Share Your Favorite Restaurants In Phangan

To all you Phangan people out there, should we have a seperate pinned thread for Phangan restaurants or would including it in the Samui thread be ok?

The reason I ask is yesterday my husband and I went out for a late lunch at the Peppercorn in Sri Thanu. Excellent food, good portions for reasonable prices. I had the schnitzel with mushroom sauce and sauteed potates. Delicious and only 180 baht (good sized portions too). My husband had the NZ t-bone steak with blue cheese sauce, baked potato and green salad for 490. Very large portions, good steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce was very good.

So, I would like to add the Peppercorn in there, but wondered if it was worth it start a new thread or not.

What do you guys think? Are there enough restaurants to warrant its own thread? Would we get lost in the Samui thread?

• Like 1

I think it's well worth it's own thread.

My contribution, sorry can't remember the name but this resuarant is directly opposite the pier in Chaloklum. Best Eggs Benedict i've had in Thailand and that includes a lot of posh hotels

Any one know the name ?

own thread as the Phangan recommendations will get hidden amongst all of the samui ones...

Perhaps a seperate thread for Phangan and Tao together.

Not sure if it's in the samui thread, but Dr Frogs is pretty good, great view accross the bay, nicer view than the cliff and I thought better food too. Also a decent bar for a few drinks after the meal.

Defo worth a visit.

I would strongly recommend these four fine establishments in Koh Pha-Ngan (I'm a satisfied patron with no financial ties to any restaurant):

Me'n'u (pronounced Me 'n You) - the closest one can possibly come to a visual and culinary five star experience in Koh Pha-Ngan. Expect to encounter delicate flavours (and colours) beyond your expectations. Take your family and friends there for that special cuisine occasion. Reasonably priced enough for a monthly visit.

SportsBar - left on the first bridge on the main road from Thongsala to Bantai. There cannot possibly be any better gourmet pizza to be found within a 500km radius of this place. Tasty pizzas with quality ingredients, made with real pizza dough kneaded 5 hours before it hits the oven. Avoid this place at all costs if on a diet. :o

Honorary mention: Chiara Pizza in Thongsala.

Numpanit (well, next door to it) - for the tastiest traditional (and simple) Thai food, I would recommend lunchtime at this small establishment near Thongsala's post office. The pad se ew is always delicious there, and so is their kao mok kai (yellow rice with chicken). Lunch only.

Nong Tang - on the right after the first bend on the main road out of Thongsala's old pier. Fresh and tastiest local seafood, my wife's favourite local Thai restaurant.

jose '-)

To all you Phangan people out there, should we have a seperate pinned thread for Phangan restaurants or would including it in the Samui thread be ok?

The reason I ask is yesterday my husband and I went out for a late lunch at the Peppercorn in Sri Thanu. Excellent food, good portions for reasonable prices. I had the schnitzel with mushroom sauce and sauteed potates. Delicious and only 180 baht (good sized portions too). My husband had the NZ t-bone steak with blue cheese sauce, baked potato and green salad for 490. Very large portions, good steak, cooked to perfection, the sauce was very good.

So, I would like to add the Peppercorn in there, but wondered if it was worth it start a new thread or not.

What do you guys think? Are there enough restaurants to warrant its own thread? Would we get lost in the Samui thread?

Sounds fabulous. Promote it. :o

• Like 1

SportsBar - left on the first bridge on the main road from Thongsala to Bantai. There cannot possibly be any better gourmet pizza to be found within a 500km radius of this place. Tasty pizzas with quality ingredients, made with real pizza dough kneaded 5 hours before it hits the oven. Avoid this place at all costs if on a diet. :o

Honorary mention: Chiara Pizza in Thongsala.

jose '-)

Hi Jose! Thanks for the additions. The Sports Bar is the new place just at the bridge, opposite the old Boom Guest House, right?

What do their prices run? Sizes? and what kind of crust is it?

Pizza Chiara is pretty good but he can be stingy on the toppings IMO. I like a generaous amount of toppings (& cheese!) on my pizza. :D

The Sports Bar is the new place just at the bridge, opposite the old Boom Guest House, right?

Yes, that's the one, SBK.

What do their prices run? Sizes? and what kind of crust is it?

Last night I had a 4-cheese pizza to myself, and the wife had a Hawaiian version (pineapple & ham), extra garlic on both, for 430 Baht.

The pizzas have a medium thin crust, not too soft and not crispy like a biscuit. The texture is slightly chewy and tasty.

If you like cheese, try the 4-cheese version - but be warned, this particular pizza can satisfy two hungry people. :o

I'd like to mention the home-made ice cream place on the road to Chaloklum, on the right past the police station. Very nice place in a jungle garden setting.

Their Coconut and Banana ice creams are out of this world. They also have some very nice Thai seafood - look for the specials on the Thai board.

jose '-)

Casa Italia Pizza on Soi Krungthai - great pizza and pasta, ask for steve's california pesto pizza.

Cefe Wan on the little connector road in Hin Kong between the beach road and the mea haad road - great thai and western food, cheap and friendly service.

steve

I think it's well worth it's own thread.

My contribution, sorry can't remember the name but this resuarant is directly opposite the pier in Chaloklum. Best Eggs Benedict i've had in Thailand and that includes a lot of posh hotels

Any one know the name ?

lands end or something to that effect. were the walls red?

The restaurant mentioned earlier in this thread is called "The World's End", and yes it's directly opposite the pier in Chaloklum.

I am the chef there and one of the partners in the business. At the moment I am in San Francisco but will rerurn to KPG around Christmas.

http://theworldsendkohphangan.com

Thanks for the compliment on the eggs benedict :o

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
SportsBar. There cannot possibly be any better gourmet pizza to be found within a 500km radius of this place. Tasty pizzas with quality ingredients, made with real pizza dough kneaded 5 hours before it hits the oven.

Well, all good things usually come to an end, and this pizza is no exception. Since the pizza-making has been taken over by the Thai cook at the SportsBar, expect uncooked pizzas with a quarter of the toppings found earlier. :o

For the best pizza in Koh Pha-Ngan, it's now a toss-up between the traditional Italian pizza at Chiara in Thongsala, and the deliciously spicy pizza at Milky Bay in Bantai.

jose '-)

Edited by Jose

• 3 weeks later...

The World's End Restaurant in Chaloklum has recently re-opened after the untimely death of co-owner Mark Smith. Mark was also co-owner of The Dive Inn Diving School in Chaloklum and is survived by his wife Fern Smith. Fern will be operating The Dive Inn as well as remaining co-owner of The World's End Restaurant, Cafe & Bar along with myself, chef Spike Waltzer. I will be returning to Koh Phangan at Christmas and will be cooking along with our daytime cook and server, Tio. We thank you and appreciate your continued support.

The World's End

Thank you, Jet. It's been a very difficult time for us all. Mark was an amazing and lovely man who touched many people deeply. Of course the greatest sadness must be for his wife who I hope will have the strength and courage to carry on in his absence. I am still in shock at Mark's sudden death but Fern and I both feel strongly about carrying on with The World's End. The restaurant and his diving school, The Dive Inn, were his dream. We hope to honor his memory with both.

^ Spike, really sorry to hear of your friend's passing. Please give my condolences to his wife. Always heard great things about your restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Masons Arms, Tong Sala on a sunday. Cider and a roast. Wicked bangers and mash, good pies, brekkies, black pudding etc. Never fails. It aint haute cuisine but it is a life line. And it still trips me out every time I see it!

Boozy's Bistro Tong Nai Pan Yai - homemade bread, lovely pasta and israeli food

Bamboo Tong Nai Pan Yai for Isaan

Raiwin resort Tong Nai Pan Noi for pizzas

Pongs Tong Nai Pan Noi for everything

Luna Lounge for lovely wine and cheese/charcuterie plates and a wicked atmosphere (Tong Nai Pan Noi)

ps - it's my b day in a couple of weeks. Is MeNu well worth the trip up there? Sounds like it is...

Masons Arms, Tong Sala on a sunday. Cider and a roast. Wicked bangers and mash, good pies, brekkies, black pudding etc. Never fails. It aint haute cuisine but it is a life line. And it still trips me out every time I see it!

Boozy's Bistro Tong Nai Pan Yai - homemade bread, lovely pasta and israeli food

Bamboo Tong Nai Pan Yai for Isaan

Raiwin resort Tong Nai Pan Noi for pizzas

Pongs Tong Nai Pan Noi for everything

Luna Lounge for lovely wine and cheese/charcuterie plates and a wicked atmosphere (Tong Nai Pan Noi)

ps - it's my b day in a couple of weeks. Is MeNu well worth the trip up there? Sounds like it is...

I ate here in August with my wife and for me is the best restaurent on this island. I

t's expensive and it's a menu of tasting not gastronomic.

You must to it take completely.

There are also a good selection on wine and for two person, I paid 3 500 baht with a bottle of red wine :o

it's my b day in a couple of weeks. Is MeNu well worth the trip up there? Sounds like it is...

IMO, Me'n'u is definitely worth the trip around from TNP for any occasion, but specially so for that once-a-year event.

And for the rest of us who don't have birthdays until next year, there are wicked Xmas and New Year's Eve set-menu dinners coming up (book first) - not to be missed. :o

jose '-)

Last night I was in Had Rin and heard a rumour about a great Italian hidden away. After a bit of traipsing we came to Pinos pizzaria behind Tommy's Resort. We had the best pizza either me or my friend have ever had outside Italy....period. And 180 baht each too.

If you like proper Italian pizza go! They also do fresh pasta which I am going to try next time. Such an awesome meal - we came away with massive smiles on our faces and decided that we would make a monthly trip to Had Rin just to go again.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
The World's End Restaurant in Chaloklum has recently re-opened after the untimely death of co-owner Mark Smith. Mark was also co-owner of The Dive Inn Diving School in Chaloklum and is survived by his wife Fern Smith. Fern will be operating The Dive Inn as well as remaining co-owner of The World's End Restaurant, Cafe & Bar along with myself, chef Spike Waltzer. I will be returning to Koh Phangan at Christmas and will be cooking along with our daytime cook and server, Tio. We thank you and appreciate your continued support.

The World's End

i used to eat at the world end for breskfaast, as the brekky was good.. however they need to learn from a coffee barista on how to make coffee

its all about expresso shots, mixed with hot water... not a bloody cafeteri...

glad you like our breakfasts, macleod 101. sorry you didn't like the filter coffee :o

this season we will have espresso coffees (we know how to make coffee but the expense of a commercial espresso machine for a new small business is prohibitive).

i will be back on the island from december 23rd.

expect lots of new items on the menu, more varied music and new art...

thanks, spike (the chef/partner-owner)

The World's End

i used to eat at the world end for breskfaast, as the brekky was good.. however they need to learn from a coffee barista on how to make coffee

its all about expresso shots, mixed with hot water... not a bloody cafeteri...

• 2 weeks later...
Last night I was in Had Rin and heard a rumour about a great Italian hidden away. After a bit of traipsing we came to Pinos pizzaria behind Tommy's Resort. We had the best pizza either me or my friend have ever had outside Italy....period. And 180 baht each too.

Having tried Pino's pizza several times now, IMO it is definitely the new standard for KPG. Well-made delicious pizza with real Italian mozzarella cheese and tasty herbs - highly recommended.

Also went to Xmas Eve dinner at M'e'nu for their fabulous four-course dinner, and found their delicious gourmet servings better than ever. Looking forward to their special seven-course dinner on New Year's Eve - I believe there are still plenty of seats available for that night.

Five-star dinning with a great atmosphere puts M'e'nu at the very top of my dining list in KPG - very much recommended!

jose '-)

people, these is realy a great pizza and a nice small place to be, I was there in the summer time.

Also the pizza in Casablanca is as it would be somewhere in italy. Just those stupid american soaps running all the time are kinde of strange.

• 3 weeks later...

As a self professed gourmand, I would have to agree

1. Me'nu has the best presented, most articulated flavored meals on the island. Some laborers complain about portion size but with good food I don't see that being the issue.

2. I regularly go once a week to Pizza Chiara and have cheap wine and a quatra fromage pizza. Best on the island.

3. Pasta Carbonara at the italian restaurant in Bantai just past 7/11 is simply the best I have had anywhere.

4. Fish and chips at Mason's arms are like they are back home.

5. Roast Sunday lunch/dinner at John the Piemans new place just 50m further up the road on the same side from Masons is great tastes, great value and ample portions that even he wouldn't complain about. Has all the trimmings and a variety of deserts, apple crumble, choc mousse, creme caramel etc. Does good blackboard menu for the rest of the week.

6. Tranquil also does a great and abundant Sunday roast.

7. Peppercorn does a great steak.

8. Milky Bay has a good atmosphere and does great pizza if the oven is fired up. The regano used to be to die for but I believe there is a shortage of blue cheese so no longer on the menu. Demand might bring it back

9. Simpler, well proportioned and tasty fare I suggest A's in Thong Sala, Yellow Caf or even Becks Beer Bar.

10. Indian, and I am not a big curry eater but always enjoy Ohm Ghanesh in Haad Rin if I can be bother driving that far.

I had a Pizza with friends at the new "Angel Bay" in Hinkong (Beach street towards Had Yao, shortly before "menu" restaurant) at the beach. Made in a wooden fire oven. Very thin and crispy, beautiful italien Pizza. Even the nice couple there seemed to be french people. We enjoyed a great dark red sunset. It is a very nice place to stay. I just missed the spicy chilly's in olive oil. Nobody seems to ask for that, i'm wondering why?

There was even a "Vernissage" few weeks ago. You find pictures under "www.phangan-guide.com" a french site of koh phangan, also very nice made. It is not my one :o

ham

p.s. forgot to make a picture of the pizza.....next time