America and Iran step closer to the brink of war

Social Media

9 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you think he is referring to WW1 or WWII?

Did I get it wrong? Was he referring to WWI? Is BritmanToo even older than my revised estimate?  I don't think I would be nearly so grateful to BritmanToo for whupping the Kaiser as I would be him doing in Hitler and company. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The EU is the 4th Reich.

Godwin's law:

"Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies,[1] is an Internet adage asserting: "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."[2]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/22/2024 at 6:53 PM, spidermike007 said:

I think I'm more targeted approach like taking out the Ayatollah and some of the top officials in Iran would be a good place to start. You don't need a war for that. 

I have no idea why you think that would work. For starters they would have thought of that, and any successful assassination would only result in new leaders even more determined to punish America.

Do you imagine that if Iran managed to assassinate Biden and the cabinet the US would just roll over and cry about it?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no idea why you think that would work. For starters they would have thought of that, and any successful assassination would only result in new leaders even more determined to punish America.

Do you imagine that if Iran managed to assassinate Biden and the cabinet the US would just roll over and cry about it?

@thaibeachlovers

Your take of Iran seems to be that of an ant colony, or a beehive. Essentially, it's demeaning point of view, which implies the people in question do not have their own wishes, politics, motivations and so on - but that they are ruled by some overreaching imperative, some all encompassing plan.

Iranians got politics same like every other country. So if the main man suddenly croaks (for whatever reason) there's sure to be some struggle for control. It might not be very dramatic, or very public - but it's there. Such things happened in the past, when Iranian prime ministers and governments changed. Assuming everyone will rally behind an agreed leader, rather than take the chance to 'upgrade' their own position is not necessarily a very informed point of view.

As for your USA 'example' - the USA has a clear structure as to who gets to hold power in such events. And a tradition of following rules. Granted, your orange haired favorite is doing is best to undermine that, and I'm sure some of you MAGA guys would object to Harris becoming POTUS....

On 1/22/2024 at 8:17 PM, Wrwest said:

Hmm, 

I hear you, however, I cannot fault Biden for responding to defending against Houthi initiated attacks on shipping in international waters, nor responding to attacks on Americans in Iraq. I recommend some semblance of balance in your outlook.

If you had been following my posts on Ukraine you would know I'm against war. Had America used it's influence on Israel to create a Palestinian state thirty years ago, Hamas would not exist, October 7 would not have happened, the Houthis would not be targeting Israeli linked ships, and we wouldn't be watching 2.3 million people slowly being bombed to bits on tv.

Next.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you had been following my posts on Ukraine you would know I'm against war. Had America used it's influence on Israel to create a Palestinian state thirty years ago, Hamas would not exist, October 7 would not have happened, the Houthis would not be targeting Israeli linked ships, and we wouldn't be watching 2.3 million people slowly being bombed to bits on tv.

Next.

I've seen many of your posts on Ukraine. You seem curiously indifferent to the murderous bombing attacks Russian has launched on purely civilian facilities. At least Israel has the excuse that Hamas uses civilian facilities as depots and stations for launching attacks.

6 hours ago, Morch said:

@thaibeachlovers

Your take of Iran seems to be that of an ant colony, or a beehive. Essentially, it's demeaning point of view, which implies the people in question do not have their own wishes, politics, motivations and so on - but that they are ruled by some overreaching imperative, some all encompassing plan.

Iranians got politics same like every other country. So if the main man suddenly croaks (for whatever reason) there's sure to be some struggle for control. It might not be very dramatic, or very public - but it's there. Such things happened in the past, when Iranian prime ministers and governments changed. Assuming everyone will rally behind an agreed leader, rather than take the chance to 'upgrade' their own position is not necessarily a very informed point of view.

As for your USA 'example' - the USA has a clear structure as to who gets to hold power in such events. And a tradition of following rules. Granted, your orange haired favorite is doing is best to undermine that, and I'm sure some of you MAGA guys would object to Harris becoming POTUS....

I think every one would object to Harris becoming president, even Democrats. She is our worst nightmare, and is spectacularly incompetent. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I think every one would object to Harris becoming president, even Democrats. She is our worst nightmare, and is spectacularly incompetent. 

The point made was that 'object' can mean different things to different people.

For you, it seems like object=deflection.

8 hours ago, Presnock said:

Yeah but look how rich he got for all his fumbling!

It's a lot easier to get rich if you lack any shred of integrity, and you're willing to lie, cheat, steal, hustle and connive without any sense of morality or ethics. 

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 3:51 PM, Presnock said:

Yeah but look how rich he got for all his fumbling!

How rich he got. I'm reminded of Ann Richards comment about George W. Bush. Something to the effect that he was born on third base and thinks he hit a home run.

In fact, Trump destroyed his father's business and ended up deeply in debt because of overpaying for various other businesses. In other words, he got outnegotiated. It was only The Apprentice that rescued him from penury. As was pointed out, if he had just invested the money his father gave him in an index fund, he would have done better.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1