Do you miss the food from the old country?

yes, I missed the food from the old countries.

then, I went back to the old countries and tried the food that used to be "cheap as chips".

that food that is still "cheap as chips" is <deleted>e now.

if prepared correctly, the good food that used to be "cheap as chips" is now freaking expensive !

1 hour ago, worgeordie said:

Use by Date: 01/01/2019 (Dates may vary but all products are fresh and have a long sell by date) and price ฿ 1,597.20 a tin !

Thanks but old stock and way over priced 

regards worgeordie

Yep, I wouldn't buy at that price either - just pointing out that it is available in Thailand.

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I am more interested in the fact that Thailand chicken and pork tastes better than my home country - at a significantly lower price,.

...unless it's a Chicken Balti from Anam's in Skelmersdale or an original Melton Mowbray pork pie.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, RayWright said:

Proper Fish and Chips, with the chips cooked in beef dripping.

They don't even do that in Merrye Olde Englande any more.

But you're right, and wrapped up in printed newsprint.

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I do miss certain foods from "back home" but many even most of them are satisfied here (Pattaya).

Specifically --

Mexican dishes such as chile relleno, chicken dark mole, pozole

Ethiopian

Vietnamese Pho (sold here but not good)

I missed those flavours (Mexican) so I've started to learn how to make my own.

Pho here so far has been very ordinary.

Tried convincing Uncle to build an outdoor wood fired pizza oven, no, but now he's considering building a smoker. Spent hours on YT after I showed him.

Last year I showed them a small Hangi pit, that thing made the best tasting pork and chicken, even the old Aunty's were impressed... for about 5 minutes,

and then they went back to calling me fat and stupid in Thai. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

venison sausages, served with peppered brie and mashed potatoes with a tiny infusion of truffle oil, served with the obligatory port and blackcurrant/blackberry sauce

Do you have a picture of that?

I need a new screensaver.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, retarius said:

Do I miss British food.....yes I do. I miss good pies and black puddings, I miss regional cheeses, I miss Sunday roasts sat around the table as a family, I miss smoked salmon and tinned red salmon, I miss decent hearty bread with no added sugar....would I like to live there again after 40 years away? Not a chance, high crime, terrible weather, horrible tattooed bald headed men and youths, ugly women, football fans.....a truly vile place. I don't even like visiting. 

You started off well, but there's so much more to a home visit than focusing on the things that annoy or upset you there.

11 hours ago, nikmar said:

I had a dream once that Greggs opened up a Bangkok branch. 

image.thumb.png.0acb035e4e78580037357c83e3627f97.png

Did that dream include the inexplicably slow queue to buy your favorite, microwaved, processed meat-filled 'pastry' product?

Yes, I'm not a fan and never got my head around the fascination for this city center, fast-food phenomenon, but anything that survived Covid has got to be good, right?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Tinnies make a pie that is edible.

Nobody else does !

Echoes of the infamous Udon Thani pie wars there. Thought there was something serious going on but found out one of the protagonists was an Aussie.

So, has Tinnies mastered the runny, mystery meat purée filling like a proper Four and Twenty?

4 hours ago, uttradit said:

Thailand has good steaks and burgers so no I don't miss western food much. The only things I miss are good choices in milk and cheese.

This burger from V8 Fastlane is near on perfection !

image.png.951f16b3e7069a94d7e94f60a5971fc8.png

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I do miss certain foods from "back home" but many even most of them are satisfied here (Pattaya).

Specifically --

Mexican dishes such as chile relleno, chicken dark mole, pozole

Ethiopian

Vietnamese Pho (sold here but not good)

Certainly agree re Vietnamese pho soup. had some that I pushed away but a few are totally authentic and totally delicious.

When I was a visiting lecturer in Ho Ch Minh City the support staff at the uni asked me if I had any favorite VN dishes that they could prepare for lunch / dinner breaks.  I indicated Pho soup. The staff brought in 3 offerings from different restaurants, all had a different taste, one was (for me) very very good, the soup had been skimmed multiple times to ensure it was very clear. And it had a large amount of sliced beef, I got that one (along with some side items) for every meal. Great!

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, hotandsticky said:
14 hours ago, Trippy said:

No I've gotten used to it, but it would be nice just to find an edible can of tuna, 555

....THAT is probably a challenge to far.........🙂

I find the Sealect Tuna Chunks in springwater quite palatable. Drain the springwater off and add some malt vinegar or Heinz salad cream to make a decent sarnie.

2 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Where?

I agree about the cheeses.

I do buy the occasional Brie or Camembert and Stilton, but my staple is Mainland Vintage cheese (aged for 24 months) from New Zealand, and I find the selection of cheeses here to be very good!

• Thanks 1

Beigel Bake in Brick Lane , Salt Beef Beigel with Gherkin and Mustard that make your eyes water , with a cup of Tea , so strong that you can stand your spoon up in.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 09.29.25.png

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Do you have a picture of that?

I need a new screensaver.

Thanks.

Sorry NanLaew, I don't as it was over 20 years ago and it was a dish created by one of Auckland's great chefs, so a very local dish......however I will sort through my old cuttings to see if I have got something.

9 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Beigel Bake in Brick Lane , Salt Beef Beigel with Gherkin and Mustard that make your eyes water , with a cup of Tea , so strong that you can stand your spoon up in.

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 09.29.25.png

I'm a frequent visitor when in London. I grab a couple of smoked salmon and cream cheese also. The shop you have shown is so much better than the "Beigel Shop" which is next door but one.

Below link might be of interest if you are hankering for a salt beef beigel whilst in Thailand. Haven't tried it myself yet though. Believe it's Pattaya based but offers postal service.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mcvko3hhranw2m/London Beigel and Salt Bar Menu November 2023.pdf?dl=0&utm_source=+Feb+2022+London+Beigel+and+Salt+beef+Bar+menu

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, connda said:

No.  But I do miss Mexican food.  But that ain't "the old country."

Actually it is for Americans but more like older country as a huge chunk of the US was previously Mexico. Americans buy more hot salsa than ketchup these days.

Edited by Jingthing

On 2/1/2024 at 12:51 AM, nikmar said:

My curiosity has gotten the better of me. How does an American Lasagne differ from an Italian lasagne?

Thats easy.

I never could stomach lasagne because I hate ricotta cheese.

Then I discovered Italian lasagne where the ricotta layer is a béchamel sauce.

Thats the key difference 

• Thanks 1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:30 PM, Chris Daley said:

How about you?  Do you miss the food from your country of origins?

I miss the food at Polish weddings.

There is probably nothing better in this world than food at Polish weddings.

Poland can be considered an old country?

Maybe, but not sure.