Trump on trial: What to watch for in the second E. Jean Carroll defamation case

stats

Screenshot_17.jpg.c15aff308f238590bb9bbfe94b6971c7.jpg

(CNN) -- Donald Trump is expected back in a New York courthouse this week as he splits his time between the campaign trail and the courtroom with the 2024 presidential primary season officially underway.

The former president will be back on trial beginning Tuesday in Manhattan federal court for a jury to determine how much he will pay in damages for defaming columnist E. Jean Carroll in 2019 statements he made denying her rape allegations.

This is the second trial over Carroll’s allegations that Trump raped her in a luxury department store dressing room in the spring of 1996. In the first trial, a jury found Trump sexually abused and defamed Carroll and awarded her $5 million for his statements in 2022 attacking her and denying the allegations.

The defamatory statements at issue in this trial were made in June 2019, when Trump was president. Trump said in part, “I’ll say it with great respect: Number one, she’s not my type. Number two, it never happened. It never happened, OK?”

(more)

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/01/16/politics/trump-e-jean-carroll-what-to-watch/index.html

I am definitely no fan of Trump, but sometimes the American justice system seems to be just crazy.

As far as I know there is no proof that he even met her in that department store. And certainly no proof that he touched her.

Let's assume for a moment he met her in that department store about 30 years ago. And according to her she agreed to go with him into a cubicle where she would wear some sexy clothes so that he can join her in that cubicle and look at her.

Which woman, who is not interested in sex with a guy, would do that? So, if she did it, what did she expect?

As far as you know could this trial and the huge payment happen anywhere else except in the USA? I think it's just crazy.

6048704-beautiful-and-girl-wearing-white

• Confused 3
  • Love It 1

16 hours ago, Tug said:

Wonder how much more the hitler loving pow insulting tax cheating charity embezzleing bilko artist rapist is going to have to pay out hope it’s lots and lots more!

I hope he goes to jail. And I hope that happens for a valid reason like insurgency, corruption, or something like that.

And not because a woman claims, without any evidence, that he raped her almost 30 years ago.

• Confused 3

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope he goes to jail. And I hope that happens for a valid reason like insurgency, corruption, or something like that.

And not because a woman claims, without any evidence, that he raped her almost 30 years ago.

This is a civil trial, so no jail time.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

He has been found guilty of sexual assault.

He has been found guilty of defamation.

This trial is about how much he has to pay for the defamation, which he nows continue to do, and could lead to further defamation suits, but like his lawyer , Rudy.

But a least it allowed you to post a picture of a female in lingerie !

Yes, I understand what the trial is about.

But I still think it is crazy that a in a case like that, without any evidence that he even met that woman in that store, he has to pay when he basically tells everybody he didn't do it.

As far as I know even convicted murderer in jail are allowed to say they are innocent, they didn't do it.

But it seems if Trump tells people he didn't do it (ok, he does it the Trump way), then he has to pay. I think that is strange.

And this is why I asked if, according the members' knowledge, this is only something which can happen like that in the USA or also in other countries.

23 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

But a least it allowed you to post a picture of a female in lingerie !

Just in case you didn't understand the connection:

According to her, he asked her to show her some lingerie in the closet.

She agreed to do that.

And then she said he touched her.

Why did she agree to do it - if it ever happened?

26 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just in case you didn't understand the connection:

According to her, he asked her to show her some lingerie in the closet.

She agreed to do that.

And then she said he touched her.

Why did she agree to do it - if it ever happened?

Thanks, I did get the link, but not sure I needed a picture to reinforce.

You also still seem not to get what the trial is about. Trump has been found guilty twice, his lawyers presented his defence and as the judge said at the start of this trial.

“Since Carroll was able to prove she was sexually abused under state law, Trump's statements painting Carroll as a liar were defamatory”

So you seem to be saying that the justice system is only ok if you agree with the outcome?

Are you questioning the integrity of the court? The judge? The jury?

All countries have their own justice system, you either want to follow it or pay the price if you don’t, unless you support anarchy.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

Thanks, I did get the link, but not sure I needed a picture to reinforce.

You also still seem not to get what the trial is about. Trump has been found guilty twice, his lawyers presented his defence and as the judge said at the start of this trial.

“Since Carroll was able to prove she was sexually abused under state law, Trump's statements painting Carroll as a liar were defamatory”

So you seem to be saying that the justice system is only ok if you agree with the outcome?

Are you questioning the integrity of the court? The judge? The jury?

All countries have their own justice system, you either want to follow it or pay the price if you don’t, unless you support anarchy.

Personally, I think it's a mickey mouse system in which a person can be convicted without any evidence.

She doesn't even know on which day he supposedly raped her. 

Is that justice? I guess it's justice USA style. I don't really expect much from that nation but I still though they would look for evidence. Apparently not.

I understand that he continues to say he didn't do it. Why should he "admit" he did it if he doesn't even remember that he ever met that woman?

And about her reputation? She was the one who put on lingerie for him, at least that is what she claims she did. What kind of reputation can she possibly lose? 

And for the record, I don't like Trump. I think he should be in jail for what he did while he was president. But I think it's still appropriate to be fair and not convict anybody for anything without any evidence. 

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I think it's a mickey mouse system in which a person can be convicted without any evidence.

She doesn't even know on which day he supposedly raped her. 

Is that justice? I guess it's justice USA style. I don't really expect much from that nation but I still though they would look for evidence. Apparently not.

I understand that he continues to say he didn't do it. Why should he "admit" he did it if he doesn't even remember that he ever met that woman?

And about her reputation? She was the one who put on lingerie for him, at least that is what she claims she did. What kind of reputation can she possibly lose? 

And for the record, I don't like Trump. I think he should be in jail for what he did while he was president. But I think it's still appropriate to be fair and not convict anybody for anything without any evidence. 

So you don’t support the whole justice system? This decision? This state? This jury? This judge?

I did not see all the evidence, and I am sure you don’t either., as I was not that interested in all the details.

A guilty decision was delivered and if it was ‘micky mouse’ it will be overturned on appeal, let’s see.

It does not matter what we both think of Trump, but he is not above the law and the same laws apply to everyone, but it seems he has total lack of respect of this trial.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-e-jean-carroll-truth-social-attacks-manhattan-defamation-trial-2024-1

Edited by Georgealbert

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

So you don’t support the whole justice system? This decision? This state? This jury? This judge?

I did not see all the evidence, and I am sure you don’t either., as I was not that interested in all the details.

A guilty decision was delivered and if it was ‘micky mouse’ it will be overturned on appeal, let’s see.

It does not matter what we both think of Trump, but he is not above the law and the same laws apply to everyone, but it seems he has total lack of respect of this trial.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-e-jean-carroll-truth-social-attacks-manhattan-defamation-trial-2024-1

I guess it is obvious that I am not an American. If they want to have laws and justice like that it's up to them. I just hope they wouldn't pretend all the time to be a wonderful example for the rest of the world. They are not.

Obviously I don't know about what court cases are going on in the USA, I guess there are many.

But following the news, I didn't read about any other similar case to this one. Maybe the reason is that there is no other woman with such demands. Or maybe enough people came together to go after Trump with a case like that.

Or how many other guys to you know about who were convicted in a similar way?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

If I recall rightly she accused him of rape, which he was cleared of.

Could he then sue her for defamation ?

Your system does give an outsider some ...Kafka'esque  associations ...

How much of this is politics ?

That he's an ...hole is established long ago

52 minutes ago, bultaco44 said:

Could he then sue her for defamation ?

Your system does give an outsider some ...Kafka'esque  associations ...

How much of this is politics ?

That he's an ...hole is established long ago

Love the handle had one back in the day,preferred my Ducati and a close second was my 441 victor,wish I still had them they would be worth a fair bit of change.anyway he was found guilty in a civil trial the judge said it did qualify as rape.there are many many others that have accused him including a 15 year old that’s from back in the disco bone spurs days tho the statutes have run out on them.hope that helps,old Donnie needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut and his hands to himself.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

my 441 victor

Have two B-40ies

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

anyway he was found guilty in a civil trial the judge said it did qualify as rape

Hmm. Not as I remember it. Think it got changed to "sexual assault".

Can't be bothered to look it up, so I'll take your word for it

3 minutes ago, Tug said:

old Donnie needs to learn to keep his big mouth shut

That'll do him in as a candidate :smile:

4 minutes ago, Tug said:

and his hands to himself.

Agree with that.

He is one difficult child

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bultaco44 said:

You do not recall rightly. The judge was specific in stating that Trump met the legal definition of rape.

I don't claim to know if Trump did it or not - although I think his memory is so faded, he doesn't know.

What I do know is Alina Habba is incompetent and unlikeable, and so Trump will be lucky if he isn't convicted of manslaughter before this is over.  It's terrible judgement on his part to use her for his defense. She will provoke the jury into awarding max damages.

Any of you Trump fans disagree?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

On the docket of the current trial. No matter at the current hearing for damages. Maybe a matter in the appeal:2024-01-18_05h04_47.jpg.047fcb735fdbb38b3bc130f0e886e0a0.jpg

That seems to be little more than hearsay.

Contains that really credible statement, “I am not a Trump advocate “.

Any lawyer would discredit the writer in minutes under cross examination.

If this is an example of what the defence are hoping to overturn him being found guilty, it smells of total desperation.

It is also not enough on its own for an appeal and has nothing to do with this trial.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

On the docket of the current trial. No matter at the current hearing for damages. Maybe a matter in the appeal:2024-01-18_05h04_47.jpg.047fcb735fdbb38b3bc130f0e886e0a0.jpg

Meaningless. Bloomingdale and Lord & Taylor are 100% irrelevant. I also doubt that old lady is skilled in security assessment.

As for security, no security in a dept store is 100% effective. It's usually a bunch of fat old retirees who just want to earn a little dosh.

When I lived in NYC I often shopped at Bergdorf-Goodman. I am also an ex-agency case officer who is rather aware of surroundings all the time. Of course I never stole anything at BG, but I do not remember security as being anything special.

At Harry Winston, on the other hand.....

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Meaningless. Bloomingdale and Lord & Taylor are 100% irrelevant. I also doubt that old lady is skilled in security assessment.

It was on the court docket post jury decision. And her suggestion I would say is more that there was always a clinging sales associate present than in actual security.

And while I might offer my opinion as to why, I think maybe sometime during an appeal this may be at issue civil trial or not:

Her: You raped me.

Him: When did I rape you?

Her: I don't know.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

It’s funny that in many ways we see most things the same way, but just have a different view on some parts of this case, and it’s good to have that open debate.

I can’t answer about other convictions, as have never researched it.

But Trump is again not helping himself with his posts today.

From his Truth Social account.

“I feel an obligation to be at every moment of this ridiculous trial because we have a seething and hostile Clinton-appointed Judge, Lewis Kaplan, who suffers from a major case of Trump Derangement Syndrome,”

“Now, because I want to be at this Witch Hunt 100% of the time and watch what is going on, my attorneys asked the Judge for a one day delay so that I can attend the funeral of my beloved mother-in-law, with my wife and entire family, tomorrow in Palm Beach, Florida,”

“The Judge, angrily, and somewhat surprisingly, said NO, you can go to the trial, or you can go to the funeral, but not both. He is abusive, rude, and obviously not impartial but, that’s the way this crooked system works!”

But the zombie cult will continue to support and keep that money being donated.

I am sure his comments will not reduce the numbers of his followers.

Yesterday I saw this video. I think Glenn makes some interesting points.

Yes, and lets not forget this quote below.

Some other posters would still come along a defend their hero, remember he recently claimed “God made Trump to be America’s caretaker”

IMG_1996.jpeg

• Thanks 1