TIG Welding and Stainless 1.5mm

skippybangkok

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Which part of "many Thai workers" don't you understand? I didn't write "Thai workers" or "all Thai workers".

If you know many Thai workers who do precision work, then it seems we live in very different parts of the country. 

I understood perfectly well what you meant.

I wouldn't be in Thailand if I had to live in Bangkok.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Really!!! That would be a very unusual choice of gases, pure CO2 will splatter, helium isn’t a common welding gas as it’s expensive. The standard is 75/25 argon/CO2. You can use pure Argon but it isn’t optimal for the material being welded.

FYI I never mentioned PURE co2 as I did not want to digress from the main topic  .     Helium gas for welding  is commonly used in the U.S.A. as opposed to argon in the UK . There are various blends of gases for different welding procedures . No need to be pedantic .

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2024 at 3:46 PM, superal said:

There are various blends of gases for different welding procedures . No need to be pedantic .

Of course there are but when you talk of using CO2 as a welding gas it’s logical to assume 100% CO2  and that is a poor gas to use unless you are needing to use the cheapest and don’t care about throwing BBs off. If you are talking of the most common welding gas for those who can’t mix their own and don’t buy enough then it’s 75%Ar 25%CO2 and nobody I know of would call that CO2

Helium gas for welding  is commonly used in the U.S.A.

And it is 6 X the 75/25 cost, is suitable for a few metals (not steel),good for robotic use and unforgiving of less than perfect manual welding 

FYI I never mentioned PURE co2 as I did not want to digress from the main topic

See above.

1 hour ago, skippybangkok said:

Going out on a limb here, but xx years back i remember at school welding with MIG and CO2.... or maybe it was just cheaper for students to use CO2

We used CO2 for in production for galvanized, painted and rusty. Burns the coating off very well, but we used anti-spatter with it. 

I think a lot of robotic welders use an Ar, CO2 and O2 tri-mix, I know ours did. The O2 really speeds it up. 

5 hours ago, skippybangkok said:

Going out on a limb here, but xx years back i remember at school welding with MIG and CO2.... or maybe it was just cheaper for students to use CO2

While I wasn’t there I can virtually guarantee that it was for cost savings and supply and that the extra splatter it generated was either explained or ignored as I doubt that the welds were critical along with the practical aspect of practice in grinding off the BBs

i do have a baby CO2 tank and a small Argon tank but much prefer the 75% 25% mix

Edited by sometimewoodworker