fairly accessible when he goes into town. That's what most people do anyhow. Has a nice front yard area for easy transfers and such on a quiet street.

He does live with relatives so I don't see what goes on the rest of the time.

A lot of expats may be limited by a non stable living situation as much as the disability. Get a stable living situation and you won't need to climb over overpasses or do long street treks over curbs, assuming you are still fairly young, strong and determined. Elderly and infirm is a different animal.

Edited by JimTripper

9 hours ago, thesetat said:

Be grateful then your Thai family helps you still. You must be helping them in ways that provide incentive to be so attentive. Other than that you may as well forget and stop complaining about access for disabled. You are beating a dead stick there. Thailand will not be making such changes to aid your mobility as they do not care if you get out of the house. So button your lip and kiss your families butt for helping you still. haha... 

I also use a wheelchair. I learned long ago to plan my travel method / routes to ensure there was a smooth footpath, ramps etc. 

• Thanks 1

For crosswalks with only steps and the walk bridge over the road, the only solution is to plan a different route where you can use an elevator.   Good luck 🙂

3 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

For crosswalks with only steps and the walk bridge over the road, the only solution is to plan a different route where you can use an elevator.   Good luck 🙂

I am lucky I live in the west where every shopping centre has a lift or facilities for the disabled, but I travel twice a year to Thailand I could not live alone in Thailand, fortunately my Thai family helps me getting around. 

• Like 1

I recall how awkward it was trying to simply walk down the road with pushchair and child... 

It became very apparent that the only way to safely get anywhere was to drive, even if it was just 500m away.

This highlighted the amplified difficulties people with mobility issues face on a daily basis in Thailand and is a true measure of the civilisation of society. 

We very rarely see disabled people when out and about, and when we do they are usually 'wealthy' and have arrived in a large kitted out mini-van and plenty of family (and or assistants) to help out.

• Agree 1

I also have a disability.

The most annoying thing I find is lack of hand rails going up steps into hotel's.

In saying that.

If you talk to the manager/owner they are usually very obliging and help.

And will put a hand rail in.

What is more annoying are the stupid, ignorant farangs who do not know what it is like to have a disability.

And make stupid and uncalled remarks.

You would not get a stupid remark from a Thai.

Thai people are very, very helpful.

I am a farangs not a Thai.

To those with a disability.

Thailand won't change in being disability friendly and you have to work  around it.

• Agree 1

A friend is currently wheelchair bound and we were discussing how useless so many of the ramps are.  At best, they are often way too steep for a wheelchair user to ascend without somebody also pushing from behind.  Also not unusual for them to have turns and bends to narrow to negotiate.  The BTS in Bangkok is notorious for this with the access ramps for the elevators.  

22 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

Yes, and when you are disabled you plan your future way of life ! You live in convenient areas, no hills etc. A well placed condo with lift and easy entrances, plenty of those . My condo in hua Hin also had a “ pulley” ( sorry don’t know the name ) to lower people into and out of the pool.Marvelous.

When you absolutely need to get across a difficult road for whatever reason, you use a taxi. How often does that happen ?
All down to planning. I know a gentleman who lives in Pattaya and has disabilities that are very difficult and he has a carer that comes in and does the shopping,  help with shower, errands , etc , even takes him to DRs appointments and a restaurant. He also has a cleaning lady once a week.

He has the choice to return to his homeland, but much prefers to stay in Pattaya where he says he is much better off. And yes, he has recently acquired a mobility scooter. 

On 1/13/2024 at 1:41 AM, still kicking said:

I am slightly disabled now since I had 2 broken ankles.

did this happen recently or in your past ? i ask because i have had 6 broken ankles and reconstructive surgery already at 47.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

did this happen recently or in your past ? i ask because i have had 6 broken ankles and reconstructive surgery already at 47.

The last one just a few months ago but I guess it is more of a phobia being scared of steps and elevators.

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

The last one just a few months ago but I guess it is more of a phobia being scared of steps and elevators.

join the club :)

i regularly roll over on my one ankle and buckle to the ground. hopefully in my older days i can still walk. 

Disability access is still a long way behind the west. But i thought back to what it was like when i was young - no ramps on curbs except for car driveways, few pedestrian bridges, no ramps to get into shops (just hope it is level with the pavement), many locations not wheelchair accessible, no mobility scooters. However, at least pavements were usually wide and fairly even and crossing roads not quite the death defying experience as in modern Thailand. Give it 50 years and things will improve.