Need Answers And Advice With A Problem

DamianMavis

I'm going to take a wild guess as to what I can and cannot post since ThaiVisa won't give me a straight answer as to what is ok and what is not so here goes.....

I was scammed into depositing money into someones account and then they didnt deliver on the goods they promised, obviously my fault for trusting the guy but I did it and now I'm wondering if there is anything I can do. If you have any ideas or answers please let me know here. What I've got:

His name (most likely fake but who knows!)

His mobile number that is now on permanent answering machine service

His or a friends bank, account name and account number

His wife or significant others Real first name.

Anything I can do with that to try and track the guy and get my money back? It's not a TON of money but it's the principal of the whole thing.

Damian

Hope this is acceptable since I didnt and won't reveal any names?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can report it to the police but they may take no action, in which case you would probably need a lawyer to file a case in court. You did not mention it but I guess you also have the name of the beneficiary’s bank, in addition to the account number, and with a court order the police can get the account blocked and obtain the address of the account holder. Whether the account has not already been cleared out and closed and the criminal disappeared is another question, of course.

Also the mobile phone number would, with a court order, enable the police to obtain name and address, ie the details the buyer of the SIM card gave, but whether these details would be correct are again another question.

--

Maestro

...more experience than the average BM

What’ a BM? First 15 results on acronymfinder.com:

BM Bowel Movement

BM Beli Manastir, Croatia (automobile code)

BM Black Male

BM Bachelor of Medicine

BM Bachelor of Music (degree)

BM Back Matter

BM Bad Manners

BM Ballistic Missile(s)

BM Basal Metabolism

BM Basement Membrane

BM Basilar Membrane

BM Batman

BM Beachmaster

BM Beam

BM Behavior Modification

--

Maestro

Since this is not alot of money, as you say, you should perhaps give serious consideration to just let it go and chalk it up to experience. You obviously do not know who you're dealing with and this bad situation could get alot worse for you if matters become violent.

What’ a BM?

Some guy's have been using this terminology recently and at first I thought it referred to 'Bums', although some of your other interpretations may well fit better, but in this instance I have a feeling it relates to Bored Members :o

Moss

Since this is not alot of money, as you say, you should perhaps give serious consideration to just let it go and chalk it up to experience. You obviously do not know who you're dealing with and this bad situation could get alot worse for you if matters become violent.

Since Damian is a "professional martial artist", I don't think violence is too much of a worry for him. :o

If you're in BKK, go see a private investigation agency.

Yours is a common problem and they have much more experience than the average BM, IMO.

You can report it to the police but they may take no action, in which case you would probably need a lawyer to file a case in court. You did not mention it but I guess you also have the name of the beneficiary's bank, in addition to the account number, and with a court order the police can get the account blocked and obtain the address of the account holder. Whether the account has not already been cleared out and closed and the criminal disappeared is another question, of course.

Also the mobile phone number would, with a court order, enable the police to obtain name and address, ie the details the buyer of the SIM card gave, but whether these details would be correct are again another question.

--

Maestro

Thanks alot for the replies guys! And even though I'm really ticked at them right this moment thanks to ThaiVisa for NOT deleting this post and leting me get the info I had wanted 5 days ago.

Damian

Since Damian is a "professional martial artist", I don't think violence is too much of a worry for him. :o

This is a joke reply, right?

Obviously, not much any fighter can do against gangsters and thier bullets.

This guy who scammed me has posted the same scams on at least 2 other local websites that I found and hes using the same name for each one!..... Im sure hes getting money from a bunch of different people, I still dont understand why Thaivisa wont allow me to post his name to warn people about this particular guy... sheesh. Why hide and protect a thief so others fall victim to him? Not very nice in my opinion.

Damian

When seeing this guy advertisements on websites , he clearly intends to scam more people likewise .

And because you are a victim yourself allready , I would race to the police .

I would consider what station to get , a bigger or head office would do more good then a small one .

They will help you out ! With some proven facts of your own account and the proven fact that you can show them

this scammer is getting greedy for more on the internet , you will have a case to show them . I am not saying they can make your money come back ,

but they surely can bust the bastard . Go today!

This whole police thing.... I just don't know, I brought someone very close to me in to the police at Thonglor to report her rape and after leering at her the whole time they took the report (twice) they turned around and threatened to deport me...... if I go and report a money scam Im sorry but they wont just turn around and scam some money from me too? People have had good experiences with cops here? I just figured this is the way it was. I've taught martial arts to the cops here a few times and they seem fine then, but going into their station now feels like walking into a den of evil.

Damian

This whole police thing.... I just don't know, I brought someone very close to me in to the police at Thonglor to report her rape and after leering at her the whole time they took the report (twice) they turned around and threatened to deport me...... if I go and report a money scam Im sorry but they wont just turn around and scam some money from me too? People have had good experiences with cops here? I just figured this is the way it was. I've taught martial arts to the cops here a few times and they seem fine then, but going into their station now feels like walking into a den of evil.

Damian

Sorry , but I just do not know what else you could do to stop this malpractise .

There surtenly will be a lot of so called evil cops , but I just do not believe or think the same how you put it .

I am not saying I do not believe you , but a police officer just will do his job especially crimes on the internet these days .

Unless the scam you are talking about is something which will make your case in doubt with the police in a personal way .

When my dog was poisoned the police even investigated , when people steal something they make a point .

In my opinion they will look at it unless they think the accusing is baseless . I find it too hard to believe how you put it .

at nearly 10 years here I like to think I'm somewhat savvy about how low some Thais will go to steal - yet I still get suckered. Just last week, a Thai 'friend' (I thought was a good acquaintance) said she wanted to come visit me from 12 hours away on the bus. We confirmed the meeting several times over the phone. I sent bus fare and a bit extra (less than 1,000 baht) and when I called to tell her the money had been transferred, she said 'I can't come now, you come see me." I said I couldn't and that she should return the money first, so we could decide what to do next. She laughed and said 'that no big money for you.' of course, no money will get returned.

I've been snookered for much more than that over the years, plus bounced checks, checks that weren't signed. Thai people rarely use checks for the same reason they don't have 4-way stops at street intersections: it don't work here.

Note to Damian and anyone else: if you're going to loan money GET A PHOTOCOPY OF THE PERSON'S ID AND HOUSE REGISTRATION ! Thai people should not get offended by that, because they understand it's often asked and given for business transactions. If borrowers know you have that info, they're a lot less likely to rip you off ....JING!

.....and get collateral of at least twice value of what you're loaning. written acknowledgements don't amount to zip.

The internet makes it VERY easy to start a new identity for yourself.....why not do that and scam him back? It would sure be fun to see the whole thing played out.

http://www.scambuster419.co.uk/

That site might give you some ideas....you might still loose the money but I think it would be worth it....

Have you tried talking to your bank? Was it a Thai bank? Did you fill out the paperwork in person? I'd try to get (read: con) the bank in to refunding my money from the guys account and let them handle it.

Edited by LostInBKK

Holy smokes! I totally forgot to mention an important part... doh. This was a falang that scammed me, an American no less. Anything I should do differently?

Thankyou for the other ideas so far.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

Damian:

We are aware of your situation. However, it is impossible for US to prove YOU were scammed by any individual you want to name. Therefore if we allow you to post his/her name publicly, we would be potentially at risk of libel if you were, for instance, lying. As you have discovered, not everyone on the Internet is honest, and we have no more reason to trust *your* story than you should have to trust *his/hers*. While we regret your difficulties, this is a free service and we cannot take responsibility for what happens in business relationships between members. If you were to file a police report (naming both yourself and the alleged perpetrator) then as a public document we might be able to post it here- but you'd need to send it to a mod for consideration first. In any case, you have received some excellent advice above, and it would help this thread not to become closed if you didn't express a negative comment about Thaivisa in every one of your posts on it. (big hint there).

"Steven"

Damian:

We are aware of your situation. However, it is impossible for US to prove YOU were scammed by any individual you want to name. Therefore if we allow you to post his/her name publicly, we would be potentially at risk of libel if you were, for instance, lying. As you have discovered, not everyone on the Internet is honest, and we have no more reason to trust *your* story than you should have to trust *his/hers*. While we regret your difficulties, this is a free service and we cannot take responsibility for what happens in business relationships between members. If you were to file a police report (naming both yourself and the alleged perpetrator) then as a public document we might be able to post it here- but you'd need to send it to a mod for consideration first. In any case, you have received some excellent advice above, and it would help this thread not to become closed if you didn't express a negative comment about Thaivisa in every one of your posts on it. (big hint there).

"Steven"

Hey man, thankyou so much for responding like this. Try to understand that when I got scammed and all I could get was short and impersonal responses... well it made me feel even worse. I just wanted to know how I could get the answers I needed without being deleted, and nobody would even tell me that so I tried to figure out the problem myself and took a risk and posted this thread trying to be careful. Hope you understand my feelings in this, I dont think I was that negative considering how horrible I felt but I apologise if it annoyed you guys. Thankyou again for being clear and now I think you guys are great.

Damian Mavis

Edited by DamianMavis

An American? As a fellow American, I'd expect (and recommend) nothing less than a good ol' American ass beating.

That also makes him VERY easy to track down.....

I'm hoping this is the case.

Yes... Canada loses to The U.S... heh but the games not over! Us Canadians are just way too nice... I really believed his whole story... Im an actor and I gotta say... he's a ###### good one.

Damian

An American? As a fellow American, I'd expect (and recommend) nothing less than a good ol' American ass beating.

Yes... Canada loses to The U.S... heh but the games not over! Us Canadians are just way too nice... I really believed his whole story... Im an actor and I gotta say... he's a ###### good one.

Damian

If it is not a lot of money, i would just let it go and book it under experience. Money paid - lesson learned - don't trust anyone.

Trying to get retribution is just headaches, and often not worth the aggravation.

Damian

As it's a farang. You should get the Tourist Police and Immigration involved. If he's using a website to commit fraud, contact the ICT Ministry of Information and Communications Technology). That's the one that's blocking websites and bringing legal action against many websites. Hopefully they'll believe your case is as important as their own crap agenda and do something.

ColPyat, if I wanted revenge I know who to turn to.... that's all I'm going to say about that. I don't seek vengeance, it's just monetary theft and you're right, it's not tons of money but it is substantial to me. It's just the principal of the thing, I just want back what he took, I don't like being the victim, period. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a headache.

lannarebirth, thanks for that advice, sounds good.

Damian

Edited by DamianMavis

This is a joke reply, right?

Absolutely not:

I go to Thai bars fairly often, if I dont see another falang all night I'm happy. So I watch Thais fight with eachother, and it's always always always a group on one. I've never even heard of a fight between 2 men in this country... it just doesnt seem to happen, and there are lotsa fights. If you want to argue this go ahead, but I know what I see. I am a professional martial artsit and I don't DARE get into a fight with Thai people, I will lose, I can't fight some dude and his 10 friends and get away without serious injury, I just can't. So I swallow my pride and keep smiling. I don't think it's a phenomenon aimed at falangs though, it is just the way it is done here, they do it to eachother waaaaay more than they do it to us.

Damian Mavis