Honda Wave Electrical Problem

I have a 2005 Honda Wave 125 with no electric starter.  I have had it since new and it is well-maintained, at least to the extent that I can get the mechanics to properly maintain it.

I replaced the battery a couple of months ago, however it has developed an odd electrical problem.  Sometimes after stopping it will not have any power at all.  No lights, horn, gear indicator lights etc.  as though the battery is completely dead.  Kickstarting does nothing.  Then, after a couple of minutes and doing nothing I can pinpoint as making a difference, the power will return as seen by the green neutral light which was off when dead.  

It happened this morning and I put the ignition on and rode down the parking garage slope and put it into third and it started up with full battery power.   I rode it to the local Somchai shop and asked them to check the ground wire but he said that was good.  He cleaned the already clean terminals and the various connectors, but it is still acting up.  Worse maybe. 

It does run with the battery disconnected so that must mean the generator is good. 

It has no cut out switch on the kickstand.   

Any ideas what it could be? Is there a relay to check?  Is it possible the battery has a bad cell.  He insisted the battery was good but I am tempted to shell out the 350 baht for a new one and see if that fixes it, although the battery is almost new.  Actually though, on the way to the shop this morning it briefly lost power when I was riding it and stalled but then started again due to my moving in gear so maybe not the battery....

Thanks.  

Edited by ricklev

Get your machinic to put a voltmeter on the battery with the engine running, it should show 12 volts plus, meaning that it is charging, should not be a dead cell, he should be able to check the battery, to see if it is working. 

It is an old bike check the wiring harness, almost sounds if they is a dead short in the system, bear wire touching something metal, then it moves away and power is restored?or something like that, corroded wiring, or the rapping around wiring going.

Not an easy job with all that plastic on the bike, but it is in they somewhere.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

The bike will run with a dead battery. 98.8% of village bikes can't be wrong. The only thing the battery circuit does is to power the accessories or auxiliaries. The ignition kill circuit is the only thing that will stop the engine. 

The only common denominator between the two circuits is the ignition switch. If it were my bike the first thing I would check is the ignition switch or the plug/connections on the back of the switch.

Thanks.  I will have them check the ignition switch next.   What's weird is that power is restored without jiggling or moving anything.  It just lights up after a little while and starts working again.  

19 hours ago, ricklev said:

Sometimes after stopping it will not have any power at all.  No lights, horn, gear indicator lights etc.  as though the battery is completely dead.  Kickstarting does nothing

As mentioned above sounds like the issue is with your ignition switch or ignition wiring. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 2

You must load test the battery to identify a bad battery/dying cell. it is possible you have an intermittent internal short in the battery.

Edited by stubuzz
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 4:11 PM, ricklev said:

I have a 2005 Honda Wave 125 with no electric starter. 

What model is it? Every 2005 model on Honda's parts list site has a starter.

11 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What model is it? Every 2005 model on Honda's parts list site has a starter.

Honda Wave 125R.

It went full dead at Lumpini Park right after posting this.  I had a mobile mechanic I found on Google pick it up and they said it needed an ignition switch.  They charged me  800 baht for picking it up and returning it to my condo and 1500 baht for the aftermarket (not Honda) part and labor.  

Seemed pretty expensive to me given that the ignition switch kit on Lazada sells for 100-200 baht but not much I could do about it.

How long does it actually take to replace the switch and seat lock?

Anyway, it seems to be working OK although I just got it back this evening and haven't ridden it anywhere.    

Edited by ricklev

Genuine ignition switch for Honda Wave 125R

Part number: 35010-KPH-900

Price: 1028 Baht

That price is from https://bikerzbits.co.th

Usually the part will be cheaper from your local Honda dealer

It can be a bit of a faff to change ignition switches as often they are secured to the frame with security screws with special heads that require a special tool to remove.  I have a workaround for that but it involves tools that the average DIYer would not have.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Genuine ignition switch for Honda Wave 125R

Part number: 35010-KPH-900

Price: 1028 Baht

That price is from https://bikerzbits.co.th

Usually the part will be cheaper from your local Honda dealer

It can be a bit of a faff to change ignition switches as often they are secured to the frame with security screws with special heads that require a special tool to remove.  I have a workaround for that but it involves tools that the average DIYer would not have.

Thanks!  So maybe 1500 baht was not outrageous even with an aftermarket switch?  I am curious to know if I was overcharged.

Edited by ricklev

33 minutes ago, ricklev said:

Thanks!  So maybe 1500 baht was not outrageous even with an aftermarket switch?  I am curious to know if I was overcharged.

It seems expensive to me and I would much rather have a genuine Honda part rather than a copy but I am not familiar with Bangkok prices.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Yeah, till tomorrow when he finds out that it's the exactly the same and mechanic just pulled out some explanation out of his arse, that's how it is done here. :goof:

You can see the future.

So wise.!

1 hour ago, papa al said:

You can see the future.

So wise.!

It stops working after riding it and after a few minutes it will come back to the life. This will not be ignition switch. This will be electronics. Something with CDI or rectifier. If it was ignition it would be random, not only after riding it and it would not start working after waiting for a moment.

Each of these parts costs 100 Baht a piece in Lazada and it has a simple connector, anybody can change it. So I would throw at it these parts before non logically changing ignition switch for 1500 Baht.

Edited by AndyAndyAndy

47 minutes ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

It stops working after riding it and after a few minutes it will come back to the life. This will not be ignition switch. This will be electronics. Something with CDI or rectifier. If it was ignition it would be random, not only after riding it and it would not start working after waiting for a moment.

Each of these parts costs 100 Baht a piece in Lazada and it has a simple connector, anybody can change it. So I would throw at it these parts before non logically changing ignition switch for 1500 Baht.

Too late for that, but they do seem to have fixed it as it worked fine today.  

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

Best I could do for a genuine-looking 30410-KPW-901 is 635 baht. But a mobile mechanic wouldn't have the luxury of waiting for one to be delivered from Shopee. So would have to buy one from a local parts store or Honda.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Best I could do for a genuine-looking 30410-KPW-901 is 635 baht. But a mobile mechanic wouldn't have the luxury of waiting for one to be delivered from Shopee. So would have to buy one from a local parts store or Honda.

This is the brand they used although maybe not the exact switch.  It says RMT on my key.  https://shopee.co.th/product/36835245/5634045970?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiA2eKtBhDcARIsAEGTG43cKDKwFg2BET5InLC5RSasRRIe4PQLU-6UGzlfAESnNS_l3LLQNn4aAjrIEALw_wcB

6 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

no

intermittent short- or open-circuit

Edited by papa al

28 minutes ago, papa al said:

no

intermittent short- or open-circuit

If it is ignition why it is no intermittent while he is driving? Why it only refused to start again after driving?

Usually you open-circuit ignition, you will ground CDI, no more spark, it dies while you drive.