Everything that's wrong with EVs ... an endless list

34 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Not sure if you’re trolling but I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt.

With OYA updates, in some instances, they install automatically without the need for user intervention. I guess this applies for very small, quick updates like recently with my BYD when the voice command for opening the sunshade didn’t work after a regular service.

For more major updates however, this has to be initiated by the user as the update plus installation takes about 30 mins. The manufacturer suggests a battery charge of no less than 85% and also Wi-Fi connectivity instead of the mobile SIM card that comes with the car. The infotainment screen displays a notification that an update is available, that can be installed at the owners’ convenience.

BEV means a fully electric vehicle. ICEV stands for internal combustion engine vehicle. Hybrids are ICEVs that have a battery (apart from the standard 12 volt battery). There are 2 kinds of hybrids; PHEV (plug in hybrid electric vehicle) or normal HEV (hybrid electric vehicle, sometimes referred to self charging hybrids or mild hybrids). The battery in a HEV is charged by the combustion engine and regenerative braking. You cannot charge it from an electrical output like a wall socket. Battery size is usually 1-2 kWh. PHEVs can also be charged by the same two methods above but can also be charged from an EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment I think) ie an electrical outlet or a dedicated wall charger. Different charging speeds naturally.

@retarius apologies, as I thought you were just having fun with me.   Since on the EV threads, took for granted you knew what OTA, BEV & ICEV meant, along with a few other acronyms.

Now you understand why the one post, stating Tesla being most recalled car, since considering OTAs as a recall is a bit silly.  Would mean my phone & laptop/Win10 has been recalled 100s of times, if not more, and yet, never taken in for service. 🤣

Thanks 'G' for filling him in 👍

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@retarius apologies, as I thought you were just having fun with me.   Since on the EV threads, took for granted you knew what OTA, BEV & ICEV meant, along with a few other acronyms.

Now you understand why the one post, stating Tesla being most recalled car, since considering OTAs as a recall is a bit silly.  Would mean my phone & laptop/Win10 has been recalled 100s of times, if not more, and yet, never taken in for service. 🤣

Thanks 'G' for filling him in 👍

Yes I agree. And no, I wasn't;y having fun with you.

58 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I said it before but I’ll say it again. It’s only the anti-EVers who thinks EV owners are virtue signaling. They have really bought into the propaganda.

Anyhow, you’re extremely late to the party with your claims and links. Lack of charging stations. Not an issue with most EV owners as charging mostly done at home. Battery lasting only 5-10 years. Where did you get that little nugget from? Not good for the environment. Have you parked your nose next to a diesel pickup recently? If not, I’ll be happy to oblige with my diesel work truck. Software programming issues. I guess you don’t realise that most modern vehicles, EV and ICEV have lots of software so this is a software issue, not EV issue.

As for your Sydney fire, you do realise that the battery had been taken out of the car in question and left exposed to the elements? Anything flammable can be a hazard if not properly handled.

And finally, your friends’ Toyota EV. The only Toyota EV that I know of is the Bz4x (correct me if I’m wrong). This is the one that was recalled as there was a risk of the wheels falling off. The problem your friend had is not a related EV issue but a poorly designed Toyota issue.

No one is telling you to buy an EV. Those of us who own one would probably never buy an ICEV anymore. Just saying.

Yes - you are 'just saying' why you bought an EV - virtue signalling that you are 'saving the planet' while those of us with a diesel are not. 

I am not telling you to buy an ICE, just why I wont buy an EV. 

But you are fully invested in that EV decision and sticking to your guns - I do admire that. 

But I aint convinced and so is the majority - and most of us dont see negative issues with EVs as propaganda - we actually view the EV industry claims as propaganda.  If every single car on the planet was magically turned into an EV (and in this unicorn land all the infrastructure is in place and great) that woud reduce the total carbon that is released into the atmosphere by how much each year?  If you google that you will get "50 or 60%" but that is total 'propaganda' - when you realise that ask your self - 'why the propaganda?' 

Now if EV vehicles become extremely reliable and stable and cheaper over 10-15 years, and the Govt introduces subsidies and offsets (eg. EV insurance premiums are very high), then they would be a viable alternative to proven realiable cheaper (better?) ICE vehicles.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

This is such an odd thread, now it's basically people just commenting on other people's comments but no one is actually talking about the cons of an EV.

I'll throw it out there from my point of view.

I bough an ICE last year and my wife will be buying another vehcile this year or next year.  

I've advised her either ICE or EV is fine because we already have an ICE.

IMO, for Thailand, and our type of travelling (live in Bangkok most of the time,  but monthly excursions outside of bangkok to places like Khao Yai, or Hua Hin further drive would be Khon Kaen, any further and we fly), we need an ICE for the out of Bangkok Excursions, and if we had a second car then EV is fine because it'd be for city driving in Bangkok only.  

If we were to only get 1 car, it would have to be ICE at this stage in the EV cycle and Thailand's infrastructure. 

The main cons for me personally are:

1. Charging time - I'm not waiting anything more than 5-10 mins at a station, depsite how well equipped many fuel stations are in Thailand (practically shopping districts), I just don't like waiting around.

2. Charging avaliability - Thailand's Charging stations network is certainly growing and growing fast, but even in the UK it's not exactly universally avaliable yet, but let's say I go for a 3 day trip in Khao Yai, finding a charging station near me can be difficult, and our hotel will likely not have one, which means having an EV becomes more of a liability to me.  Even in my Condo there's only 2 EV chargers and there's like 20 EV cars already, which means odds are, my car won't be charged while I'm at my condo, when the <deleted> am I supposed to charge my car?

3. Distance/Range - It's still shorter than tradiational ICE for most EV's and definitley compared to hybrids, so it's not suitable when I travel outside BKK

4. Battery issues and replacements/maintence/damage - If your battery needs replacing, currently it's the same price as the car, this is a huge issue, from what if you get a faulty battery? what if you're in an accident? Currently I just hear many nightmare stories about having to replace batteries with EVs and the longevity issues are a big concern to me.  

I'm actually very pro EV, because I do think it is the future, and I'm sure these issues I've raised will be addressed very soon since they are very obvious issues that EVERYONE knows about already and every EV maker will continously try and address these points.  

I think it's likely within the next decade they will figure out -

a) Make battery range equal to a normal full tank from a ICE

b) Make charging so fast that 5-10mins of charging you'll get around 50% of the batter range, enough to get you to your destination for a full charge up

c) Charging stations will be plentiful and everywhere.  Condos/Malls/Parking areas will have charging station for (almost) every parking space.

d) Batterys are much more robust and maintain same performance for at least 10 years without any drop off.  

I'm sure there will also be many more improvements over time.  For now I would prefer to have an ICE as my sole vehicle, but happy to have an EV as a secondary vehcile.  I look forward to the day I can say I'm happy to have an EV as my sole vehicle.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, azt219 said:

This is such an odd thread, now it's basically people just commenting on other people's comments but no one is actually talking about the cons of an EV.

I bough an ICE last year and my wife will be buying another vehcile this year or next year.  

IMO, for Thailand, and our type of travelling (live in Bangkok most of the time,  but monthly excursions outside of bangkok to places like Khao Yai, or Hua Hin further drive would be Khon Kaen, any further and we fly), we need an ICE for the out of Bangkok Excursions, and if we had a second car then EV is fine because it'd be for city driving in Bangkok only.  

If we were to only get 1 car, it would have to be ICE at this stage in the EV cycle and Thailand's infrastructure. 

1. Charging time - I'm not waiting anything more than 5-10 mins at a station, depsite how well equipped many fuel stations are in Thailand (practically shopping districts), I just don't like waiting around.

2. Charging avaliability - Thailand's Charging stations network is certainly growing and growing fast, but even in the UK it's not exactly universally avaliable yet, but let's say I go for a 3 day trip in Khao Yai, finding a charging station near me can be difficult, and our hotel will likely not have one, which means having an EV becomes more of a liability to me.  Even in my Condo there's only 2 EV chargers and there's like 20 EV cars already, which means odds are, my car won't be charged while I'm at my condo, when the <deleted> am I supposed to charge my car?

3. Distance/Range - It's still shorter than tradiational ICE for most EV's and definitley compared to hybrids, so it's not suitable when I travel outside BKK

4. Battery issues and replacements/maintence/damage - If your battery needs replacing, currently it's the same price as the car, this is a huge issue, from what if you get a faulty battery? what if you're in an accident? Currently I just hear many nightmare stories about having to replace batteries with EVs and the longevity issues are a big concern to me.  

I'm actually very pro EV, because I do think it is the future, and I'm sure these issues I've raised will be addressed very soon since they are very obvious issues that EVERYONE knows about already and every EV maker will continously try and address these points.  

b) Make charging so fast that 5-10mins of charging you'll get around 50% of the batter range, enough to get you to your destination for a full charge up

c) Charging stations will be plentiful and everywhere.  Condos/Malls/Parking areas will have charging station for (almost) every parking space.

d) Batterys are much more robust and maintain same performance for at least 10 years without any drop off.  

I'm sure there will also be many more improvements over time.  For now I would prefer to have an ICE as my sole vehicle, but happy to have an EV as a secondary vehcile.  I look forward to the day I can say I'm happy to have an EV as my sole vehicle.  

All good point, though do disagree with a couple;

... CS network is really good in TH

... Battery issues .. I think most don't have to worry about that moving forward.  Especially if LFP batteries are used, and should outlast the rest of the car.  At 20k km a year, there no reason why you shouldn't get 20+ yrs out of the battery pack, trouble free.

Yes, and agree, EV isn't for you, since can't charge at home, and a bit impatient to do while O&A.

Those would definitely be the 'cons' if applicable to people's circumstances, for TH.

Actually surprise the 'lack of haters' posting, and hope it's a trend.  As most discussions have been quite civil, and people sticking to the facts and own opinions.

Any luck and the other EV threads will remain the same, and almost on topic.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, azt219 said:

Excellent post. As an EV owner, I don’t suggest to,everyone that they should get an EV. I merely try to point out the advantages that I personally get, due to my circumstances and lifestyle.

Of course I would highly recommend an EV as a second car, assuming you have an ICEV. This way, you have most bases covered. Living in a condo without charging facilities is a challenge for some. Personally for me, it won’t be an issue as I would happily sit in my car for an hour while charging at a public station as I would be watching videos on my car infotainment screen, something which I would be doing at home anyway.

Kudos for a balanced and reasonable post from a (currently) non EV owner.

• Agree 2