Centrum multivitamins for men watery running nose

george

I have been taking Centrum multivitamins (for men 50+) for approx one year.) 

Very annoying and affects quality of like, and is disgusting when sitting together with other people (have to use paper tissues all the time).

Anyone else have experienced this? Sheryl?

A google search says it’s primarily Vitamin C that could cause this.

I also use Ganfort Pf eye drops and that maybe is the reason?

Please advise

Thanks in advance. 🙏

Non-allergic rhinitis. No cure (except Clarifix or Rhinaer?). Forget diet or snake oil vitamins. One thing that works as a nasal spray is Ipatropium Bromide. Alas not available in the EU anymore.

Not available in Thailand (I asked around).

Only available in an anti-asthma spray, combined with some other stuff you don't want to inhale if you don't have asthma.

This is a pic of the nasal spray they recently withdrew from the market in the EU. I knew when I found it to work some three months ago, I thought "something that works, they're going to withdraw it".  And so they did soon enough indeed! Government LOVE to make people's lives miserable. I hasten to do some pharmacy hopping  in order to buy enough to last me half a year.

20240128_184537.jpg

33 minutes ago, george said:

A google search says it’s primarily Vitamin C that could cause this.

I have never read vitamin C causes runny nose. I’ve always associated a runny nose a sign of a compromised immune system. Zinc, niacin, vitamin C, D are good immune enhancers. I’m a bit of an anti pharmaceutical type, always keep various herbs. 

something to consider.

maybe avoid cheap multi-vitamins and buy individual high quality supplements only for what you really need.

most vitamins can be obtained from diet. 

https://wearefeel.com/blogs/learn/danger-of-cheap-multivitamins#:~:text=Low-quality supplements often contain,also lack real nutritional value.

Low-quality supplements often contain toxic fillers and binders that are bad for your health and wellbeing

Edited by save the frogs

My mother has this "perennial rhinitis" which causes a lot of runny nose on and off all year around.

As far as I'm concerned it's a diagnosis of last resort, you're allergic to many things all the time is what they told her.

As far as drying it up they banned the most useful non drowsy medication for OTC sale here in Thailand which was Pseudoephedrine but you can get it from a hospital with a prescription apparently - and this stuff really works if you take it at the right dose. I will add that I found the right dose for me to be something different to what was on the packet back in the UK.

There are other decongestants but in my experience they don't work so well. Things like acrivastine but you've got to watch out for things that can make you really tired on the antihistamine side of things like 'CliniCold' which was a common brand around these parts a few years back.

They gave my mother Fexofenadine which doesn't really work too well.

You can develop an allergy at any time and age, I went 40 years without any common allergies then one summer I started to get hayfever in the UK, when I came over here it disappeared. I blamed the huge tree outside the house I lived in.

Edited by ukrules

Go for a dive, if you feel a sharp pain above your eyes keep descending until it stops. When resurfacing your mask will fill with blood and slime, but your sinusitis will be gone for years. It worked for me.

But of course compensate your ears, blasted ear drums are no joke.

Where did you get the vitamins? I noticed a lot of odd branded vitamins on Lazada. Strange brands that I never heard of that looked like lower tier companies in the Usa. Some people were saying the labels were crooked and things did not look right.

1 hour ago, george said:

Centrum multivitamins (for men 50+)

This is a high grade brand and actually the brand used in recent study that showed those using and getting older retained memory better than those not.  Major news story this last week as seems to show a real Alzheimer's delay ability.

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Where did you get the vitamins? I noticed a lot of odd branded vitamins on Lazada. Strange brands that I never heard of that looked like lower tier companies in the Usa. Some people were saying the labels were crooked and things did not look right.

That said have used for years and never had runny nose from them.  Maybe not the best case study for retaining memory however.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Centrum are among the worse synthetic multivitamins. If you are going to buy vitamins buy real vitamins (not synthetic).

I used to have runny nose, seasonal allergies, spots in the skin (Tinea versicolor), was mildly overweight (1.83M, 100 kg), bordering in high blood pressure (140/90). The cure? I did a carnivore diet for a few months (there’s not a better isolation diet) and I was astounded by the results. My allergies were gone, my spots in the skin gone, lost 22 kg. My blood work was perfect, and the blood pressure was now 105/65. Healthwise, I’ve never felt so good in my life. After a few months I added some greens and kept the carbs at bay (Sort of like a Keto/Mediterranean )

But in a nutshell… we are what we eat. You eat a lot of processed foods, carbs, or fried food in “vegetable” oils and you will have problems eventually. You cut that stuff out and all you will see your health improved drastically. Processed foods are the leading cause of most diseases and poor health. It’s what keeping the medical and pharmaceutical industry employed. I think one of the biggest (if not the biggest) con job ever on humanity.  Eat real food and you won't have problems. If the label has more than a few ingredients... you should not eat that... it's not natural.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@george

This is very unlikely to be due to the Centrum. More likely the eye drops as it is a beta blocker and beta blockerrs do case non-allergic rhinitis in some people.

When did you start the eye drops and when did the rhinitis start?

3 hours ago, ukrules said:

My mother has this "perennial rhinitis" which causes a lot of runny nose on and off all year around.

As far as I'm concerned it's a diagnosis of last resort, you're allergic to many things all the time is what they told her.

As far as drying it up they banned the most useful non drowsy medication for OTC sale here in Thailand which was Pseudoephedrine but you can get it from a hospital with a prescription apparently - and this stuff really works if you take it at the right dose.

Pseudoephedrine raises blood pressure quite a lot. Not something you want to take regularly. Plus, it makes you positive for meth from what I've read.

NAR (non-allergic rhinitis) = perennial rhinitis = idiopathic rhinitis. Often combined with post-nasal drip.

Bumrungrad hospital in Bangkok offer the Clarifix procedure. I may take the jump and have it but I'm still not convinced. Reddit reviews are not encouraging.

P.S. I noticed steroid nasal sprays (fluticasone, mometasone) had some effect in my case. No immediate effect though, should be used for a few weeks.

Edited by JackGats

Do you consume a high-carb diet? Are you prediabetic or diabetic? These can contribute to a runny nose.

As far as multivitamins go, I am of the opinion that it's worth spending a bit more on a good brand. Centrum is a big seller but not a great brand. And yes, there is a difference between different vitamins from different companies. Just because they each have similar amounts of vitamins, minerals etc does not mean they're the same. If your budget allows it, it's worth spending a bit more on a premium brand. My favourite brand of supplements is Thorne. Not cheap, but in my mind it's worth it.

6 hours ago, still kicking said:

George, I do have a runny nose all the time mostly when I have a meal, yes very annoying when I have a meal outside my place in a restaurant.

If you have a runny nose when / shortly after eating, look in to histamines and histamine intolerance as it may be that.

• Thanks 1

Instead of ingesting orally, might I suggest using these tablets as a suppository?

How could you get a runny nose if you take them from the back side?

Or, are you snorting them?

NO WAY does Centrum vitamins affect me with a runny nose, no matter how I take them.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

8 hours ago, save the frogs said:

something to consider.

maybe avoid cheap multi-vitamins and buy individual high quality supplements only for what you really need.

most vitamins can be obtained from diet. 

https://wearefeel.com/blogs/learn/danger-of-cheap-multivitamins#:~:text=Low-quality supplements often contain,also lack real nutritional value.

Low-quality supplements often contain toxic fillers and binders that are bad for your health and wellbeing

I'd say very few people get all they need from their diet. Perhaps some very fanatical people might manage, but the effort would be enormous and far too much (and expensive) for the average person. It would be a full-time job trying to prepare such a diet. It's very unlikely you even know what you need, let alone find food to provide it all.

A powerful (high-quality) multivitamin and mineral capsule is a good starting point for most people, but Centrum is not a good one and is way overpriced. There is no such supplement available in Thailand so you will need to comb the Internet and import one. Getting sufficient minerals from your diet is even more problematic. For example, you're not going to get enough elemental boron as it doesn't exist in sufficient quantities in the soil of most countries. Countries with sufficient boron in their soil have a low prevalence of arthritis (the drug companies do not like this information getting out). When it became known that boron (in the form of borax) could cure or diminish the symptoms of arthritis (in Western Australia), they outlawed the prescription of borax (in the 1970s) to patients.  

My recommendation to the OP is to experiment with other formulas. It could be a tablet filler that is causing an allergic response. Check out iHerb as they have a vast selection of multivitamins and don't forget the minerals. Some vitamin/mineral manufacturers produce tablets especially for sensitive people who are prone to allergic reactions to many compounds. On iHerb, if you order more than $40 worth, you get free shipping. This week there is a 24% site-wide discount AND free shipping.

• Agree 2

18 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Fair enough. I don't claim to be an expert. You are probably correct.

Just watch out for cheap brands maybe.

Of course that takes some research, but I believe there are many reputable brands out there, brands with reputations that go back 50 years or longer. Solgar, for example, has been making supplements since 1947. I have no doubt their products are very good. Blackmores Australia was founded in 1932. I'm sure they won't risk their reputation by producing junk. I find them a bit expensive, but buy the multivitamin "active" for my wife. They have a good range available in Thailand if you have deep pockets and don't mind splashing out and prefer to buy locally rather than online. I would feel confident about the quality of their products.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, still kicking said:

George, I do have a runny nose all the time mostly when I have a meal, yes very annoying when I have a meal outside my place in a restaurant.

It's the same for me. My nose runs most of the time, but it's especially bad when I eat. I found out recently that this runs in my family. My father suffers from this as well, and he just told me that his father did too. In fact, my grandfather used to joke that his nose runs and his feet smell (rather than his feet running and his nose smelling). Still, I find this very bothersome - and I hope to find a solution to it - a solution that doesn't involve medication.

I don't think this is in any way related to vitamins because it happens to me whether I am taking vitamins or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I have explained this is not due to the Centrum but may be due to the eye drops he is using for glaucoma, which are beta blockers. Beta blockers  can cause non-allergic rhinitis in some people.

@george should se his opthalmologist and discuss alternative medications/treatments

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sheryl said:

@george

This is very unlikely to be due to the Centrum. More likely the eye drops as it is a beta blocker and beta blockerrs do case non-allergic rhinitis in some people.

When did you start the eye drops and when did the rhinitis start?

Started this type of eye drops about two months ago. Runny nose for more than 2 years.

Not worse since starting the new eye drops. Was using Lumigan drops for years but the new drops are free of additives, which was recommended to try. Keeps eye pressure under full control. Lumigan was too weak for me. 

Worst is coming out of an A/C environment and go outside. Cold outside weather does not cause runny nose. Confused.

And during and after eating nose is running.

Anyway, I stopped taking Centrum this morning.

My blood tests (full blood count) are perfect all over. Even managed to reverse diabetes type 2 recently. Happy for that, as I stopped all sugary stuff and processed food.

So I’m pretty healthy except for that runny nose.

6 hours ago, JensenZ said:

I'd say very few people get all they need from their diet. Perhaps some very fanatical people might manage, but the effort would be enormous and far too much (and expensive) for the average person. It would be a full-time job trying to prepare such a diet. It's very unlikely you even know what you need, let alone find food to provide it all.

A powerful (high-quality) multivitamin and mineral capsule is a good starting point for most people, but Centrum is not a good one and is way overpriced. There is no such supplement available in Thailand so you will need to comb the Internet and import one. Getting sufficient minerals from your diet is even more problematic. For example, you're not going to get enough elemental boron as it doesn't exist in sufficient quantities in the soil of most countries. Countries with sufficient boron in their soil have a low prevalence of arthritis (the drug companies do not like this information getting out). When it became known that boron (in the form of borax) could cure or diminish the symptoms of arthritis (in Western Australia), they outlawed the prescription of borax (in the 1970s) to patients.  

My recommendation to the OP is to experiment with other formulas. It could be a tablet filler that is causing an allergic response. Check out iHerb as they have a vast selection of multivitamins and don't forget the minerals. Some vitamin/mineral manufacturers produce tablets especially for sensitive people who are prone to allergic reactions to many compounds. On iHerb, if you order more than $40 worth, you get free shipping. This week there is a 24% site-wide discount AND free shipping.

my blood tests are perfect.

7 hours ago, mstevens said:

If you have a runny nose when / shortly after eating, look in to histamines and histamine intolerance as it may be that.

Another cause, I suspect, is moving head up/down while eating - as our mid-section gets larger we have to lean forward more to keep drips on plate rather than shirt and head is going up and down much more than when we could sit back and eat in a normal position.  Old age - so much fun.

• Love It 1