Ukraine Invites Chinese President Xi Jinping to Peace Talks

image.png

Ukraine has extended an invitation to Chinese President Xi Jinping to participate in peace talks aimed at resolving the ongoing conflict in the country, according to a statement by Volodymyr Zelenskiy's top adviser. The summit, which will be held in Switzerland, has garnered interest from various world leaders, although the specific venue and date are yet to be finalized.

Zelenskiy's adviser, Igor Zhovkva, emphasized the importance of China's involvement in the peace talks, stating that the invitation is extended at the highest level, involving the President of the People's Republic of China. Zhovkva expressed the hope that China's participation would play a crucial role in bringing an end to the war.

While China has maintained a close relationship with Russia, it has also previously offered to mediate in the conflict and emphasized the importance of respecting the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all countries. China's potential engagement in the peace talks could be a significant factor in finding a resolution to the conflict.

President Xi Jinping, a key ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, holds influential views among major global powers. His stance on a potential peace plan may carry weight in shaping the future trajectory of the conflict in Ukraine.

Source

image.png

Ukraine wants peace talks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is that not headline news? First I've heard about it.

If true, Zelensky must be looking for an exit, as he is the face of the Ukrainian side and responsible for all the deaths and destruction, IMO.

He should never have trusted America to support it to the bitter end.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Biden is going to look foolish in the election campaign if he has another failure in another war. I'm sure he is prepared to continue the war at least till the election is over.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-says-some-west-are-hinting-looking-peace-ukraine-2023-12-28/

U.S. President Joe Biden has said the West does not seek to destroy Russia but wants Kyiv to defeat Moscow's forces on Ukrainian territory. Biden also said in 2022 that Russia had suffered a "strategic failure" in Ukraine.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4
  • Agree 2

Xi is an astute man. He will see that this is an attempt to use him as PR. I don't think he will fall for it. What is the concept off these PR 'peace talks'. Zelensky's formula for peace is complete capitulation of Russia and giving up all their recently acquired land, reparations to Ukraine and tribunals.

What leader in a commanding position on the battlefield, with the enemy in disarray trying to fire the head of the military, who just had a failed counteroffensive that achieved nothing, and with conscripts running away rather than sigh their own death warrants, would wish to sign up to such a peace formula so divorced from any sort of reality. 

The more the west encourage this blithering idiot, Zelensky, the closer with move to NATO troops in Ukraine and WW3

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, retarius said:

Xi is an astute man. He will see that this is an attempt to use him as PR. I don't think he will fall for it. What is the concept off these PR 'peace talks'. Zelensky's formula for peace is complete capitulation of Russia and giving up all their recently acquired land, reparations to Ukraine and tribunals.

What leader in a commanding position on the battlefield, with the enemy in disarray trying to fire the head of the military, who just had a failed counteroffensive that achieved nothing, and with conscripts running away rather than sigh their own death warrants, would wish to sign up to such a peace formula so divorced from any sort of reality. 

The more the west encourage this blithering idiot, Zelensky, the closer with move to NATO troops in Ukraine and WW3

@retarius

Your inflammatory comments, your dodgy statements...never mind these, but - 'acquired'? Seriously? Like Lazada or something?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, retarius said:

One wonders just what the <deleted> is going on in Washington? Running towards a war in the Middle East and edging towards nuclear war in Europe. Are they completely divorced from reality in their "bubble"?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

If a Martian came down to earth and saw Xi Trump and Biden at a table within seconds they would be talking to Xi and within an hour Xi would have negotiated at Earth Martian peace treaty. As far as we can ascertain he has around 75% approval ratings I know I would vote for him as he has created development, prosperity and peace which beats this battle for democracy hands down.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Really? Could it be because in China nearly 40% said they were “afraid of the consequences” of protesting against the state. 

China’s leaders have no qualms about using intimidation and force to stay in power. But the Communist Party also claims that it deserves to rule because it governs well and has the support of the public. 

China’s leaders are less popular than they might think

https://archive.ph/78tz0

If the options are a firm hand or societal chaos then most people choose the former. If they stop feeding and housing their people with some comfort then they will feel their wrath. That's the implicit social contract and sadly it means rough justice for the malcontents should they wish to express that. That would include me I'm sure and I'm glad I don't live there.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Rough justice indeed when you 40% of your own people are afraid of the consequences of protesting against you.

You have a strange leadership model, do it this way or else, even when its bad. 

Most successful Chinese I have met in the West or indeed Thailand (Hong Kong refugees excepted if course) are immensely proud of their country and the leaps they have made from the dark days of Mao. Indeed my nephew is married to one and they have a mixed race daughter now in the UK. They care more about wealth and status rather than high democratic principles I feel.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

That is not an exactly representative picture of 1.4 billion Chinese.

For most, if you express political dissent and criticism of the government, you'll be suppressed. That includes restrictions on freedom of speech, assembly, and the press. Limited ability to participate in political decision-making. Surveillance and censorship: Extensive monitoring of online activity and media restricts access to information and freedom of expression. Then that is the reality.

However good for you as you already said you'd vote for it......

My caveat was of course if threatened with societal collapse and some form of warlordism if the central power fell apart. That's how Putin came to power with the collapse of the Soviet Union first came anarchy, law and order collapsed state infrastructure was looted and salaries went unpaid all mismanaged by an alcoholic  Yeltsin supported by the west who were part of that looting frontier. Putin brought order to the chaos reputedly on 50% of everything. The Chinese leaders and people saw that and thought no thanks. How do you manage a country of 1.3 billion souls without a firm hand ? Exporting western democracy to countries that don't want it is a form of imperialism even more so if done with the barrel of the gun. Besides which the US preaches this but when it goes against them like Allende in Chile they pull a coup. Or in SE Asia fuel a regional war that left 3.5 million dead and countries destroyed. Against that backdrop Putin or indeed the global South is in no mood for morality lectures.

Edited by beautifulthailand99
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/2/2024 at 7:05 PM, beautifulthailand99 said:

If the options are a firm hand or societal chaos then most people choose the former. If they stop feeding and housing their people with some comfort then they will feel their wrath. That's the implicit social contract and sadly it means rough justice for the malcontents should they wish to express that. That would include me I'm sure and I'm glad I don't live there.

When Singapore became independent there was massive racial strife between the main races- Indian, Chinese and Malays. Lee Kwan Yew started with a firm hand and all that rubbish stopped and Singapore became prosperous.

I disagree 100% with the communist regime in China, for Tibet and the Uighers, but if they don't rule with an iron hand it probably becomes chaos. I'd prefer the Singapore model though.

• Confused 1

On 2/2/2024 at 11:42 PM, rabas said:

Hollowed out? You mean Russia, right? To quote a famous and brilliant Russian:

"Every country has its own mafia. Putin’s Russia is the first where the mafia has its own country.”

--  Gary Kasparov

What about Cuba before the revolution? I heard that it was a safe place for the American Mafia.

If You can't see that western "civilisation" is rotten to the core, that's up to you. IMO it's all circuses for the mob now, just like Rome before it fell.

• Confused 2