Golden cobra startles homeowner in Thailand kitchen

golden-cobra.jpg

A homeowner was shocked to discover a large golden cobra in her kitchen in the Ang Thong province of Thailand. The snake, which was menacingly displaying its hood, caused two kittens to run in fright before the homeowner swiftly called for rescue services today, January 31.

The Ang Thong Provincial Rescue Association was alerted to the presence of the large cobra at house number 111 in the Pet Pho Thong Village, Pho Thong District. Rescue officer Ratha Taepianthong, who is skilled in capturing reptiles was near the scene and dispatched to capture the snake.

Upon arrival, Ratha encountered Siriwawan Chamnan, the 38 year old homeowner, who recounted that while passing through the kitchen to the bathroom, she was startled by her two kittens that were playing and then suddenly ran towards her in panic.

Turning around, she came face to face with the golden cobra, boasting black spots along its body, its hood expanded in a threatening display. In a state of shock, she managed to close the kitchen door and call the rescue services for help.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-31

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 1

I heard in some parts of Asia, if someone finds a snake in their house, it's good luck and a sign that good fortune will come.

I don't know if that applies to dangerous and or poisonous snakes.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, flyingtlger said:

I heard in some parts of Asia, if someone finds a snake in their house, it's good luck and a sign that good fortune will come.

venomous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

In our part of Asia, ie our property, finding a snake in the house is considered bad luck for the snake with no 'good fortune' coming its way.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

...she managed to close the kitchen door and call the rescue services for help.

I'm always happy to see people, mostly Thais, who either call someone for help or capture the animal without harming it. 😊 The usual reaction of most Farangs I know would be to just kill it. 😔

6 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

My elderly neighbor strongly believes this. Won a small amount on the lottery years ago, just after a cobra paid a visit - so that's that.

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

I'm always happy to see people, mostly Thais, who either call someone for help or capture the animal without harming it. 😊 The usual reaction of most Farangs I know would be to just kill it. 😔

I try and make them head over to one of the bordering fields. If they are aggressive, persistent or post a danger to the dog - they might face a different fate. So far only one major cobra encounter - called up someone to help, and he dispatched it. I can deal with 'ordinary' snakes, but know my limits.

I accidently killed a venomous snake in my kitchen 

Pi$$ed the freeloaders off for weeks

Baygon i heard keeps them away so i spray the floors and decks outside now

On 2/1/2024 at 8:58 AM, Morch said:

I try and make them head over to one of the bordering fields. If they are aggressive, persistent or post a danger to the dog - they might face a different fate. So far only one major cobra encounter - called up someone to help, and he dispatched it. I can deal with 'ordinary' snakes, but know my limits.

Just had another one (the green viper with the red butt kind), who chose to hide around the base of the dog's food bowl. Can't have that. Got tossed to the garden with the hope it will continue to the field, but no....just had to come back and fight. Got the other end of the stick (with the sickle implement), then tossed out to the field. Dog already bitten once by such, never again.

On 2/1/2024 at 2:07 AM, flyingtlger said:

Not for the snake it isn't.....dangerous, poisonous or not, they usually get killed brutally.