Teen dies in Bangkok after motorcycle chase ends in horror crash

webfact

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think life should be exiting. Otherwise, what's the point? 

I agree with you... 

But I don't ride a motorcycle in Thailand for the excitement.. I ride it for the convenience... 

You are clouding also the difference between excitement and dangerous.

Do you ride a motorcycle in Thailand for the excitement ?... or for the convenience ?

Or simply because you don't have a car so its your only means of transport ??

That doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive, but riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is hardly a 'recreational activity'... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with what you write mostly...  But its still a hard no with regards to my Son riding a motorcycle.

He will not be taught to ride a motorcycle as IMO, thats the same as giving him permission...  Instead he is being taught that in no uncertain terms riding a motorcycle is a hard no.

You also pointed out that 'most motorcycle' accidents can be avoided, agreed, many through training but there is another facet that you didn't mention and that is experience and understanding. 

When I first came here I wanted to get a motorcycle but quickly realised how dangerous it is here without any experience of how traffic moves and the unpredictability. I rented bikes in the quieter area's when visiting, but not in Bangkok, I instead got a car... It was only later on that I got a motorcycle and I believe it is that 'understanding' of how the traffic moves and works here that has helped me avoid accident...

...so its not just understanding how to operate a bike, but also having that understanding and instinct of the traffic 'culture' around you...  that can't be taught and is why I think traffic here is exponentially more dangerous for teens.

When I came to Bangkok I also thought I will never drive or ride a bike here.

Then I used motorcycle taxis for about 3 years and got used to how things work, all the shortcuts, all the unexpected things which are after a while expected, etc.

And then I started with my first bike in Bangkok. Now, more than 20 years later, I am still riding.

And yes, I understand your concerns. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I agree with you... 

But I don't ride a motorcycle in Thailand for the excitement.. I ride it for the convenience... 

You are clouding also the difference between excitement and dangerous.

Do you ride a motorcycle in Thailand for the excitement ?... or for the convenience ?

Or simply because you don't have a car so its your only means of transport ??

That doesn't mean they are mutually exclusive, but riding a motorcycle in Bangkok is hardly a 'recreational activity'... 

Most of the time I ride a bike for convenience.

Excitement not so much anymore. But when I was young 90% was for the excitement and only a little was necessary riding. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Most of the time I ride a bike for convenience.

Excitement not so much anymore. But when I was young 90% was for the excitement and only a little was necessary riding. 

That wasn't in the muddle of a capital city though I bet...    was it in a quieter town with less traffic and far more road safety conscious drivers... ?

If I lived in an area such as Chiang Mai... I'd have a bike for the enjoyment and ride in the quieter roads in the hills etc... Bangkok just does't allow for that... its a few hours before we can get to anything fun or enjoyable.

32 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

That wasn't in the muddle of a capital city though I bet...    was it in a quieter town with less traffic and far more road safety conscious drivers... ?

It was on the outskirts of a big city in Europe in a country where people obey most traffic rules and other drivers and riders can mostly rely on the fact that the others follow the rules. Obviously very different from Thailand.