Unused gyms in Jomtien/Pattaya?

QuantumQuandry

So basically I live in Jomtien and I have a wife that wants to work out but has sufficient social anxiety that she doesn't want to work out around more than a couple other people.  Especially guys.  Especially big, serious looking guys.

Trying to accommodate her by finding a gym that isn't really used much.  Doesn't have to be amazing.  Or cheap.  Ideally in Jomtien and/or on baht bus route.

Tried asking the tiny hotel next door as they have a gym that we never see anyone in and it's next door.  No aircon and a tiny room.  Manager said for 500 day (15,000 a month, no discount), she can use it.  Need to do a little better than that.

Another thought...anyone know a trainer that trains out of their own room or gym or something like that?  Open to other ideas.  Pilates or exercise bands might be ok but she's not going to do a whole group class kind of thing.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

Don't have a direct answer to your question, but I might be moving soon and have some decent, new, home gym equipment that I don't really want to take with me (Smith machine, treadmill and exercise bike) if that's an option for you and you have the space. . Wont post any more info about it right now as I believe I need mods approval.

• Like 2

Check the local stadium(s).  They usually have a decent fitness room associated and charge 40-50 baht per visit.

They're not heavily used (from experience in Bangkok and Chiang Mai) during the day.  More of a rush 5-7 pm.

If you have a space in your home, weight sets and simple equipment are cheap enough on Lazada.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Don't most condos have small quiet gyms?

Yes.  Sadly our does not have a gym at all.  Most hotels have small, unused gyms, as well.  Tricky part is finding one that will let us use theirs.  We have a really great deal on a condo, right now, and would be taking a pretty big downgrade to move.  That would be half a year away, as well.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

personally i would encourage her to overcome the social anxiety

I agree.  That's why I am trying to find a gym for her to go to that only has a couple people, rather than getting weight sets at home.  Also to give her a routine and a hobby.  In another city, we had an unused gym in the condo and she went almost every day and was quite proud of her body.

I convinced her to go to my gym at one point, with a lot of pressure.  For some reason, the first day was ok-ish.  Second day, she was in a bad mood and basically walked in and immediately stood in the corner, looking like a scared puppy.  People looked at her a bit because she was acting strangely.  She reversed it in her mind and said she was acting weird because people were staring at her.  And then refused to ever go back.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AlexRich said:

A bit far from you, but the gym at the A-One hotel on Beach Rd on Soi 3 is very good, and safe for a female. 

Is it open to people who aren't staying there, for a fee?

6 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

Check the local stadium(s).  They usually have a decent fitness room associated and charge 40-50 baht per visit.

Interesting.  I didn't even know stadiums had gyms that were open to the public.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

2 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Is it open to people who aren't staying there, for a fee?

Interesting.  I didn't even know stadiums had gyms that were open to the public.

The large stadium I went to in Bangkok (Bangkapi) had at least two gyms available.  A smaller fitness room under the bleachers (same as Chiang Mai), and one in a separate building that had recently been renovated and got all new weights and machines, with treadmills and stationary bikes.

Mostly male visitors of course, but still a good number of females were visiting.  They had an active bodybuilding club that attended competitions with some female members.

Stadium also had a rubberized track, tennis courts, archery field, and swimming pool for public use.

2 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Sadly our does not have a gym at all. 

OK. Does your condo have a room potentially usable for fitness? You can buy and put a few pieces of equipment in there yourself, and that'll be good enough. Let other residents use it as well. Win win.

Plan B: buy a suspension trainer. Can be hooked up at a door or elsewhere (new condo fitness room!). Versatile and serious, if you use it correctly. For some years I used only my TRX knockoff, treadmill, and a couple of dumbbells to stay fit. Then I returned to a gym. During COVID, I added in resistance bands, a furniture strap (isometrics), and my bed (for (in addition, ha ha) back hyperextensions and reverse). Getting back into the gym after COVID was an easy transition.

Working out at home (I still do, to a limited extent) is so convenient. You can listen to music or watch a movie to make it far less boring. AND you control the aircon yourself!

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/suspension-trainer/?q=suspension trainer&catalog_redirect_tag=true

Beginner TRX:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beginner+trx+training

These can become quite advanced and difficult. Up 2 u.

• Like 1

Certain times of day Human Strong on Soi 4 In Pratamnuk is always empty.  Many times very little people.

I think it does get busy after work hours.  Maybe early morning too?  idk.  But it always seems sparse.

It's big.  and in shade, but no AC.  

Worth her visiting once.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

OK. Does your condo have a room potentially usable for fitness? You can buy and put a few pieces of equipment in there yourself, and that'll be good enough.

Our place is big enough to put a couple of simple pieces in.  And she already does some YouTube cardio stuff at home.  But I think it's also important for her to get out of the house and have a routine to combat her anxiety/depression.  She has a friend that may or may not go with her if we can find a suitable gym.  I also wouldn't mind if she had a little training/instruction but that's also difficult, without going to a big gym.

2 minutes ago, QuantumQuandry said:

But I think it's also important for her to get out of the house and have a routine to combat her anxiety/depression.

For that, you might consider getting her into a yoga class. A fave with the ladies and classes have only ladies 99% of the time. Most of them are overweight and out of shape. Beginners always welcome. So your wife needn't feel anyone is looking at her negatively. She may also meet some friends there. Google around for yoga in Jomtien.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BigStar said:

For that, you might consider getting her into a yoga class. A fave with the ladies and classes have only ladies 99% of the time. Most of them are overweight and out of shape. Beginners always welcome. So your wife needn't feel anyone is looking at her negatively. She may also meet some friends there. Google around for yoga in Jomtien.

Unfortunately, she isn't going to go to a class with several other people.  Private training or just a couple other people, maybe.  She would probably prefer to be left alone in a gym to do her own thing, or with a friend.  I would love if she did a Pilates or Yoga class.  But pretty much any class setting is a no-go, for her.  Also, she doesn't speak Thai so even private training would require some English-speaking.

She is in great shape so it isn't a fear of being judged critically in that sense.  I think.  She gets upset when people look at her 'too long'.  Like...angry.  Yeah, I know.  Trying to work on this as best I can.

I appreciate you brain-storming with me, here.  But I think either a semi-unused gym or possibly private training out of someone's home are the only options she might use.  And even the private training will require some convincing.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Yes.  Sadly our does not have a gym at all.  Most hotels have small, unused gyms, as well.  Tricky part is finding one that will let us use theirs.  We have a really great deal on a condo, right now, and would be taking a pretty big downgrade to move.  That would be half a year away, as well.

I agree.  That's why I am trying to find a gym for her to go to that only has a couple people, rather than getting weight sets at home.  Also to give her a routine and a hobby.  In another city, we had an unused gym in the condo and she went almost every day and was quite proud of her body.

I convinced her to go to my gym at one point, with a lot of pressure.  For some reason, the first day was ok-ish.  Second day, she was in a bad mood and basically walked in and immediately stood in the corner, looking like a scared puppy.  People looked at her a bit because she was acting strangely.  She reversed it in her mind and said she was acting weird because people were staring at her.  And then refused to ever go back.

can't she go walking instead? that's good exercise, good routes to/from and around Pratumnak park, I rarely pass anyone unless i do the mountain loop

• Like 1

15,000baht/month is a total rip off. For that amount you can get a gym membership for a year. Have a look at Fitness 7 in the Avenue shopping center on second road. They keep it clean and machine maintenance is very good. The trainers that work there will teach how to use the machines (for free). My gf uses the place as well as a lot of other girls. Never heard of any problems. A trainer will give you guided tour and you can see if it's what you are looking for. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Tried asking the tiny hotel next door as they have a gym that we never see anyone in and it's next door.  No aircon and a tiny room.  Manager said for 500 day (15,000 a month, no discount), she can use it.  Need to do a little better than that.

Seems pretty foolish on the part of the manage  to deny your simple request and cut off a revenue stream for the condo complex.

4 hours ago, Dart12 said:

Certain times of day Human Strong on Soi 4 In Pratamnuk is always empty.  Many times very little people.

I think it does get busy after work hours.  Maybe early morning too?  idk.  But it always seems sparse.

It's big.  and in shade, but no AC.  

Worth her visiting once.

Yes, always near empty the times I've been. 1050 a month.

• Agree 1

Anxiety is such an awful illness.One bad day can set you back months.The outdoor exercise machines in the park at the top of Pratumnak might be a good starting place.Nice walk along Dongtan beach to get there too.

Think I’ve seen a ladies group gym ( not sure of kind) after the BKK bus and Foodmart area. There was even an advert about it. Surely with a few women she’d be ok ? Otherwise look for private home exercise groups for ladies. There are also many online things you can follow alone in front of tv. Half an hour a day of that and an hours healthy walk outside does wonders. 

5 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

Unfortunately, she isn't going to go to a class with several other people.  Private training or just a couple other people, maybe.  She would probably prefer to be left alone in a gym to do her own thing, or with a friend.  I would love if she did a Pilates or Yoga class.  But pretty much any class setting is a no-go, for her.  Also, she doesn't speak Thai so even private training would require some English-speaking.

She is in great shape so it isn't a fear of being judged critically in that sense.  I think.  She gets upset when people look at her 'too long'.  Like...angry.  Yeah, I know.  Trying to work on this as best I can.

I appreciate you brain-storming with me, here.  But I think either a semi-unused gym or possibly private training out of someone's home are the only options she might use.  And even the private training will require some convincing.

After reading that I think she has a serious problem which should be addressed. She’s not Thai, so Asian or ? Is she overweight/ underweight or it psychological? Why is she anxious/ afraid to be with a few ladies or group for example ? 

I'd pay someone to come up with a routine for her, using bands and body weight etc, do it at home. She doesn't sound like she needs machines.

For getting out, nothing better than cycling, running, walking up and down Jomtien beach, its long enough.

Oh, and have a look at Wim Hofs breathing techniques, learn how to breathe then do assisted breathing with his videos on you tube. It really helps with stress which in turn helps with anxiety.

6 hours ago, QuantumQuandry said:

OK, now I understand the problem.

Most gyms have contact with trainers. You could call around or visit and ask. The trainer would probably make house calls, but there's the issue of equipment. He/she might have a home gym but whether used for client training sessions at home is another question.

BTW, there's a mental health resource list pinned in the Health forum:

On 1/25/2024 at 11:55 PM, QuantumQuandry said:

I have a wife that wants to work out but has sufficient social anxiety that she doesn't want to work out around more than a couple other people

On Pattaya Beach, just before Pattaya Klang beach side of road there's a group of women doing aerobics, loud music, looks like they are having fun. 

Take your wife down, stay with her for support, I'm sure your wife will enjoy it. 

Dongtan beach has a similar exercise program for women. 

15 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Seems pretty foolish on the part of the manage  to deny your simple request and cut off a revenue stream for the condo complex.

He said it was a hotel.

The recently reopened "Tony " gym at South Pattaya road/3rd road intersection is basically empty most of the time. It's at a noisy busy intersection  ,so not the cleanest air to breathe there. 120 Baht a day pass. Never seen more than 2 or 3 people working out there.Sometimes it's completely empty. 

First off, thank you for all the replies!  Some clarifications:

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

can't she go walking instead? that's good exercise, good routes to/from and around Pratumnak park, I rarely pass anyone unless i do the mountain loop

19 hours ago, sungod said:

I'd pay someone to come up with a routine for her, using bands and body weight etc, do it at home. She doesn't sound like she needs machines.

For getting out, nothing better than cycling, running, walking up and down Jomtien beach, its long enough.

She gets cardio exercise.  She does 30-60 minutes at home most nights and I take her out on beach walks a few times a week.  I think that resistance training has additional benefits, though:

1. For depression/anxiety, resistance training has showed a profound effect.

2. Getting out of the house has benefits.

3. Having a routine she can do with a friend.

22 hours ago, shortstop2 said:

there are free outdoor machines by the police box on Dongtan beach.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

The recently reopened "Tony " gym at South Pattaya road/3rd road intersection is basically empty most of the time. It's at a noisy busy intersection

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

On Pattaya Beach, just before Pattaya Klang beach side of road there's a group of women doing aerobics, loud music, looks like they are having fun. 

She is anxious about people looking at her.  Any outdoor areas is going to be worse than just going to an indoor gym, I think.  She doesn't even want ME looking at her when she does cardio at home.  Says it 'makes her weak'.

19 hours ago, geisha said:

Think I’ve seen a ladies group gym ( not sure of kind) after the BKK bus and Foodmart area. There was even an advert about it. Surely with a few women she’d be ok ? Otherwise look for private home exercise groups for ladies. There are also many online things you can follow alone in front of tv. Half an hour a day of that and an hours healthy walk outside does wonders. 

Yes, a ladies gym, if not too busy, would probably be ok.  And that location would be great, too!  Any idea what it's called?  I haven't seen one like that but that would be spot on.  She does YouTube cardio, already, and I take her out on long walks.

19 hours ago, geisha said:

After reading that I think she has a serious problem which should be addressed. She’s not Thai, so Asian or ? Is she overweight/ underweight or it psychological? Why is she anxious/ afraid to be with a few ladies or group for example ? 

That's what I am trying to do! :)  She's Filipina.  She's pretty fit (and knows how to weight train, as well, if we find an appropriate gym).  Don't want to derail my own thread but let's just say, it's definitely psychological and we are trying to address it, both with meds and behavioral changes (like finding a gym she can handle).

I will probably give up my nice apartment in 6 months, when my lease ends, if I have to, just to get her a condo gym.  Would be better if we can find something before then.  But it is what it is.

Thanks again for the assistance.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1