Share Your Favorite Restaurants In Phangan

5. Roast Sunday lunch/dinner at John the Piemans new place just 50m further up the road on the same side from Masons is great tastes, great value and ample portions that even he wouldn't complain about. Has all the trimmings and a variety of deserts, apple crumble, choc mousse, creme caramel etc. Does good blackboard menu for the rest of the week.

Hear, hear... luvly food and great service to boot. :o

jose '-)

the Green Planet just outside Tong Sala on the west coast beach road, right on the corner. great food and very low prices.

cafe wan in hin kong is my all time favorite for everyday eating

i can't think why anybody would vote for me'n'u. the food is average at best, the prices sky high and the service slow

Aon & Angune - Thai seafood restaurant.

Had the most delicious seafood yesterday at this restaurant on the road to Chaloklum, just past the police station on the left.

The owner buys her fish directly from local fisherman, super-fresh and guaranteed no Formalin (as the sign now says at the Thongsala main market).

Very friendly and enthusiastic service, and one of the few places where they fry with fresh oil. Super tasty food - try the fish cakes!

i can't think why anybody would vote for me'n'u. the food is average at best, the prices sky high and the service slow

Average food? Wow... you have got to be kidding, Steve. Please point to me where in KPG one can find real Western cuisine of this caliber - I'd be very happy to try it out.

Prices at M'e'nu are definitely above KPG average, but well below the norm for this kind of fine food elsewhere in the West.

Slow service? I guess M'e'nu is not the place to eat and run, but the only time we had to wait between courses was at the very busy New Year's Eve dinner.

jose '-)

• 4 weeks later...
To all you Phangan people out there, should we have a seperate pinned thread for Phangan restaurants or would including it in the Samui thread be ok?

The reason I ask is yesterday my husband and I went out for a late lunch at the Peppercorn in Sri Thanu. Excellent food, good portions for reasonable prices. I had the schnitzel with mushroom sauce and sauteed potates. Delicious and only 180 baht (good sized portions too). My husband had the NZ t-bone steak with blue cheese sauce, baked potato and green salad for 490. Very large portions, good steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce was very good.

So, I would like to add the Peppercorn in there, but wondered if it was worth it start a new thread or not.

What do you guys think? Are there enough restaurants to warrant its own thread? Would we get lost in the Samui thread?

Peppercorn has now a website ... http://www.peppercornphangan.com

Ando's mexican on the baan tai road, about 500m from tongsala, across from sri chai (building shop) has really good mexican food and huge portions. i recommend the "drunken fiesta feast" but wear your homer simpson pants.

top shelf margarita is pretty good too.

I love this noodle soup here!

post-56008-1205374123_thumb.jpgpost-56008-1205374324_thumb.jpg

cheap (new 35 Baht) clean and very tasty,

In Thongsala, large main road, near junction street to the hospital, backhouse, gasoline old station and clinic Dr. Worawut

enjoy :D

btw: the "Home made icecream restaurant" (from samui :o ) having a nice restaurant on the street to chaloklum (Maduwan), after Ampoe and police, right hand, drive in, nice garden and some tables outside by the small "river". The ice cream's are fine and the thai food there is exellent. A lot of special dishes.

post-56008-1205374867_thumb.jpg

ham

Try also the new italian "fellini" in Srithanu. Great pizzas and good wine!!

sorry, I tryed already, but there are much better pizzas here on he island!

is from the same guy as chiara in thong sala

SportsBar. There cannot possibly be any better gourmet pizza to be found within a 500km radius of this place. Tasty pizzas with quality ingredients, made with real pizza dough kneaded 5 hours before it hits the oven.

Well, all good things usually come to an end, and this pizza is no exception. Since the pizza-making has been taken over by the Thai cook at the SportsBar, expect uncooked pizzas with a quarter of the toppings found earlier. :o

For the best pizza in Koh Pha-Ngan, it's now a toss-up between the traditional Italian pizza at Chiara in Thongsala, and the deliciously spicy pizza at Milky Bay in Bantai.

jose '-)

Angels Bay in HinKong is a fabulous French restuarant with it's own clay pizza oven. I think their pizzas are absolutley fantastic and very reasonably priced at between 150 and 250 THB. Thin crust, proper cheeses and quick service.

Ando Loco. Hot dam_n that's good mexican food! I'm chimichanga man myself, that's a good start with a top shelf margarita. Ando's a cool dude, makes a great cocktail and entertains when he's behind the bar. The menu is rockin, authentic and creative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Arrowbar in see thanu has good value for money, go there quite often.

They have a great tom yam kung and a good satay with chicken.

really, i'll have to try it. i live 2 mins walk from there and didn;t know they did food.

i also want to second whoever said home made ice cream, it's more than ice cream, great lunch menu and good value.

• 3 weeks later...
Aon & Angune - Thai seafood restaurant.

Had the most delicious seafood yesterday at this restaurant on the road to Chaloklum, just past the police station on the left.

The owner buys her fish directly from local fisherman, super-fresh and guaranteed no Formalin (as the sign now says at the Thongsala main market).

Very friendly and enthusiastic service, and one of the few places where they fry with fresh oil. Super tasty food - try the fish cakes!

Average food? Wow... you have got to be kidding, Steve. Please point to me where in KPG one can find real Western cuisine of this caliber - I'd be very happy to try it out.

Prices at M'e'nu are definitely above KPG average, but well below the norm for this kind of fine food elsewhere in the West.

Slow service? I guess M'e'nu is not the place to eat and run, but the only time we had to wait between courses was at the very busy New Year's Eve dinner.

jose '-)

The food at Johns, near the Masons arms is probably better quality, certainly bigger, and 55 baht for a small singha.

90baht for a singha at Menu is outrageous.

He probably claims it is a vintage bottle he is selling.

No comparison in terms of value for money, or word of mouth recommendation's. Johns wins hands down

(The ancient Aussie Guy behind the bar needs a kick up the behind though)

Edited by Kenbarl

Not really a restaurant, but Gop's bakery on the Madewan road just outside Thong Sala (opposite the pre-school) serves excellent cake, rich and moist. He does mostly takeaway but also birthday cakes to order. Considering that his cakes are rich, moist and flavorful, they are quite competitively priced with those places that sell the dry as dust bland cake.

Talking of ice creams, if you bored of Walls and Nestle', very good home-made ice cream (thai style) on the Thong Sala-Chaloklam road, nearly opposite the big gasoline station. Nice alfresco location and also good quality thai food. For the real italian gelato try Fellini in Srithanu, selling good gelato made from the company Rossini in Lamai. Last arrived a new thai/italian franchise ice cream shop inside Tommy resort in Haad Rin. Average quality.

Sorry I send as new topic but actually I want to send in Phangan restaurants... My mistake!

Edited by angiud

Am I being dumb? I can't find Johns!

A new Isaan restaurant has opened on the way to the hospital. It's a really nice location, very cheap and in my book the only decent Isaan food on the island. Really nice. It's called Sep something. Sorry that's rubbish but you will be able to find it. It's on the right and has lots of those outside seating huts and a live band :o

Tried Peppercorn and thought it was great. The wine was really nice and reasonably priced too. Friendly service.

Also ate at Nic's in Had Rin. Wasn't too happy with what I chose, but everyone else's food was lovely. It's a nice setting, has decent cheap wine and the service is very good. Nice owners too. Great place to bring kids as loads of room, kid friendly food and a play mate in the form of 2 year old Nic who will happily share his large assortment of bikes if asked nicely!

But I still haven't managed to find any really good (Samui standard) authentic Thai food bar Sep for Isaan. Can anyone help? Even the Thais seem stumped when asked. Looking for good sea food (shellfish ideally) and good geng som....

Have you tried the Thai seafood restaurant just past the lady bars, before the high school? I believe its called Chor Chang. We've always had good seafood there.

As for the Sep something place, is it on the main Seethanu road then?: Do they have Laab? (I like a good laab but find too many places use too many innards for my liking).

John is on the road to Nai Wok, just outside Thong Sala, just after the Masons Arms inside that walled house for rent complex. He is only open from Wed-Sun and does a killer Sunday roast.

Found the Restaurant of the "High-Life" Resort - Had Yao a great treat, good Ambiente, Chill out Athmosphere, grand views around sunset, reasonable priced, generous servings, friendly staff, every dish is "farang tuned", so if one desires Thai-Style Radioactivity, PLEASE mention when ordering!

As for the Sep something place, is it on the main Seethanu road then?: Do they have Laab? (I like a good laab but find too many places use too many innards for my liking).

Yes, the road to the hospital (is that the same one?). Not the coast road. Went again the other night and it is really really great. Sooo cheap - som tam is 35 baht, really good service and awesome food. Pet mak though! I haven't tried that laap but they definitely have it. Tried the tap wan, som tam, nam tok muu and tom sep so far and going again tonight! Also have the whole menu translated very literally into english (rather than just doing a completely different english menu) which is really helpful (and fairly amusing at times!).

Thanks for the recommendation - will give it a go.

Am I being dumb? I can't find Johns!

A new Isaan restaurant has opened on the way to the hospital. It's a really nice location, very cheap and in my book the only decent Isaan food on the island. Really nice. It's called Sep something. Sorry that's rubbish but you will be able to find it. It's on the right and has lots of those outside seating huts and a live band :o

Tried Peppercorn and thought it was great. The wine was really nice and reasonably priced too. Friendly service.

Also ate at Nic's in Had Rin. Wasn't too happy with what I chose, but everyone else's food was lovely. It's a nice setting, has decent cheap wine and the service is very good. Nice owners too. Great place to bring kids as loads of room, kid friendly food and a play mate in the form of 2 year old Nic who will happily share his large assortment of bikes if asked nicely!

But I still haven't managed to find any really good (Samui standard) authentic Thai food bar Sep for Isaan. Can anyone help? Even the Thais seem stumped when asked. Looking for good sea food (shellfish ideally) and good geng som....

Well...Yes, Bamboo, as mentioned by an earlier poster, but it's in Thong Nai Pan Noi, not Yai.

Gan the owner is from Udon Thani (or Nongkai, have to ask the wife, she's her friend, known her since 2000 when she started with just 2 tables. Now there is a big house with Red Indian stuff in the original location). Her brother does good juices in a place across the road and slightly more central.

It's not exactly an upscale restaurant, so the choice is limited, but really good and authentic, yes.

Everyone knows Gan, but probably not that it is called Bamboo.

Well...Yes, Bamboo, as mentioned by an earlier poster, but it's in Thong Nai Pan Noi, not Yai.

Gan the owner is from Udon Thani (or Nongkai, have to ask the wife, she's her friend, known her since 2000 when she started with just 2 tables. Now there is a big house with Red Indian stuff in the original location). Her brother does good juices in a place across the road and slightly more central.

It's not exactly an upscale restaurant, so the choice is limited, but really good and authentic, yes.

I know Gan very well, and the food at bamboo is good, but not authentic isaan - more isaan for farangs. She knows I can eat spicy food, yet still I don't get som tam anywhere near as hot as I would like and she doesn't do Som Tam Puu. It's also nearly twice the price of the restaurant in Tong Sala and you can't get things like Nam Tok, Tom Sep or Tap waan so I am afraid it just doesn't compete in my book. Sorry Gan!!

I know Gan very well, and the food at bamboo is good, but not authentic isaan - more isaan for farangs. She knows I can eat spicy food, yet still I don't get som tam anywhere near as hot as I would like and she doesn't do Som Tam Puu. It's also nearly twice the price of the restaurant in Tong Sala and you can't get things like Nam Tok, Tom Sep or Tap waan so I am afraid it just doesn't compete in my book. Sorry Gan!!

Ah well, when we go my wife goes into the kitchen, which probably explains the authenticity. :o