Share Your Favorite Restaurants In Phangan

• 1 month later...

Two new italian restaurants (sigh!): Monna Lisa in Haad Rin, behind Drop In Bar (good luck!) and Mediterraneo (greek and italian cuisine), near Big A and opposite 7 eleven. Still no try.

Ah, forget, a "vietnamese" restaurant from the guys of "Same Same" in the same position of "Mediterraneo". Average food.

Edited by angiud

Just had a really tasty Margarita & garlic pizza at Frank's Restaurant in Bantai, just 1Km out of Thong Sala left on the main road before the bridge, next to the Sports bar.

There is some fine food and desserts in François' menu. The restaurant's fine decor mirrors the owner being a genuine French restaurateur. :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

my dear, Jose, you must be fat like a planet :-) ...but to be honest.... I have added about more than five kilos over the last five years I live on KPN. if it

goes on like this Jose and me we will form a new culinaric galaxy within some years here on the island. I always thought about opening a restaurant. just

to speed things up...

I would like to mention the restaurant of COOKIES BUNGALOWS at Aow Nai Wok, which is on the west coast close to Thong Sala. Here you will get served

delicious and fresh Thai and western cuisine such as international breakfasts for a bargain price in extremely cosy athmosphere with panoramic sea views

towards Angthon National Marine Park. Very recommendable for any time of the day. I love the hamburger sets with french fries for just 120THB.

...and here comes a secret link to a very good and extremely reasonable priced Thai restaurant in Thong Sala which is not just good but also very good

hidden. My wife and me we call it the NOODLE SHOP and you can find it opposite "Sexy Scissors" on the corner behind the big building in a small dirt road.

The location is very sweet with a roofed teracce where the decks plantation looks like it will fall into your soup by every minute but keeps efficiently the sun

away for the sake of an enjoyable time with no sunburns.

The rastaurant is famous for its Thai soups: gootiau nam moo toon (slowly cooked pork), gootiau nam tok (with blood) and tom yum. But they also have

various other Thai dishes such as phad khapau moo/gai, phad prik moo/gai etc. - very delicious. Here we eat with four persons for under 150THB in total.

Greetings

LG

(just a small side business)

my dear, Jose, you must be fat like a planet :-) ...but to be honest.... I have added about more than five kilos over the last five years I live on KPN. if it

goes on like this Jose and me we will form a new culinaric galaxy within some years here on the island. I always thought about opening a restaurant. just

to speed things up...

I would like to mention the restaurant of COOKIES BUNGALOWS at Aow Nai Wok, which is on the west coast close to Thong Sala. Here you will get served

delicious and fresh Thai and western cuisine such as international breakfasts for a bargain price in extremely cosy athmosphere with panoramic sea views

towards Angthon National Marine Park. Very recommendable for any time of the day. I love the hamburger sets with french fries for just 120THB.

...and here comes a secret link to a very good and extremely reasonable priced Thai restaurant in Thong Sala which is not just good but also very good

hidden. My wife and me we call it the NOODLE SHOP and you can find it opposite "Sexy Scissors" on the corner behind the big building in a small dirt road.

The location is very sweet with a roofed teracce where the decks plantation looks like it will fall into your soup by every minute but keeps efficiently the sun

away for the sake of an enjoyable time with no sunburns.

The rastaurant is famous for its Thai soups: gootiau nam moo toon (slowly cooked pork), gootiau nam tok (with blood) and tom yum. But they also have

various other Thai dishes such as phad khapau moo/gai, phad prik moo/gai etc. - very delicious. Here we eat with four persons for under 150THB in total.

Greetings

LG

(just a small side business)

thats the one? Indeed very tasty food and very nice place.

(Picture about 3 or more years old)

post-56008-1220343671_thumb.jpg

please forget what I have said about the hamburger sets of the restaurant at Cookies Bungalows in Nai Wok.

today I was there and the Cheeseburger was a nightmare. they must have changed staff in the kitchen.

the french fries were tasty as always and presumably all Thai food is still of the same good quality but after

my experience today I at least would not recommend their Cheesburger.

I would like to mention the restaurant of COOKIES BUNGALOWS at Aow Nai Wok, which is on the west coast close to Thong Sala.

I still have fond memories of my first real coconut shake there - no dairy milk, just ice and coconut.

Now, if I could only just squeeze through my front door... I'll give that recommended soup place in Thong Sala a try sometime. :o

and if we are by good soup's, here is another one (35 Baht) just a bit further down, after Dr. Worawut and the everytime closed Japanes Restaurant. Try the yellow noodles with "mu daeng" aloi mak mag

cand be found here:

post-56008-1220418655_thumb.jpg

post-56008-1220418674_thumb.jpg

I have to add Cool Runnings on the Ban Tai road, the food is very good, portions generous and the atmosphere friendly :D

This is a Jose's restaurant.... :D the famous member of this forum...... :o it is?.....

Jose is most certainly not the owner if that is what you are trying to imply?

• 1 month later...

we went out to eat at Mediterraneo in Thong Sala on the main road the other night and the food was delicious...they do Greek and Italian food which is nice for a change...I don't think I have seen a greek restaurant anywhere in thailand...i was surprised at the large portions for the prices ...I had the vegetarian moussaka ( :o ) and my girlfriend had the chicken souvlaki , with these dips and pita bread the owner makes herself...soooo good!

• 3 months later...
I think it's well worth it's own thread.

My contribution, sorry can't remember the name but this resuarant is directly opposite the pier in Chaloklum. Best Eggs Benedict i've had in Thailand and that includes a lot of posh hotels

Any one know the name ?

yes i do know the name of it as its my local for those delicious eggs benedict..

its called "the worlds end" run by a man named spike...

we went out to eat at Mediterraneo in Thong Sala on the main road the other night and the food was delicious...they do Greek and Italian food which is nice for a change...I don't think I have seen a greek restaurant anywhere in thailand...i was surprised at the large portions for the prices ...I had the vegetarian moussaka ( :o ) and my girlfriend had the chicken souvlaki , with these dips and pita bread the owner makes herself...soooo good!

hi,where exactly in thongsala..?? i'd like to check out this resturant..thanks

Close to Mediterraneo (greek-italian) and the no-name vietnamese Same-Same restaurant, just before Big A, there is a little cafe managed by a Bkk nice couple (I don't know the name of the place). They have fusion food (I don't try yet), very good cheesecake, choco cake, BUT the VERY BEST espresso on the island! (believe me, I'm italian) (and a little jealous too... :o )

• 1 month later...

For quality Thai food try Boat Ahoy, Ban Tai on main Road. Its a massive restaurent but sitting on the wood tables down the side is cosy. The Chicken Cashew Nut is the best Ive had and they do lovely big Oysters and fish dishes. I think some of the best thai food on the island.

Next door to Boat Ahoy is Somtum - North Thailand food - delicious!! Same Thai owner as Boat Ahoy.

Little Hanoi is the Vietnamese name near Thong Sala - good quality and tasty food for when you want something different.

The Pork Noodle shop opposite sexy scissors (on dirt road behind the Guesthouse opposite) is the BEST- they have jars of red hot sauteed chilli on the tables to add to the soup to your liking!!! Dont forget the pork scratchings - the best!

For Pizza's try Same Same in Haadrin (only at full moon) ot Ladybar2 on Thong Sala Road as they both have proper clay ovens - both make fantastic thin based Italian style pizzas - you can order your own versions! I like mine with extra extra extra chilli! Yum!

Italian - Mona Lisa behind Drop in Bar does awesome home made pasta.

Cookies in Haad Salad has great food - the chef who used to work in thier WokTum resort is now at the Haad Salad resort which is probably why the food in Woktum gets mixed reports! The view from their Restuarant deck look over Haad Salad is stunning!

Another local great thai place is the one down the road (on same side) as the Post Office -next door to the Limipong Electric shop - they do awesome Yellow Curry Rice with Chicken, their boiled Chicken with buttered rice is great too as is their red pork. Cheap as - 35baht a dish!!! Don't miss it!

MENU closed down a few months back!!

John's Bar & Bistro (John Pie Man) next to MAsons Arms is good for farang food.

The 'real' British Indian restaurent on Ban Tai Road is actually really good. Dont know if they buy in the curries or make them themselves but they really do taste like real curries!

And not forgetting .. the night market in Thong Sala... the stall right at the back on the right side does really good cheap Thai food...

And finally don't forget the local 7/11 chicken steak burgers - they taste awesome after a few beers. Dont know how they are when sober though!!!!

Edited by BIC

i just went to the fisherman's restaurant on the main road in Ban Tai, directly across from Dr Dteng's dentist office. amazing value for money and great food. the red curry crab is 100 baht and its a good size crab. my friends went there, 4 people ate about 6-7 plates of seafood, total bill, 600 baht! they keep the prices so low and the fish fresh because they catch it them selves.

steve

For quality Thai food try Boat Ahoy...

Next door to Boat Ahoy is Somtum

Quality? Hmmm... Well, let me tell you about our experience dining at these two prominent eateries.

The first time we ate at Somtum back in 2004 resulted in myself with a bad case of diarrhea. I put that unpleasant experience down to bad luck, and knowing that it is owned by the same person, decided to try Boat Ahoy next door in 2007.

On that second visit, my wife ordered a sticky rice which came served in a tastefully presented bamboo stick (kratib). Her first bite at the sticky rice almost resulted in a broken tooth when she bit into some very coarse sand embedded within the rice. We put this down to bad luck or lack of care from one of the kitchen staff, and asked the owner politely if she would replace it, which she did grudgingly.

When the second lot of sticky rice arrived, the rocky sand was still there. At first the owner refused to even look at the rice, saying that it was just hard rice. Then when we begun to take out the rocky sand from the rice, she claimed that we had put it there.

We kept our cool, and asked for a third and last serving of the sticky rice. When it arrived, we asked the waitress to stay with us at the table as we proceeded to take out the sand stones from the sticky rice. The owner stormed to our table, and in a very ugly manner told us that all rice in Thailand have these stones, and that if we have a problem with that we should take it up with the farmers.

We paid our bill (including the uneaten rice) and left quietly, never to come back.

Living locally, I eventually found out that the restaurant owner pays her Isaan staff some of the lowest wages on the island (2,000-3,000 Baht per month), and that does not include accommodation or even food. If she is prepared to cut corners with staff, it's no surprise she will do the same when it comes to food quality.

I wonder how a so big and nice restaurant can take care customers so bad...

Maybe that is one of the reasons because is always almost empty.

Can I suggest the thai restaurant enclosed in the "homemade ice cream place" after Thong Sala, on the way to Chaloklum?

Very good thai food in a pleasant 'al fresco" location along a small river full of fishes.

Ive never ever had bad service in boat ahoy - they have always been excellent with their friendliness and service. :o Shame for you Anguid as the food is so good ... but I agree it often looks empty but I doubt for the reason you mention ... it is possibly because of its bad location on the main road in Ban Tai (not many resorts near) but also because of its massive size - It often looks empty even when 6 tables are full due to its size - thats why I advise sitting in the cosy area at the side.

For quality Thai food try Boat Ahoy...

Next door to Boat Ahoy is Somtum

Quality? Hmmm... Well, let me tell you about our experience dining at these two prominent eateries.

The first time we ate at Somtum back in 2004 resulted in myself with a bad case of diarrhea. I put that unpleasant experience down to bad luck, and knowing that it is owned by the same person, decided to try Boat Ahoy next door in 2007.

On that second visit, my wife ordered a sticky rice which came served in a tastefully presented bamboo stick (kratib). Her first bite at the sticky rice almost resulted in a broken tooth when she bit into some very coarse sand embedded within the rice. We put this down to bad luck or lack of care from one of the kitchen staff, and asked the owner politely if she would replace it, which she did grudgingly.

When the second lot of sticky rice arrived, the rocky sand was still there. At first the owner refused to even look at the rice, saying that it was just hard rice. Then when we begun to take out the rocky sand from the rice, she claimed that we had put it there.

We kept our cool, and asked for a third and last serving of the sticky rice. When it arrived, we asked the waitress to stay with us at the table as we proceeded to take out the sand stones from the sticky rice. The owner stormed to our table, and in a very ugly manner told us that all rice in Thailand have these stones, and that if we have a problem with that we should take it up with the farmers.

We paid our bill (including the uneaten rice) and left quietly, never to come back.

Living locally, I eventually found out that the restaurant owner pays her Isaan staff some of the lowest wages on the island (2,000-3,000 Baht per month), and that does not include accommodation or even food. If she is prepared to cut corners with staff, it's no surprise she will do the same when it comes to food quality.

1/2 a page of this screen you write complaing about rice?? .....and low incomes ....Well, they wouldnt work there if they did not accept the income..... Get a life!

Hey... you're complaining about "1/2 a page of this screen", and you go on to re-post it? What's the problem, BIC - too many words for you to comprehend? Perhaps this is the reason it took you a week to respond.

FYI, I'm not complaining about rice nor wages - just letting prospective visitors to this eatery know that "quality", as you've put it, is definitely not on their menu.