France's Macron shifts to right on schools and birth rate

stats

Screenshot_11.jpg.b7e70bfc97f7be81144bcbf488c0258c.jpg

French President Emmanuel Macron has come off the fence and opened the way for policies that are unmistakably on the political right.

That is the unanimous verdict after he gave a long, televised press conference on Tuesday evening. He promoted uniforms in schools, a crackdown on drugs gangs, and steps to boost France's declining birth rate.

Left-wing commentators deplored his apparent shift from the crafted political balance of recent years. But they said they suspected all along the right was where his heart lay.

Commentators on the right said they were delighted by his apparent conversion to their views, but suspected it was all a sham.

(more)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68004289

Macron has always been a fraud.

Reminds me of the Groucho Marx quote. "These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others". He'll say whatever he thinks gives him the best chance of maintaining power. Weak little men like him often employ such tactics. He's probably seen the shift to the right happening throughout Europe and wants to get on the bandwagon before it's moving too fast. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, stats said:

That is the unanimous verdict after he gave a long, televised press conference on Tuesday evening. He promoted uniforms in schools, a crackdown on drugs gangs, and steps to boost France's declining birth rate.

I agree with the first two, and disagree with the last. There are too many people on the planet and we need to get back to a few billion less.

Why was there not already a crackdown on drug gangs? Is France soft on criminals?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Macron has always been a fraud.

Reminds me of the Groucho Marx quote. "These are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others". He'll say whatever he thinks gives him the best chance of maintaining power. Weak little men like him often employ such tactics. He's probably seen the shift to the right happening throughout Europe and wants to get on the bandwagon before it's moving too fast. 

Wonders never cease. For once, we agree.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1