Suriya mulls assistance fund for people affected by Land Bridge project

snoop1130

5b7cb972e48c57c5fb13a6fdd9d6c76e.jpeg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The government’s Land Bridge proposal has seen both positive and negative responses as the government will make it a requirement for the project to provide assistance and compensation to those impacted by this new infrastructure.

Minister of Transport Suriya Jungrungreangkit said this requirement which translates to a fund would help local people who may not be in possession of property deeds, as many households are concerned that the lack of documents may prevent them from being compensated. 

The Minister has ordered the Office of Transport and Traffic Policy and Planning to conduct a survey to find the areas and the people that will be impacted. 

The Thai government is presenting the Land Bridge project to international investors. So far, investors from the UAE, China, Japan, and Switzerland have expressed interest. The government has affirmed that it will invest only on expropriation expenses, while leaving the investors themselves to assess whether the project is worth their money.

By Tanakorn Sangiam

Full story: NNT 2024-01-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government’s Land Bridge proposal has seen both positive and negative responses as the government will make it a requirement for the project to provide assistance and compensation to those impacted by this new infrastructure.

So it's a done deal, screw all those who will be affected.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The government has affirmed that it will invest only on expropriation expenses, while leaving the investors themselves to assess whether the project is worth their money.

:cheesy:

• Thumbs Up 1

No corporate body with half a brain will put money on the table. The only people who might possibly put money down are the Chinese government, for strategic not economic reasons (gives them a LITTLE extra wriggle room around a US-led blockade).

But even then, I doubt it would be worth the candle for the Chinese.

It’s a biodiverse and gorgeous area. Thinking that parking the largest ships in the world on both sides of  of the coast and spending weeks loading and unloading with train transit to save the relatively short journey around Malaysia is just ridiculous. This is a project just to guarantee decades of tea money envelopes and destroy a pristine area. Horrible idea.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Minister of Transport Suriya Jungrungreangkit said this requirement which translates to a fund would help local people who may not be in possession of property deeds, as many households are concerned that the lack of documents may prevent them from being compensated. 

Hang on now,  I think  If you  can't prove with a chanote title deed that you Own the land /property  you won't have a right to compensation 

Nice if one can say I own that land/but I don't  but can't prove that I own that land  give me a  million THB.