Do you miss the food from the old country?

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

unknown1.jpeg?w=584

I thought you were German. That's a Schokokuss, which is Danish.

If you want a proper Chocolate Tea Cake, then none finer than a Tunnocks. Made by Sir Boyd Tunnock since 1956, a Scottish shortbread base, a filling of Italian meringue and coated in a thin layer of chocolate. 

Screenshot_20240201-151224_Google.jpg.a9c6d9852409ceaeb063f2b8192f9308.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, RayWright said:

If you want a proper Chocolate Tea Cake, then none finer than a Tunnocks. Made by Sir Boyd Tunnock since 1956, a Scottish shortbread base, a filling of Italian meringue and coated in a thin layer of chocolate. 

No, what he put up had a distinctive shape of something I used to see regularly in German bakeries. They've probably changed the name, now, because it was a racially derogatory term. He would have been safer putting up something like Bienenstich, which is actually much, much better.

Can't quite believe it...     second page in already and no one has posted the comment..  "you travel all the way to Thailand for Western food"...     !!! :giggle:

In Bangkok there are loads excellent restaurants serving western food, so its easy to get a great variety of foods from all over the world here.... 

... BUT, as far as home cooking is concerned, a number of imported items are heavily overpriced which can dent the enjoyment somewhat.... 

The news about the Wine Tax decrease is welcomed, although I'll believe that when (IF) I see the prices come down to levels we see in Europe. 

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, RayWright said:

Wherever it comes from. I like these things and I saw them only very few times in Bangkok.

I think there is a lot of food which we consider to be "home food", but in reality, it originates in other countries. 

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Strange survey.....Italian food in Italy is pretty marvellous....Italian food outside of Italy is insipid and indifferent.

Any survey not putting Japanese food in the top two in the world, is mistaken, imho.

Belgian food is fantastic....do you really think the EU would put the HQ in Brussels if the food were not magnificent? 

Thai food rated so highly? Yuck it is inedible, imho. Thai's GDP per capita $20,000 US dollars? I think not. 

I went to Belgium last year and was quite disappointed with the food, even the famous fries have become tasteless since they banned the use of animal fat.

• Sad 1

Food is all a matter of taste.

Sure your mum was the best cook you have ever encountered in your life. Even when your best friends mum would cook the same dish, it would taste differently.

It's like people who can't live without Colman's mustard, while another one it has to be Amora or French.

So yes, most likely the pies you buy here will taste different from what you had all your life, but that doesn't mean they are less tasteful.

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Thanks but it's too far for me, 300 Km

That is obviously very sad for you.

I will make sure to each a couple of more pralines there next time I visit thinking about all the people who live up country. 😉 

11 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That is obviously very sad for you.

I will make sure to each a couple of more pralines there next time I visit thinking about all the people who live up country. 😉 

Thanks for the kind thought😁

It's one of my plus points for going away from Thailand but the freezing winter temperature prevents me from doing so, so no chocolate but summer all year near the beach round is a better exchange.🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BenStark said:

So yes, most likely the pies you buy here will taste different from what you had all your life, but that doesn't mean they are less tasteful.

Tinnies make a pie that is edible.

Nobody else does !

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Obviously not bad enough to force you back home.....

No I've gotten used to it, but it would be nice just to find an edible can of tuna, 555

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Food is all a matter of taste.

Sure your mum was the best cook you have ever encountered in your life

I liked the play on words with your "food is a matter of taste", however I have to firmly disagree with my mum being the best cook I've ever encountered, because she was the worst cook I had ever encountered – – burnt toast, cabbage boiled until it looked completely white, a piece of fatty meat cooked in the oven until it resembled a very small "something or another", complete with the string tied around it, resting on a bed of fat.

To add to that, she also managed to cook me an egg in Tepol washing up liquid, make a Mary Bakers sponge cake, which included Dettol in the icing, and finally managed to cook a Frey Bentos steak and kidney pie in the oven, with the lid still on, and of course the whole tin was horribly misshapen especially on the top because of the pressure buildup, and despite my shout, managed to pierce that dome, so the whole thing exploded like a Catherine wheel around the very small kitchen that we had, burning both of us just a little bit but making a mess on the wall and ceiling.

Plenty more to add, but don't want to take up to much more room.

PS. I do like cooking and eating Thai food and trying various recipes from around the world, and tomorrow I will be cooking Mole Chicken, whereas tonight it's a Chinese dish, Mabo Tofu (again).

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Long drive from me.

So "no".

I say your lack of broader experience makes your opinion worth Jack.

(You do understand that any decent producer can arrange delivery all over Thailand?)

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Use by Date: 01/01/2019 (Dates may vary but all products are fresh and have a long sell by date) and price ฿ 1,597.20 a tin !

Thanks but old stock and way over priced 

regards worgeordie

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I do miss certain foods from "back home" but many even most of them are satisfied here (Pattaya).

Specifically --

Mexican dishes such as chile relleno, chicken dark mole, pozole

Ethiopian

Vietnamese Pho (sold here but not good)

Go to Nong Khai or Nakhon Phanom if you want good Vietnamese food.