Centrum multivitamins for men watery running nose

george

4 hours ago, george said:

Started this type of eye drops about two months ago. Runny nose for more than 2 years.

Not worse since starting the new eye drops. Was using Lumigan drops for years but the new drops are free of additives, which was recommended to try. Keeps eye pressure under full control. Lumigan was too weak for me. 

Worst is coming out of an A/C environment and go outside. Cold outside weather does not cause runny nose. Confused.

And during and after eating nose is running.

In that case not likely to be the drops. I take it no other new medications?

While allergy to something cannot be ruled out without testing, this sounds much like nonallergic rhinitis. Which is especially common in older people.

See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonallergic-rhinitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351235

There is usually no identifiable cause but there may be triggers....which may or may not be possible to avoid

treatments that are often helpful include:

saline nasal lavage (using bulb syringe or neti pot). A more convenient, but less effective, measure is nasal saline sprays which can be found at any pharmacy

antihistamine nasal spray - unfortunately I don't think any are available in Thailand except in combination with steroid (see below). You may be able to but Asterpro nasal spray online though. I see it here https://www.ubuy.co.th/en/brand/astepro   (I have used that site twice, once with no problem but in the other instance they shipped via a courier leading to usual customs issues, just to be warned)

steroid nasal sprays  - these are not advisable in people with glaucoma as prolonged use raises intraocular pressure

Lastly there are decongestant nose drops and sprays that will certainly work in the short term but used regularly will make matters worse. You might  gte this and just use on occasion, for example if going out to dinner with friends. Get one containing oxymetazoline, there are many brands. It is safe in glaucoma. just make sure no other ingredient as some preparations combine iwht steroid.  And do not use every day, just form time to time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

In that case not likely to be the drops. I take it no other new medications?

While allergy to something cannot be ruled out without testing, this sounds much like nonallergic rhinitis. Which is especially common in older people.

See https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/nonallergic-rhinitis/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20351235

There is usually no identifiable cause but there may be triggers....which may or may not be possible to avoid

treatments that are often helpful include:

saline nasal lavage (using bulb syringe or neti pot). A more convenient, but less effective, measure is nasal saline sprays which can be found at any pharmacy

antihistamine nasal spray - unfortunately I don't think any are available in Thailand except in combination with steroid (see below). You may be able to but Asterpro nasal spray online though. I see it here https://www.ubuy.co.th/en/brand/astepro   (I have used that site twice, once with no problem but in the other instance they shipped via a courier leading to usual customs issues, just to be warned)

steroid nasal sprays  - these are not advisable in people with glaucoma as prolonged use raises intraocular pressure

Lastly there are decongestant nose drops and sprays that will certainly work in the short term but used regularly will make matters worse. You might  gte this and just use on occasion, for example if going out to dinner with friends. Get one containing oxymetazoline, there are many brands. It is safe in glaucoma. just make sure no other ingredient as some preparations combine iwht steroid.  And do not use every day, just form time to time.

Thanks a lot, @Sheryl as always.

complicated stuff this !

Time to go shopping! I think I will import AsterPro then, looks like the best solution.

Many thanks 🙏 

Gustatory rhinitis seems to come up with dripping nose when eating - may be spicy food or anything else.  Fast eating is also cited (which I suspect is my issue - also have only half side of teeth so chewing is impaired).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Just as a thought to the OP, have you tried a stinging nettle root supplement? It's a commonly used supplement and one its many benefits anti-histamine properties so it can help with a runny nose. It has many benefits and is worth Googling to see if it might be suitable for you.

On 1/29/2024 at 10:57 AM, george said:

Anyway, I stopped taking Centrum this morning.

My blood tests (full blood count) are perfect all over. Even managed to reverse diabetes type 2 recently. Happy for that, as I stopped all sugary stuff and processed food.

So I’m pretty healthy except for that runny nose.

In reality, you didn't reverse your diabetes but just improved your blood sugar numbers. This can be done by most people in the early stages of type 2 diabetes, but it's important to know it's not a cure, and constant monitoring of blood sugar is still recommended.

• Thanks 2

On 1/28/2024 at 9:00 PM, lopburi3 said:

This is a high grade brand and actually the brand used in recent study that showed those using and getting older retained memory better than those not.  Major news story this last week as seems to show a real Alzheimer's delay ability.

That said have used for years and never had runny nose from them.  Maybe not the best case study for retaining memory however.

Centrum can delay Alzheimers? Citation or link to the news story?

As noted earlier, buying Centrum on local online market places in Thailand isn't a guarantee that it's the same Centrum you get at Walgreen's, CVS or any US drug store or Boots or Superdrug in the UK.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Centrum can delay Alzheimers? Citation or link to the news story?

As noted earlier, buying Centrum on local online market places in Thailand isn't a guarantee that it's the same Centrum you get at Walgreen's, CVS or any US drug store or Boots or Superdrug in the UK.

It is known for some time but new study proves and has been in news since mid-month on just about every media out there.  Up to delay of two years so a major finding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/01/18/multivitamins-benefits-memory-loss-study/

Edited by lopburi3

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

It is known for some time but new study proves and has been in news since mid-month on just about every media out there.  Up to delay of two years so a major finding.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2024/01/18/multivitamins-benefits-memory-loss-study/

Interesting, thanks. I wonder if Haleon's share price has benefitted?

I saw another story in the UK media recently about a blood test that seems to a reliable predictor if one has Alzheimer's versus undergoing lumbar punctures and brain scans.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/23/blood-test-could-revolutionise-diagnosis-of-alzheimers-experts-say

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/22/alzheimers-blood-test-revolution-for-over-50s-dementia/

Good news Update:

I stopped taking the Centrum multivitamins from Tuesday, and nose is not running anymore.

No other changes in life style, room temperature, medication etc. I'm in and out iof A/c all day. Runny nose is completely gone after years with Centrum!

I am now throwing my Centrum vitamins in the trash!

Thanks all of you for advise. I am very suprised about this solution to the problem.

Your thoughts please 

IMG_2952.HEIC

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But was this the recommended access route?

image.png.675f914c7a533d2affb968887f0bdcde.png

No, it wasn't! I  just did it the lazy easy way. Skipped Centrum. 

Astepro recommendation was crazy expensive and long delivery time to TH, so I skipped Astepro for now.

Hard to see a physiologic reason why Centrum would do this unless you have allergy to one of the nonactive ingrediants. Possible but not common.

Anyway wait and see if it recurs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Contrary to what must people believe… one of the first exposure to the “outside world” comes from your gut (Not the skin). The skin is a barrier, the gut lining is naturally permeable to allow for the absorption of nutrients. As you continue consuming high amounts of refined sugars, gluten, and processed foods that gut lining gets damaged but it heals itself repeatedly… until one day… it just can’t heal itself anymore and you will get an inflammatory response with increased permeability or what some call a “leaky gut”.

So now your small intestine becomes damaged, allowing undigested food particles, toxic waste products, and bacteria to "leak" through the intestines and flood the bloodstream. In the case of leaky gut, the openings become too large and permit the entry of harmful substances, potentially leading to various health issues. When your immune system sees these complex compounds inside you, it will fight them. You have just developed an allergic reaction to a new substance.  

Now you are allergic to wheat, or anything with gluten, or nuts… you name it. You get inflammation, allergies, rashes... all because your immune system is fighting what it perceives as a threat. Heal that “leaky gut” and you will see the reactions and allergies go away. And the only way to heal it is through a proper diet.

• Confused 1