Share Your Favorite Restaurants In Phangan

BIC you are very protective about Boat Ahoy - Jose was only giving his experience...which was a pretty rubbish one. I have never heard good things about Boat Ahoy but it does always give us a laugh when we go past (like who would dream up such a bizarre concept?).

To be honest much as I love KP is does lack decent Thai food. Though the farang food just keeps getting better. Chaw Chang (reccommended on this thread) is our 'meal out' destination place to binge on oysters. The geng som is good with young coconut and whatever fish they have fresh.

For cheap Thai eats - the Khao man gai shop road is a staple (already described a couple of times I think, near the post office). The biggest wooden shop is good for chicken - khao mun gain, khao mok gai, satay chicken - but the one directly next to the post office is definitely best for Khao Ka Muu (pork leg and rice). It is the only Thai food I miss from Koh Phangan now I am living in Trang! In Had Rin, the Thai rest opposite what used to be the snake bar on the Tommy Road (called Loma in Thai but has a different farang name I think) is actually really good, and not too expensive for had rin. There gradat muu (little bony bits of pork) with lemongrass and lime leaves is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING. They do delivery so we used to often get them to deliver 2 boxes to munch on with beers...oh and the Tom Yum talay is really good...we always order is nam khom (with milk) and extra tomatoes.

I think it's well worth it's own thread.

My contribution, sorry can't remember the name but this resuarant is directly opposite the pier in Chaloklum. Best Eggs Benedict i've had in Thailand and that includes a lot of posh hotels

Any one know the name ?

lands end or something to that effect. were the walls red?

Worlds end, I think it is.

i just went to the fisherman's restaurant on the main road in Ban Tai, directly across from Dr Dteng's dentist office. amazing value for money and great food. the red curry crab is 100 baht and its a good size crab. my friends went there, 4 people ate about 6-7 plates of seafood, total bill, 600 baht! they keep the prices so low and the fish fresh because they catch it them selves.

steve

I have also been to this restaurant and it is fantastic. Great mussels at 80 baht in garlic, butter and white wine..yummmm. Squid tempura and I agree crab curry to die for.....Oh and the mojitos are the best I have had on the island, with a special at the moment for 99 baht...bargain.

Slurp.. I'll go see seafood restaurant. Maybe the same owners of the long time closed Luana, both there and in Haad Rin (nice family, captain brother always drunk).

I don't know if somebody wrote already, but Milky Bay Moo Kra ta (thai bbq all you can eat for 99) is fairly good, with very nice al fresco location and aircon buffet showroom.

Slurp.. I'll go see seafood restaurant. Maybe the same owners of the long time closed Luana, both there and in Haad Rin (nice family, captain brother always drunk).

I don't know if somebody wrote already, but Milky Bay Moo Kra ta (thai bbq all you can eat for 99) is fairly good, with very nice al fresco location and aircon buffet showroom.

The family from luana had the original fishermans bar, but as I am married to one of them, I can tell you that this restaurant is not related at all to that family. Def worth checking out though. Enjoy.

I can only second that;

Chris, once again, did a great job!

• 2 weeks later...

Milky Moo Kra Ta - started well .. went downhill fast ... the meat is really low grade now ... heard he's not making any profit so maybe cutting corners - my thai wife thinks its the worst moo kra ta food she's had anywhere in thailand - nice ambience though with the girl singer, low lighting and planting... next stop ... must try that seafood place you are all ranting about though ...

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have John the Pieman's number they can pm me or post on here? Or if anyone has plans to go there in the next week or so, could they kindly ask him for a contact number, I need to make quite a large reservation. Thanks

• 3 months later...

Some (not so happy) updates on the wonderful panorama of KPG restaurants.

Mediterraneo Thong Sala has closed (will open new year with 2 new owners)

Vietnamese restaurant (close to Mediterraneo) closed and reverted to thai cooking school

All'Arena (ex Colosseo) in Haad Rin is closing

New opening of a new japanese restaurant opposite the Seatran/Lompraiah pier. Managed by a nice japanese couple. Very good food and fair prices

Johnnes restaurant in Haad Rin, close to the pier, closed

Yes, I've noticed the closures since I got back, our two favorite Laab places have closed (one opp the boxing arena on the Ban Tai road, the other in Ban Tai village) so if anyone knows of a good laab place I'd be interested.

The Indian curry place on the Ban Tai road is gone as well.

Yes, I've noticed the closures since I got back, our two favorite Laab places have closed (one opp the boxing arena on the Ban Tai road, the other in Ban Tai village) so if anyone knows of a good laab place I'd be interested.

The Indian curry place on the Ban Tai road is gone as well.

the one closed next to boxing (I missing this one too) ....her younger sister has the restaurant at the left, when you passing Limpipong and the "Light" turning right. Very nice and good Issan food under the big shady tree ;-)

btw, near your place.....

I've heard about a new great place outside Ban Tai, Thai couple making Italian food and the pizza's (and all other served dishes) must have been great said an italian pizza lover friend of mine. The name of the restaurant seems to be "Gondula". They doing a very good job they said. Will check sooner or later my self and comment. But sounds interesting to me!

long time i had the plan to go to the famous italian restaurant in Chaloklum, everybody talk's about, when it comes to good italian food.

The restaurant is in the old village part at the house row which have access to the beach. Actually many nice places there. But back to the Cucina Italia how it is named with a small board on the small street. It looks like all thai restaurant there. a small garden place above the beach (go through the restaurant's empty room. So have a look out for that board.

We tried Pizza of coarse and other tasty stuff like seafood salad and we were served with a small digestive (local brandy). Gieni (or so ;-) the owner makes really good italian pizza's. They are making the best pizza at the west coast so far. Nice atmosphere! I could even get a nice spicy chilly oil. The "bread" is thin and crispy. Enjoy

here some pictures

post-56008-1256298444_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298647_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1256298482_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298515_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1256298600_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298626_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1256298458_thumb.jpg

Nice pics "ham"...

Gianni was always a favorite for us. While living on the island we did at least twice a week, the trip to Chaloklum, for his cuisine and friendliness.

During the European summer he used to go back to Rimini to help his mother who is running a trattoria.

But he trained his wife so well, that you would not have been able to see any difference in cuisine and qualite :)

Next time you are visiting in place, say hello from Poum & Michel...

Nice pics "ham"...

Gianni was always a favorite for us. While living on the island we did at least twice a week, the trip to Chaloklum, for his cuisine and friendliness.

During the European summer he used to go back to Rimini to help his mother who is running a trattoria.

But he trained his wife so well, that you would not have been able to see any difference in cuisine and qualite :)

Next time you are visiting in place, say hello from Poum & Michel...

the name of the restaurant is actually boskow night light and it is good to see Jenni getting the recognition he deserves. pastas are handmade daily and prices are reasonable beyond belief.

excellent family atmosphere. my 3 year old daughter demands pasta form jenni daily and i would be hard pressed to find a better carbonara in bangkok or anywhere else.

To all you Phangan people out there, should we have a seperate pinned thread for Phangan restaurants or would including it in the Samui thread be ok?

The reason I ask is yesterday my husband and I went out for a late lunch at the Peppercorn in Sri Thanu. Excellent food, good portions for reasonable prices. I had the schnitzel with mushroom sauce and sauteed potates. Delicious and only 180 baht (good sized portions too). My husband had the NZ t-bone steak with blue cheese sauce, baked potato and green salad for 490. Very large portions, good steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce was very good.

So, I would like to add the Peppercorn in there, but wondered if it was worth it start a new thread or not.

What do you guys think? Are there enough restaurants to warrant its own thread? Would we get lost in the Samui thread?

Any decent mexican food on KPNG?

To all you Phangan people out there, should we have a seperate pinned thread for Phangan restaurants or would including it in the Samui thread be ok?

The reason I ask is yesterday my husband and I went out for a late lunch at the Peppercorn in Sri Thanu. Excellent food, good portions for reasonable prices. I had the schnitzel with mushroom sauce and sauteed potates. Delicious and only 180 baht (good sized portions too). My husband had the NZ t-bone steak with blue cheese sauce, baked potato and green salad for 490. Very large portions, good steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce was very good.

So, I would like to add the Peppercorn in there, but wondered if it was worth it start a new thread or not.

What do you guys think? Are there enough restaurants to warrant its own thread? Would we get lost in the Samui thread?

Any decent mexican food on KPNG?

yes, Ando Loco's place outside Thongsala on the mainstreet to Ban Tai, right hand, lot's of plant's. Nice place, nice owner's

• 2 weeks later...

New Israeli restaurant in Haad Rin, named Marinada, close to the "Chicken Corner". Usual israeli food like hummus, Tahini, very good taste, and for the opening, but I guess after too, free flow of red wine and grilled meat (beef tenderloin, sirloin, liver, chicken steak, etc), very good quality.

The special charge for the opening was 400 baht, but I guess will be more if they follow to do "churrasco" style.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

long time i had the plan to go to the famous italian restaurant in Chaloklum, everybody talk's about, when it comes to good italian food.

The restaurant is in the old village part at the house row which have access to the beach. Actually many nice places there. But back to the Cucina Italia how it is named with a small board on the small street. It looks like all thai restaurant there. a small garden place above the beach (go through the restaurant's empty room. So have a look out for that board.

We tried Pizza of coarse and other tasty stuff like seafood salad and we were served with a small digestive (local brandy). Gieni (or so ;-) the owner makes really good italian pizza's. They are making the best pizza at the west coast so far. Nice atmosphere! I could even get a nice spicy chilly oil. The "bread" is thin and crispy. Enjoy

here some pictures

post-56008-1256298444_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298647_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1256298482_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298515_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1256298600_thumb.jpg post-56008-1256298626_thumb.jpg

9 months ago since somebody posted in this forum! Phangan must be dead?

Just spent two weeks here and enjoyed the island a lot. The only downside was the lack of good food in my opinion, on Samui I know all the good and (most of the time) cheap Thai eateries. I remembered this thread last night, so a bit late to benefit from it since today I'll be shipping out to Samui again. In February I should be back over again and I will read this thread again to check out some Thai eateries.

One place that really rocked my boat is the place described above by Ham, I've visited it three times and the food is just absolutely amazing, it's also the only place in Chaloklum that each night has customers. Be aware that they're closed on Mondays. I did a write up on my blog, enjoy!

Edited by limbos

• 8 months later...

My Best restaurant is Benjamins Huts restaurant in Haad Chao Pao.

This is a thai family run restaurant and resort. This is budget category but the food!

They are more than friendly!

If you are not posh just want to eat something really tasty the best choice!

I ate my best mussaman there! The salads are excellent, good portions!

I eat here the best spagetti carbonara in my life!

The burgers are also fine with home made bread!

There are fine fresh coffe, coctails.

My best shakes are here also, what I can drink just here! This is milk based fruit shake blanded with Mars, Snickers, Twix or Bounty!

These plates are around 100bath, shakes 50-60, drinks, coffe 30. BUT this place is much more better value than most of others in this category!

Oh I'm getting hunrgy!

This is a thai family run restaurant and resort. This is budget category but the food!

My best shakes are here also, what I can drink just here! This is milk based fruit shake blanded with Mars, Snickers, Twix or Bounty!

These plates are around 100bath, shakes 50-60, drinks, coffe 30. BUT this place is much more better value than most of others in this category!

Oh I'm getting hunrgy!

:lol: I love your review....really really ummmm great!

Oh I'm getting hunrgy!

Thanks a lot great mate...seems like the best restaurant in the whole world. I just want to eat there three timess a day for ever and ever. How can a restaurant be soooooo great. And everyones the most friendly person in the world.....................Ooops hold on....i'm about to keel over just at the excitement of it all....:rolleyes:

How long have you had the restaurnat anyway?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think the best thai restaurant in Phangan is the green one behind Tesco Lotus...I go there everyday..also the pizza wood fire and the pasta are delicious...big size and cheap!

best thai restaurant for pizza and pasta???:rolleyes:

The Wok Kitchen Restaurant,(Kled Kaew)Thong Sala - Bantai rd about 100mt after Big A and directly near Body Gym, at the moment absolutely number 1 on the Island!