Thai air force to battle surging fine dust pollution crisis

webfact

On 1/16/2024 at 5:26 PM, Thailand said:

"Illicit production of crops, such as maize..." Seriously? Maize is an illicit crop?
"Enforcement (of burn bans and crackdowns) has been a challenge..." hahahahahaha How can they be taken seriously with a statement like this. "A challenge"? lol  Maybe a challenge to their intellect? It's not a challenge to actually carry out, unless the challenge is referring to the number of stuffed brown envelopes being taken into consideration and the level of laziness and incompetence.

Air Force??? I know that on occasion, various military branches are tasked with humanitarian missions, but this strikes me as more of a mission for an environmental department than a military. What a waste of military resources this will be! Nothing like degrading a military's readiness than going off mission and being distracted by things that will do absolutely nothing to help their readiness to do what their mission is - protect the country from human invaders, not dust particle invaders! Just because the word "air" is in "Air Force" doesn't mean they should be tasked with cleaning up the air! I could see them coming alongside an environmental department to assist them in some flights if water needs to be dumped on a fire, but it doesn't even seem like an air force would necessarily have that sort of airplane in their inventory. Perhaps? I don't know... maybe they'd have a need to protect troops from a forest fire sometime?? But an environmental agency and/or forestry department would certainly have those sorts of aircraft.
It just seems so strange... I'd think if you were going to task a military branch, you might choose the Army over the Air Force. Get those soldiers on the fields putting out those fires. That's normally how fires are put out and sometimes air tankers may assist, but firemen on the ground seem to be more the norm. But I still don't think I'd task any military, unless in a very brief and narrowly focused support role. My home has entire forest fire fighting departments in different regions. With the incessant problems Thailand has with these fires, I would think they would too. But, Air Force??? Just so silly and distracting from their mission as a military. No surprise though. They come up with the most incredibly absurd and completely useless "solutions" every year! Massive amounts of money wasted every single year from these politicians, whom I have many adjectives for that I'll refrain from using here.

Edited by Sig
clarity

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 10:09 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Mate - there is no place in Thailand without air pollution sometimes.  We are currently in Rayong in a small village - OK air but we are thinking of moving. We like the big city stuff and miss it - long drive to Pattaya and I dont like that place either.  Hate Bangkok, dont like Hua Hin, Phuket sucks, CM bad, Samui expensive/small - basically we dont like any of the tourist spots to live. Depending on how this income tax thing goes (if bad we will try Philippines - great air and much cleaner - but not Manilla), but if the tax thing is all good, then we will probably try an East Isaan city - the further west you go in Isaan towards CM, the worse the smoke season.  But there is nowhere without bad air sometimes. Phuket is the probably the best overall in that regards, but it is a seriously screwed up and corrupt small island that gets 6-10 million tourists a year - great to visit a resort on the west coast - not a good place to live (for us). 

I agree with you about everything. I have lately considered Malaysia but I don´t know... And also Philippines (Cebu City). In Thailand I was thinking Maybe Songkhla but that is to far south and all the <deleted> there at the border. Maybe that spills over to Songkhla. Maybe Nakhon Si Thammarat or Surat Thani (the city). I was also into Hua Hin before and maybe that is the best option still because of it is close to Bangkok. But I am really uncertain were it is best to live if the tax-things turns out to be no problem for expats.

• Thanks 1

On 1/17/2024 at 9:10 AM, mikebell said:

Using planes to combat dust is akin to using boats to prevent river floods.

And they actually did this. During the floods of Bangkok in around 2011, they deployed around 20 boats thinking that the boats' propellers would help push the flood waters into the sea more quickly...

You can guess the result.

Edited by Gaccha
Grammar error corrected

6 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

And they actually did this. During the floods of Bangkok in around 2011, they deployed around 20 boats thinking that the boat's propellers would help push the flood waters into the sea more quickly...

Intelligent people laughed...........!!

11 minutes ago, Gaccha said:

And they actually did this. During the floods of Bangkok in around 2011, they deployed around 20 boats thinking that the boat's propellers would help push the flood waters into the sea more quickly...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Wow. It was a thousand.

But I suppose if I had a 1,000 tablespoons to remove the water it would have been about as effective...

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Gaccha said:

And they actually did this. During the floods of Bangkok in around 2011, they deployed around 20 boats thinking that the boats' propellers would help push the flood waters into the sea more quickly...

Hence my use of this example of Thai ineptitude.