Asus Laptop Repair in Pattaya ?

henrik2000

Hello, can you recommend a shop for Asus laptop repair, beyond what is said on Google Maps? A shop that has spare parts and some English language on their hands? (I do speak basic Thai.)  

It's an AsusPro laptop from 2014 with a fantastic keyboard (for me anyway) and extra components for me (more RAM, more HDD). It's used mainly for job-related Office work, not for games or graphics, and it would have been fine for another few years.  

I will be in Jomtien for around 12 days, and a service shop could keep the broken laptop for a few days, if there is a chance for a repair. The laptop has already been examined by small upcountry PC shops who said it might be dead for good and anyway they didn't have the parts. 

Backgrounds: 

In the half dark of my room/mind I had tried to insert a CINCH plug into the wrong laptop sockets (network, USB, HDMI, I don't know, but not the charger socket I think; I tried softly of course, but I guess I caused a short circuit, I did not use any mechanical force). The laptop, that had been on, suddenly went totally blank, not even the light for a connected charger was on anymore. The charger itself is okay, it was tested OK with a voltmeter by the shop upcountry and its green light is on. 

The cinch plug came from a USB loudspeaker that had been turned on; the AsusPro laptop doesn't have a reliable Bluetooth signal, so I connected the Bluetooth speaker with a cinch cable (which worked well when inserted properly). 

Thanks for your real life experiences with Asus  service shops in Pattaya!

Edited by henrik2000

The chances of a repair company having the exact spare part for your 2014 laptop in stock is probably pretty small, but Tukcom on Pattaya Thai Road (Pattaya South Road) is where you want to go. 3rd / 4th floors. It is a very well known IT mall in central Pattaya.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, henrik2000 said:

Hello, can you recommend a shop for Asus laptop repair, beyond what is said on Google Maps? A shop that has spare parts and some English language on their hands? (I do speak basic Thai.)  

It's an AsusPro laptop from 2014 with a fantastic keyboard (for me anyway) and extra components for me (more RAM, more HDD). It's used mainly for job-related Office work, not for games or graphics, and it would have been fine for another few years.  

I will be in Jomtien for around 12 days, and a service shop could keep the broken laptop for a few days, if there is a chance for a repair. The laptop has already been examined by small upcountry PC shops who said it might be dead for good and anyway they didn't have the parts. 

Backgrounds: 

In the half dark of my room/mind I had tried to insert a CINCH plug into the wrong laptop sockets (network, USB, HDMI, I don't know, but not the charger socket I think; I tried softly of course, but I guess I caused a short circuit, I did not use any mechanical force). The laptop, that had been on, suddenly went totally blank, not even the light for a connected charger was on anymore. The charger itself is okay, it was tested OK with a voltmeter by the shop upcountry and its green light is on. 

The cinch plug came from a USB loudspeaker that had been turned on; the AsusPro laptop doesn't have a reliable Bluetooth signal, so I connected the Bluetooth speaker with a cinch cable (which worked well when inserted properly). 

https://pattaya2u.business.site/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

2014 ... time to upgrade

Yes. Those consumer grade laptops don't last long, do they? I have a military spec Thinkpad X250 from 2014 still going strong. I did get rid of the windows crap and installed Linux though which I'm sure helped with the longevity. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Backgrounds: 

Get them to swap in an SSD if you haven’t already done so yourself, if they can get it up and running first. Horrifying to see you writing of HDD in 2024. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Yes. Those consumer grade laptops don't last long, do they? I have a military spec Thinkpad X250 from 2014 still going strong. I did get rid of the windows crap and installed Linux though which I'm sure helped with the longevity. 

How and why would the OS affect the longevity of a laptop please?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

How and why would the OS affect the longevity of a laptop please?

Windows upgrades routinely need more ram. Every time you need to open the laptop up to upgrade your memory, ssd etc you risk loosening connections that may cause problems later. The x250 still has the original 500 GB m.2 ssd and the original 4GB ram. More than enough for current Linux offerings, so the laptop hasn't been opened. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Windows upgrades routinely need more ram. Every time you need to open the laptop up to upgrade your memory, ssd etc you risk loosening connections that may cause problems later. The x250 still has the original 500 GB m.2 ssd and the original 4GB ram. More than enough for current Linux offerings, so the laptop hasn't been opened. 

If that's what you think, OK. I totally disagree with your first statement though.

So if you start with say 16GB RAM, plenty plenty for W11, and are very careful when you open it up to clean your fan, it should last just as long as one with 4GB RAM using Linux.

49 minutes ago, NextG said:

Loosening connections 🤭

Which connections would that be? The screws holding the underside on?

That would be the limit of any possibility of ‘loosened connections’. 

So you've never had a laptop apart then obviously. There's typically a number of ribbons that need to be disconnected and reconnected to update the ssd or ram. 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, gargamon said:

So you've never had a laptop apart then obviously. There's typically a number of ribbons that need to be disconnected and reconnected to update the ssd or ram. 

Nonsense. I know that exact model. There are no ribbons that need to be disconnected. You are just making things up. You undo the screws from the base, remove the base, slot in new RAM/M.2 SSD(one screw to fix M.2 SSD to motherboard). 2.5 SATA SSD is one or two screws more. No ribbons and no complicated manoeuvres. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

56 minutes ago, NextG said:

Nonsense. I know that exact model. There are no ribbons that need to be disconnected. You are just making things up. You undo the screws from the base, remove the base, slot in new RAM/M.2 SSD(one screw to fix M.2 SSD to motherboard). 2.5 SATA SSD is one or two screws more. No ribbons and no complicated manoeuvres. 

Of course the x250 is easy to repair as that is a major requirement of being military spec, to be field repairable. But this thread is about some consumer grade Asus laptop I'm sure is not quite so easy. 

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

Depends...maybe...

If you are satisfied to just use command line instead of GUI...

Try OPENSUE...and use it on an old laptop...

And then, get a new Desktop with much more powerful components for less money.

5 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Of course the x250 is easy to repair as that is a major requirement of being military spec, to be field repairable. But this thread is about some consumer grade Asus laptop I'm sure is not quite so easy. 

Weird. Now you are pretending that you were discussing the ASUS and not your X250…

• Confused 1

Just now, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes.

But, I already added maximum RAM to my 2014 Acer laptop.

And, it's now slow as molasses in the Cold Season.

Your laptop has a cr@p ATOM processor designed for Netbooks. Even with an SSD fitted it would still be a poor performer. But how about you post something on-topic?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, gargamon said:

This is an ASUSPro device from 2014

Show me the ribbons that need to be disconnected. 
Hint: There are none. It’s a straightforward job. 
Either way, the OP’s issue is with something else. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, gargamon said:

No there is not. The SSD and RAM are easily accessible without taking the ribbons for the keyboard and mousepad off if you are careful. If not, they go back easily. Well that's on my Asus Vivobook.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, NextG said:

This is an ASUSPro device from 2014

Show me the ribbons that need to be disconnected. 
Hint: There are none. It’s a straightforward job. 
Either way, the OP’s issue is with something else. 

Totally agree Mr Next.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I long-ago did all of these.

But, the problem is with viewing UTUBE videos.

They have slowed down to a crawl for some reason in the past half-year.

Otherwise, the compute is fast enough for text processing, etc...

Google MEET video is also fine.

UTUBE is now just a crawl...

And plenty of buffering, too.

18 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Depends...maybe...

If you are satisfied to just use command line instead of GUI...

Try OPENSUE...and use it on an old laptop...

And then, get a new Desktop with much more powerful components for less money.

But of course, a bit more difficult to transport anywhere. Stop talking rubbish please Gamma.

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I long-ago did all of these.

But, the problem is with viewing UTUBE videos.

They have slowed down to a crawl for some reason in the past half-year.

Otherwise, the compute is fast enough for text processing, etc...

Google MEET video is also fine.

UTUBE is now just a crawl...

And plenty of buffering, too.

Read some folks think YT purposely slows it down to non paying members, along with those like myself, that use an AdBlocker.

Use to get the pop up window 'allow ads' which if wanting to see, refresh, or pause AdBlocker.   Then stopped getting the window, but, like you, seemed to run slower.   Now seems to be back to normal, and that's w/AdBlocker on.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Read some folks think YT purposely slows it down to non paying members, along with those like myself, that use an AdBlocker.

Use to get the pop up window 'allow ads' which if wanting to see, refresh, or pause AdBlocker.   Then stopped getting the window, but, like you, seemed to run slower.   Now seems to be back to normal, and that's w/AdBlocker on.

I was actually thinking the same thing.

However, I have not noticed much slow-down on my desktop computers using AdBlock for UTUBE...

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I was actually thinking the same thing.

However, I have not noticed much slow-down on my desktop computers using AdBlock for UTUBE...

Try running something like Glary Utilities to clean up all the 5..t in your PC. Make sure your network card is set to 1GB/s in Device Manager.