Two Vietnamese Charged With Stealing From Japanese Man

webfact

image.jpeg

A MAN and a woman from Vietnam were arrested today (Jan. 15) on a charge of pickpocketing a Japanese man at Wat Phra Kaew together with two other accomplices who are still at large and using the stolen credit cards to buy almost 500,000 baht worth of goods, Matichon newspaper said.

Deputy chief of the Royal Palace Police Station Pol. Maj. Gen. Noppasin Poolsawat said the two Vietnamese suspects, Mr. Vo Van Dung and Miss Le Thi Ngoc Linh, had together with the other two gang member pickpocketed Mr. Shuji Takato on Dec. 30, 2023. They made off with three credit cards, 150,000 yen in cash  and a Japanese driver’s licence.

They immediately used the stolen credit cards to purchase 459,670.42 baht worth of goods.

Surveillance camera footage shows the four suspects had then taken a taxi to Soi Petchburi 17,  walked to the adjacent Soi Petchburi 19, and tried again to steal from another person but were unsuccessful.

by TNR Staff

TOP: Pol. Maj. Gen. Noppasin Poolsawat shows the portable credit card reader found in the room of one of two Vietnamese suspects. Photo Matichon

Full story: THAI NEWSROOM 2024-01-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

They immediately used the stolen credit cards to purchase 459,670.42 baht worth of goods.

And no questions or suspicions raised the the outlets where these purchases were made?

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And no questions or suspicions raised the the outlets where these purchases were made?

On line purchasing is simple if you have the physical card.

That is why I have a low credit limit on my card.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

They were using a mobile credit card reader. It was recovered from their room accommodation.

The Vietnamese woman had made 23 trips in recent times to Thailand. That, in itself, should have rung alarm bells.

I personally am not sure how the mobile credit card reader works, but it most certainly worked to their advantage.

I've only ever seen them in restaurants.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Thanks 1