Thai Lion Air...Your Experience?

12 hours ago, treetops said:

Only non-stop alternatives are from BKK instead of DMK with Thai or Nepal Airlines.

TG is double the price of Thai Lion Air - Nepal Airlines not much better!

come on guys... has KNOW one been on Thai Lion Air in the last year or so ?

7 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

Flew with them yesterday , what do you want to know ?

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Flew with them yesterday , what do you want to know ?

Great!

OK, i have NO worries about luggage allowance as only take a small cabin bag, OVER luggage allowance seems to be the main complaints online, the other complaint is cancellation DATE & or changing their time schedules ?

...this is what worries me the most, but is it no more worrying than the other budget airlines?

10 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

Great!

OK, i have NO worries about luggage allowance as only take a small cabin bag, OVER luggage allowance seems to be the main complaints online, the other complaint is cancellation DATE & or changing their time schedules ?

...this is what worries me the most, but is it no more worrying than the other budget airlines?

Yes, I was booking a flight and they asked whether I wanted to pay for extra luggage , and I couldn't see what my free luggage allowance was and so I didnt pay for extra luggage, when I booked I found out that my luggage allowance was 10 kilos and I had to pay another 1000 Baht at the airport for my luggage being over weight 

• Thanks 1

I fly Lion Air & Air Asia n Thailand. I would not hesitate to fly  if comvenient for my schedule. I first used them traveling touristing Indonesia years ago. Budget airline, same as Air Asia in my experience.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Yes, I was booking a flight and they asked whether I wanted to pay for extra luggage , and I couldn't see what my free luggage allowance was and so I didnt pay for extra luggage, when I booked I found out that my luggage allowance was 10 kilos and I had to pay another 1000 Baht at the airport for my luggage being over weight 

What route did you fly? (mine is for a visa run)

were your flight times on time?

12 minutes ago, Dcheech said:

I fly Lion Air & Air Asia n Thailand. I would not hesitate to fly  if comvenient for my schedule. I first used them traveling touristing Indonesia years ago. Budget airline, same as Air Asia in my experience.

yes i found Air Asia EXCELLENT, however NOT flown them for 5 years ....just read on another thread here they are crap as the guy said they cancelled his ticket from Melbourne and NO refund just points!!!:shock1: ...AND you CAN NOT now contact Air Asia!:unsure:

will see if any more POSITIVE comments here about Thai Lion Air, ...may well look to book up, as its 9,000B ...TG is 16,700B:excl:

Edited by CaptainPeacock

57 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

To Kathmandu? No.

It’s always something. I flew Air Asia, BKK – Bali RT last hot season. I use either of those two airlines for CM to BKK & back. The only thing that I make sure of is to buy extra baggage if coming back from my home country (not Indo) always BUY IN ADVANCE, never at check in.  Thai Lion also flies via D. Muang, well so does Air Asia but that got switched up during the recent virus thingy, that was going around. As for dropping flights and getting refunds. I haven’t had that problem, with them or other airlines. Lucky, I guess.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

yes i found Air Asia EXCELLENT, however NOT flown them for 5 years ....just read on another thread here they are crap as the guy said they cancelled his ticket from Melbourne and NO refund just points!!!:shock1: ...AND you CAN NOT now contact Air Asia!:unsure:

will see if any more POSITIVE comments here about Thai Lion Air, ...may well look to book up, as its 9,000B ...TG is 16,700B:excl:

So, in the end, even if they screw you on baggage allowance, schedule and any (unlikely) cancellation benefits, you'll still fly with them.

At least you'll be prepared if it does go pear-shaped.

But, if they deliver a 5-star performance, be sure and post as such on whatever travel advisory website floats your boat (and on here). On another forum, someone was asking about Thai Vietjet Air and a lot of opinions and poor reviews were based on their pre-Covid startup whereas the more recent comments indicated an all-round improvement.

I have used flightradar24 to check the on-time performance of individual flights and have changed itineraries when it was important, like missed onward or international connections. The on-time performance of a point-to-point flight is somewhat less critical IMHO.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

So, in the end, even if they screw you on baggage allowance, schedule and any (unlikely) cancellation benefits, you'll still fly with them.

At least you'll be prepared if it does go pear-shaped.

But, if they deliver a 5-star performance, be sure and post as such on whatever travel advisory website floats your boat (and on here). On another forum, someone was asking about Thai Vietjet Air and a lot of opinions and poor reviews were based on their pre-Covid startup whereas the more recent comments indicated an all-round improvement.

I have used flightradar24 to check the on-time performance of individual flights and have changed itineraries when it was important, like missed onward or international connections. The on-time performance of a point-to-point flight is somewhat less critical IMHO.

Many THANKS for ya post!

RE: "To Kathmandu? No. "

WHY?

RE: "they screw you on baggage allowance"

Will NOT happen as cabin allowance is 7KG (40 x 30 x 20 cm) ...i doubt my cabin bag weights more than 4 KG!

RE: flightradar24

just had a go - and only data for last 3 days...says Unknown STATUS for 16 Jan 2024 flight...i'm i missing something?

My Flight no: SL220

flightradar24.com/data/flights/sl220

I think they want money :unsure: for extra data?

(More than 7 days of SL220 history is available with an upgrade to a Silver (90 days), Gold (1 year), or Business (3 years) subscription.)

• 1 month later...

UPDATE & Review:

Thai Lion Air = Absolute GARBAGE of the highest order! 💩

WHY, cos they CANCELLED only 2 days prior to departure, & NO flights for several days!...now I have to go to chaengwattana immigration at the last minute to sort out an extension!

WARNING: ....NEVER Ever book with this unreliable piece of sh!te Thai Lion Air!:bah:

I would worry that the pilot had or didnt have the training to fly into Katmandu. Just a normal pilots license is not enough. Dont forget 1992, TG 311 BKK/KTM, it never made it. Flew right into a mountain. All souls perished. 

59 minutes ago, CaptainPeacock said:

UPDATE & Review:

Thai Lion Air = Absolute GARBAGE of the highest order! 💩

WHY, cos they CANCELLED only 2 days prior to departure, & NO flights for several days!...now I have to go to chaengwattana immigration at the last minute to sort out an extension!

WARNING: ....NEVER Ever book with this unreliable piece of sh!te Thai Lion Air!:bah:

Seriously, you book the cheapest budget airline you can find and what do you expect? You could have paid a bit more to go TG but you chose not to. Caveat emptor. 

Thai fly daily, Thai Lion Air maybe three times a week? So no flights for several days and undoubtedly it was cancelled because it was pretty empty. Thai would have flown regardless. Really, I don't see how you can come back and whinge, you get what you pay for. 

I never fly budget airlines other than internal flights or maybe somewhere with frequent and short flights like Vietnam. It is not worth the small saving in my opinion, definitely not for anywhere over two hours or with infrequent flights. Really, I don't see how you can come back and whinge, especially as it seems the flight timing was important to you but you went with the cheapest budget airline.

Edited by josephbloggs