can you understand today's actors mumbling on tv?

On 1/18/2024 at 8:47 PM, Will B Good said:

Play the audio through wired, Bose speakers AND have to play subtitles, which is annoying, just to make sure I know what's going on.

I use headphones, but sometimes still need subtitles. One good thing about DVDs is that they mostly have a DVD option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

On 1/19/2024 at 8:45 PM, loong said:

I totally agree with the posters that have to use the subtitles. Many times I have given up trying to watch something if it doesn't have subtitles as i have no idea what is going on.

Not just the audio. I sometimes have to look up the internet to understand what went on. Didn't work for one movie though as apparently the movie wasn't supposed to make sense!

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I use headphones, but sometimes still need subtitles. One good thing about DVDs is that they mostly have a DVD option.

Switched to airpods last night....b****y sugarcane lorries with modified exhausts......

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

A DVD without a DVD option would be pretty silly, wouldn't it?

On 1/18/2024 at 9:57 AM, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

To my ears, the volume of content on streaming services seems to vary considerably. If there is music or violent scenes with explosions or gunfire, the volume is excessive, yet in the same movie the dialogue is often so low that it becomes difficult to understand.

I have frequently wondered whether the streaming services like Netflix somehow degrade audio quality in order to conserve bandwidth when streaming their content. This article states that it is just inconsistent volume levels within the content: https://www.techhive.com/article/579229/streaming-tvs-invisible-annoyance.html. The article also mentions some solutions for specific types of TV or media players. I'm not entirely convinced and suspect that the audio signal is possibly intentionally degraded by the streaming service.

Right. Backgound noises are like thunder. The actors voices are like they would be speaking in another room or 100 yards away. Digitalised progress, I guess.

• Agree 1

It's not just the technical (sound) effect. Todays young folks (not only actors) slurr their speach, avoiding clear pronunciation of words (modern talking).

I stream in English, German and French. Same thing.

- How refreshing it is to listen to Gregory Peck, where every single word can be understood.

On 1/18/2024 at 10:11 AM, samtam said:

Yes, agree! No enunciation. As others have said, when regional English accents are used, the audience must be very limited. I'm British, but I have to put on subtitles to understand what is being said. Also dialogue very often includes very local phrases. In an attempt to be authentic, they have lost a large audience. But I dare say the same is true when you are in UK, the variation of accents is difficult to comprehend. American English has similar issues. It's subtitles for everything for me now, which proves some of the jargon, (when you see it written) is very specific to a very limited group of people

As non English speaking person, I understand much better other non English speaking people when they talk English than the native ones with their hundreds dialects. This despite our funny accents.

19 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apologies. That should have read "One good thing about DVDs is that they mostly have a subtitle option".

On 1/18/2024 at 10:06 PM, scubascuba3 said:

but it isn't everything, it's certain movies and series when they mumble a lot for effect.

Another annoying thing in movies is fight scenes in the dark, ridiculous 

I've seen plenty of movies that look as if they were made in a dark room. It's very annnoying.

On 1/21/2024 at 12:32 AM, spidermike007 said:

. It cost me over 400,000 baht, but it was worth it was worth. It it's incredible and the sound is amazing. The dialogue is super clear. 

I am not saying this is the case for you, but it is the case for many here. Many have already inherited some form of inheritance from their family, considering the average age here, while others had great job opportunities in their youth. Those of us here between 44-60 are mostly generation x and did not get the same opportunities our older peers did. We went through some of the worst recessions and job shortages in recent history. For a great proportion of us our parents are still alive, well and spending their money on expensive old folk homes. 

The point i am getting at is that not everyone has 400 000 disposable income for a home stereo that will eventually be, like all tech, obsolete.

If i had 400k there are a gazillion ways i would find to spend it that i consider more important than a home stereo. You, spidermike, are very lucky to have as much cash to spend

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 1