Everything that's wrong with EVs ... an endless list

3 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Let's pull that back a bit. Yes ICE vehicles can be better choice if your climate is Canada cold many months a year. But ICE vehicles are not "happy" at -50C, unless they are specifically designed for it. 

I'd agree they are not happy when first starting up, once warmed up they would be OK. At that temperature they might need modified fuel.

Don't you guys get around on snowmobiles? Let me guess, there's no battery-operated model yet.

18 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Don't know about worldwide, but in USA, per # of vehicles affected, Tesla didn't even make the top 10 last year:

image.png.8a4c18351a5d6250b6f9b5b10704eabf.png

*** how accurate, don't know, don't care, just happen to be link at top of search results.

Wo= need to look at the % of cars on the road vs the number of recalls. In the US Honda is the most popular car....there are zillions on the roads....despite being the EV of choice, there are many fewer Teslas on the road. We need to know the % of Teslas vs the % of Another brand to compare.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

along with being plugged into a heating element overnight and preferably in a garage if wanting to start the next day, or after a few hours at the pub/restaurant.   Not an endorsement for drunk driving.

image.png.01a532408573646bfc7969b90a545e8a.png

It's a moot point whether plugging in the car lowers the viscosity of the oil in the crankcase, or keeps the battery used to start it warm enough to function properly. Probably both.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I'd agree they are not happy when first starting up, once warmed up they would be OK. At that temperature they might need modified fuel.

Don't you guys get around on snowmobiles? Let me guess, there's no battery-operated model yet.

Most snowmobiles are still 2 strokes, an ICE vehicle, but very different in the cold. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

It's a moot point whether plugging in the car lowers the viscosity of the oil in the crankcase, or keeps the battery used to start it warm enough to function properly. Probably both.

So, now we are talking about ice vehicles needing additives in their fuel and needing heating to be able to start them in extreme cold, and antifreeze in the radiator… 🤣

But do tell us more about the dumb Tesla drivers and their foolish ev’s in the cold recently… 🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

If people consider OTA software updates a recall, then EVs certainly are a POS.  Our MG ZS has one of those recalls, for the past 6 months or more.   So we haven't driven it, as I haven't done the update/recall yet.

How can I drive a vehicle that I can't use all the functions of Google or Apple play properly until updated.   It's nothing but a 1750 kg road hazard that sits at our carport. 😂

Khun LA, I have a few questions here. Are OTA updates not really over the air, do you have to install the new software or patches manually? You cannot use the car without Google or Apple pay, would the car not run with these updates? Would it really be a road hazard? 

In other messages you have used the terms BEV is this Battery EV as in it uses the battery exclusively? And ICEV....does this mean hybrid? Thanks

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Bless you, are you unaware of the amount of money the fossil fuel Industry has spent spreading disinformation about climate change and the role their emissions play in it? The car manufacturers - whether petrol, diesel or EV) are probably not far behind. A rational response would be to invest the money in better public transport and encouraging people to use bicycles again or their own two feet (walking, guys , it's good for you) and not only would the air be cleaner, everyone would be fitter, healthier, and happier. Probably a bit slimmer, too.. Heavens, some of the grumpy old guys on here might even cheer up! 

Another rational response would be putting passenger vehicles on a diet.

My 1974 Honda Civic weighed 680 kg. The same Honda Civic in 2023 weighs 1353 kg, almost double. Imagine how fuel efficient that Honda would be if it went back to the 1974 weight.

• Like 1

Not all diesel engines are belching toxic and smelly fumes when they are serviced according to their schedule

and diesel is used in the parts delivery to EV production plants, during production, distribution of EV from factory to designated country and from entry port to local dealer

Some manufacturers in Thailand already meet Euro 5 or 6 compliance for their engines

Prepare to receive! Euro 5 car standards come into force on 1 Jan. 2024 for small diesel cars - all types of trucks.

https://www.mreport.co.th/news/government-news/306-mandates-euro-5-emission-standards-for-vehicles-starting-2024

Euro 5 the standard for diesel fuel on January 1st 2024

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40034126

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Bless you, are you unaware of the amount of money the fossil fuel Industry has spent spreading disinformation about climate change and the role their emissions play in it? The car manufacturers - whether petrol, diesel or EV) are probably not far behind. A rational response would be to invest the money in better public transport and encouraging people to use bicycles again or their own two feet (walking, guys , it's good for you) and not only would the air be cleaner, everyone would be fitter, healthier, and happier. Probably a bit slimmer, too.. Heavens, some of the grumpy old guys on here might even cheer up! 

Agree, but I'm not going to walk 14 hrs to my favorite coffee shop/restaurant, when I can be there in less than an hour if I drive ... 😂

image.png.808f7d9a3ea218bba1ffc5eae3d47b84.png

Point taken though.  I used to razz the wife, as she drove to the park to exercise, less than 1 kms away, instead of riding her bike.   After pointing out the hypocrisy, she changed her ways.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

Of course I'm aware that the petrol industry raises the climate change science. I have written as much to the delight of the people on here, knowing as I do having been a university post-grad and post doc, the importance of grants and how they say researchers to do studies that support the narrative. 

I totally agree that we would be better off walking, especially for those short 1-2 km journeys that Americans always use cars for, because there is no useful public transport. But in cities, take Paris for an example, where you don't have the mammoth fatties that you do in the US, people walk and the women are slim, it is because it is a ball ache to get the car out, then find a parking space afterward. The problem is rural areas where there is no public transport. Where I live it is 7kms to the nearest shop. I can't spend 4 hours each day to walk to buy food and then back, lugging the groceries. We do have motors bikes but tbh I do not like the Missus riding them because of the idiots on the road. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, retarius said:

Wo= need to look at the % of cars on the road vs the number of recalls. In the US Honda is the most popular car....there are zillions on the roads....despite being the EV of choice, there are many fewer Teslas on the road. We need to know the % of Teslas vs the % of Another brand to compare.

How's this ... better ?

9 minutes ago, retarius said:

Khun LA, I have a few questions here. Are OTA updates not really over the air, do you have to install the new software or patches manually? You cannot use the car without Google or Apple pay, would the car not run with these updates? Would it really be a road hazard? 

In other messages you have used the terms BEV is this Battery EV as in it uses the battery exclusively? And ICEV....does this mean hybrid? Thanks

Can you understand ev owners frustration when someone as anti ev/pro ice as yourself eventually asks questions as fundamental as these ?

• Love It 2

2 minutes ago, retarius said:

Comparing jet engines with ICEs is a bit of a stretch.

Guilt as charged ... 😂

Just wanted to experience being a troll ... not fulfilling at all 😂

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

How's this ... better ?

Better but I need to see the denominators for the the previous league table. This tallies with experience, Ford make <deleted>ty vehicles (I still own one I bought for my wife to learn to drive in and it has a recall over the crap gearbox) and Honda don't. But we do have to understand what are minor recalls and what are serious one. I do hate this aggregation of data done by other persons and like to see the actual data myself, before drawing conclusion.....many folk look at the same data and draw different conclusions. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, HighPriority said:

So, now we are talking about ice vehicles needing additives in their fuel and needing heating to be able to start them in extreme cold, and antifreeze in the radiator… 🤣

But do tell us more about the dumb Tesla drivers and their foolish ev’s in the cold recently… 🙄

Batteries are batteries, irrespective of whether they are in an ICE or an EV. Both are less functional in the cold.

Antifreezes have two functions, they also elevate the boiling point of the radiator fluid.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/chemistry/states-of-matter-and-intermolecular-forces/mixtures-and-solutions/v/boiling-point-elevation-and-freezing-point-supression

Before you get too excited, batteries in EV's need cooling as well, to prevent thermal runaway.

16 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, but I'm not going to walk 14 hrs to my favorite coffee shop/restaurant, when I can be there in less than an hour if I drive ... 😂

image.png.808f7d9a3ea218bba1ffc5eae3d47b84.png

Point taken though.  I used to razz the wife, as she drove to the park to exercise, less than 1 kms away, instead of riding her bike.   After pointing out the hypocrisy, she changed her ways.

Your favorite coffee shop /restaurant is 61 km away? Barbaric.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, retarius said:

I was being sarcastic, to my knowledge, none, most of the OTA/Over The Air updated would stop you from operating the car, I don't think.  Though may make the driver assist functions perform better, possibly safer, if you even use them.

Ours is simply a media player update, I think.   Has nothing to do with any aspect of actually driving or driver assist apps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I was being sarcastic, to my knowledge, none, most of the OTA/Over The Air updated would stop you from operating the car, I don't think.  Though may make the driver assist functions perform better, possibly safer, if you even use them.

Ours is simply a media player update, I think.   Has nothing to do with any aspect of actually driving or driver assist apps.

You'll have to start putting sarcasm alerts on your posts, your brand is just too subtle for at least two of us.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Your favorite coffee shop /restaurant is 61 km away? Barbaric.

Tell me about it, though really nice, and few kms away is Ban Krut beach.

Here's the plus of owning the EV for us, as we go there once every week or 2.   If owning an ICEV, we probably wouldn't bother, as the petrol would end up costing more than the meal.   They make a nice green curry & roti, along w/smoothies & pastries.  And a lovely setting.

The EV gets us out of the house so much more than the ICEV did.  Any trip under 250 kms R/T is basically free transport w/solar vs 500-600 baht, depending on petrol price.

The other best spot I like is the other direction, and about 30 minutes away.   Awesome pandan pancakes:

image.png.980e9674d573895e7a15fe444a8697a4.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

IMO they are not that good for the environment - that is a 'belief' being pushed hard by vested interests. 

To be fair, they do help reduce air pollution in city environments.

However, while power stations are still using fossil fuels as the source of about 70% of the world's electricity, they are not saving the planet, and never will. For the most part, EV's simply transfer the CO2 emissions to an electricity supplier.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They both use fossil fuels, and obey the same thermodynamic laws.

Yes but the amount of oxygen in the air decreases dramatically as you go higher....it is not do with the temperature but the molecular weight of oxygen. Both engines will perform less well on low oxygen tensions, jet engines will perform less poorly....but there is a reason why commercial jets don't fly at 100,000 feet despite the claimed increased efficacy in the charts in Khun LA's post. 

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't remember where I read it. Something like: The production of EVs is so environmental unfriendly that an EV has to be use for more than 80,000km before its environmental impact becomes positive.

So it seems environmentally they only make sense for people who drive them a lot and for a long time.

80,000 kms is a lot now ... 😎

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1