Is an older Android tablet still viable?

Kenny202

Looking for a cheap tablet mainly for the kids. They have broken one already so was thinking a cheapy / secondhand. Have seen them for around 1000-1500 baht in phone shops, pawn shops usually from 2016-2018 or so. I know from previous experience with apple quite often you run out of system updates as the model gets older and can't get past a certain system update. Then many apps become unavailable as they will only run on newer system versions. Was just wondering if Android any different, particularly a model from 8 or so years ago. They aren't playing heavy online games or anything so not looking for hot graphics / performance etc. Just a bit of surfing, you tube and a few games.

Other issue is many of these older Tablets, (and I may be talking shet here) will be running 3 / 4G? Or is 3, 4, 5G to do with phone service not internet? The Tablet wont have nor do we need a sim card.

We actually have 4G and 5G on our router at home. Our CCTV nest / wifi cameras apparently will only connect to 4G. Do the providers here plan to cut services for older 3G 4G devices anytime soon? I got a message from my Australian provider a month ago saying the old phone I use with my Australian Sim will no longer work with my Sim card as of this month.

Any advice appreciated. 

Don't. Fobbing kids off on tablets instead of being involved in their lives and getting them involved in yours, isn't doing society any favors no matter how many billions various governments and regulators fine Zuckerberg and those of that ilk.

Of course, if you already have a regimen of prescribed maximum daily use for the kids with reasonable and agreed limits on their tablet time, I am sure someone will post advice shortly on what minimum version of android they should be looking at and the cost.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Don't. Fobbing kids off on tablets instead of being involved in their lives and getting them involved in yours, isn't doing society any favors no matter how many billions various governments and regulators fine Zuckerberg and those of that ilk.

Of course, if you already have a regimen of prescribed maximum daily use for the kids with reasonable and agreed limits on their tablet time, I am sure someone will post advice shortly on what minimum version of android they should be looking at and the cost.

All types of computer equipment is crucial for kids.

The more the better.

This does not mean that they should not also be reading books they can hold in their hands, and learn to love, however....

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Should be fine for your purpose, will die before they no longer run the basic apps, no worries there. They all have WiFi. Older, cheap tablets on Lazada in your price range run Android 10 at least, some upgradable to 12. Read the reviews, check vendor's rep. Chat w/ vendor about the actual RAM. Have a look at Samsung Tab A7 Lites or Xiaomi, e. g., https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tablet-xiaomi-pad6-ram12g-rom512g-101-andorid-100-tablet-10-core-i5043877527-s21326995543.html  Suggestions on that page as well.

Edited by BigStar
  • Agree 2

On 2/2/2024 at 11:33 AM, BigStar said:

Should be fine for your purpose, will die before they no longer run the basic apps, no worries there. They all have WiFi. Older, cheap tablets on Lazada in your price range run Android 10 at least, some upgradable to 12. Read the reviews, check vendor's rep. Chat w/ vendor about the actual RAM. Have a look at Samsung Tab A7 Lites or Xiaomi, e. g., https://www.lazada.co.th/products/tablet-xiaomi-pad6-ram12g-rom512g-101-andorid-100-tablet-10-core-i5043877527-s21326995543.html  Suggestions on that page as well.

Do you actually believe that is a genuine advertisement? 👀

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/2/2024 at 6:16 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The older tablets will be able to use wifi, maybe have sim also, the problem is battery, often poor so only useful for round the home. I had one recently a couple years old, battery died, couldn't even plug in and use

One of the things I love about Thailand is how cheap it is to have someone tear into my smartphones and tablets to swap in a new battery.  Or the bane of my usage, a new micro USB or USB-C socket, because mine always corrode.   Back home the cost of labor alone would send me out to buy a new one.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:18 PM, Kenny202 said:

Looking for a cheap tablet mainly for the kids. They have broken one already so was thinking a cheapy / secondhand. Have seen them for around 1000-1500 baht in phone shops, pawn shops usually from 2016-2018 or so. I know from previous experience with apple quite often you run out of system updates as the model gets older and can't get past a certain system update. Then many apps become unavailable as they will only run on newer system versions. Was just wondering if Android any different, particularly a model from 8 or so years ago. They aren't playing heavy online games or anything so not looking for hot graphics / performance etc. Just a bit of surfing, you tube and a few games.

Other issue is many of these older Tablets, (and I may be talking shet here) will be running 3 / 4G? Or is 3, 4, 5G to do with phone service not internet? The Tablet wont have nor do we need a sim card.

We actually have 4G and 5G on our router at home. Our CCTV nest / wifi cameras apparently will only connect to 4G. Do the providers here plan to cut services for older 3G 4G devices anytime soon? I got a message from my Australian provider a month ago saying the old phone I use with my Australian Sim will no longer work with my Sim card as of this month.

Any advice appreciated. 

Don’t waste your money on old rubbish. Have you actually tested a pawn shop tablet or are you planning to test it AFTER you buy it?
You don’t have 3G/4G on your router unless you can put a SIM card within. 
So likely you mean 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Completely different. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, NextG said:

Definitely some poetry there. However, might well be good 'nuff. OP might give a try and return it if not. I have a cheap old tablet that works fine for similar limited purposes, e. g., surfing, chatting, Bolt, watching vids, and reading. If it or my cheap laptop is stolen, no sweat, bye bye. Meanwhile, you weren't in the least helpful. 🙂 

Edited by BigStar

53 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I do now because I received it today....Do you know the answer to my questions or you are just bored and have nothing to do?

Please let us know how it goes, then.

36 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Definitely some poetry there. However, might well be good 'nuff. OP might give a try and return it if not. I have a cheap old tablet that works fine for similar limited purposes, e. g., surfing, chatting, Bolt, watching vids, and reading. If it or my cheap laptop is stolen, no sweat, bye bye. Meanwhile, you weren't in the least helpful. 🙂 

You seem a bit grumpy. Angry at me for pointing out that those specs/description couldn’t ever be genuine?

Pointing someone, who obviously needs good guidance, to dishonestly specified tablet might be regarded as not being helpful, other than to those selling the tablets. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

I do now because I received it today....Do you know the answer to my questions or you are just bored and have nothing to do?

Wow… attacking the people helping you. Best to leave you to it then. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

54 minutes ago, BigStar said:

If you have experience of the tablets to which you linked and you think they will be adequate to the task, I can understand why you would make the suggestion. 
My perspective was that the OP might actually believe the headline specs. 
But if the product suits his needs and he’s happy at the price, there’s no argument from me. 

14 hours ago, NextG said:

You don’t have 3G/4G on your router unless you can put a SIM card within. 
So likely you mean 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Completely different. 

If the OP doesn't know that, then telling him he is wrong, without explaining why, really helps!

Especially when he is asking for advice.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

If the OP doesn't know that, then telling him he is wrong, without explaining why, really helps!

Especially when he is asking for advice.

I explained why. It seems that it’s you who doesn’t understand. 

• Confused 2

We have two Lenovo tablets purchased 2017, 10" and 7". 

Still going strong, the 10" needed a new battery last year cost 400b for supply and fit, and 200b for replacement charger port at same time. It's had more use, took it with me when I was regularly working offshore rather than the bulk of the laptop.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NextG said:

You seem a bit grumpy. Angry at me for pointing out that those specs/description couldn’t ever be genuine?

Pointing someone, who obviously needs good guidance, to dishonestly specified tablet might be regarded as not being helpful, other than to those selling the tablets. 

Not at all, seems you're grumpy for my pointing out the time-wasting of your response re: the OP's request, as you've continued to waste time bickering, as is your wont. If you were really concerned about "good guidance," you should have pointed him to tablets that you think meet his requirements in the first place.

Now in my post, I suggested the OP might have a chat with the vendor AND I pointed out a particular alternative AND mentioned others on the same page. And that was a good start after the OP had received nothing else remotely useful. All that 3G/4G, a fave subject, is irrelevant: that tablet WILL use the OP's WiFi.

Specs often contain inaccuracies, esp. at lower price tiers, but the products remain viable. This one has good reviews and the vendor has a good rating. (FAKE! FAKE!) If not, just send them back, YAWN. Yes, I've had experience with exactly that situation, including specifically with a product you've sneered at previously that I used for years. It's still good; I changed it only for higher res. I pay little attention to our experts here and Big Spenders. An imperfect solution is better than no solution. Meanwhile, OP and kids are enjoying their new tablet.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Alidiver said:

I have an old tablet at home. Had to replace it as the hardware was out of date and wouldn't update or load new apps. 

This is a point. In some cases it must be taken seriously, e. g., banking apps. But, contrary to the views of our hi tech members living on the very cutting edge of technology, it doesn't reflect an absolute rule. If the old apps work fine, you can simply continue using them. Or you can simply change to another newer app in the same category that does the same thing as the older app. It's highly unlikely your tablet will be hacked.

I don't do any banking on my old tablet--or phone, for that matter. I don't care if anything's updated, 'cause the apps I use all work fine. I might wish it would die, or a hotel maid would steal it, but then I'd have to spend time looking for another one in my preferred smaller size, ~8". Might have to bite bullet and get a larger one. 

Edited by BigStar

1 hour ago, NextG said:

..and to think that I credited you with at least a modest level of intelligence…

I even gave you an exit, by stating that if you had utilised such a thing and it worked for you…. but you still came out swinging. 

I didn't make that mistake in your case. Nor did I need any "exit." Fond delusion.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Older cheaper tablets running Android 10 at least….WRONG. 

You wish. Just a lot of hot air. Evidence?

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Chat with vendor about the actual RAM 🤭

Was that a joke? The whole thing is FAKE. If they vendor is knowingly selling faked products, he’s not going to suddenly start telling you the truth 🤭

You don't actually know that, it just sounds good in your mind. Even so, to me it looks good enough to try, and I would, w/ option to send it back if found unsatisfactory. Nobody cares if you disagree. Besides, that was merely one example of cheaper tablets the OP might look at for himself. In the meantime, you suggested: none! 🙂 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

No… they are exactly the same fake tablet but with different fake advertising. 

Everyone has the option to take your word for that. 🙂

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I’m not referring to the advertising but what is actually shown via the GUI. All faked. 

The GUI is part of the advertising, and marketers do that. You haven't seen the actual GUI, dunno what it looks like. Just more hot air. If OP doesn't like the GUI, he can send it back. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

You think that I should have stayed silent

I don't think about you at all, actually.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Lastly, your little ‘dig’ with regard to 3G/4G and the suggestion that I was not helpful.

Are you grumpy again that I pointed out your irrelevancy? OP's worry was about his tablet and 3G/4G. Other issue is many of these older Tablets, (and I may be talking shet here) will be running 3 / 4G? Not an issue as he clearly stated he'd be using wireless. No real need to jump in and expound brilliantly on one of your fave topics, but that was all you had to feel important.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

For my troubles, I get attacked by the class  🤡 neither of whom understand the subject they are discussing.

Since you introduced confusion unnecessarily, you brought it on yourself, snowflake.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

If you had written that the specs were totally fake, but you’ve tried one and it does the basics, we wouldn’t

have had any kind of discussion. 

But you didn't try one and discover that it's fake or to what extent. Again, if the OP finds it doesn't meet specs sufficiently, he may return it. Were all the good reviews fake? Probably not, I'd say, having found them pretty valid for countless products in the past, but you may know. 🙂 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

The reason why I didn’t link to a tablet is obvious, I know that they have modified firmware that faked the specs and I could not in good faith recommend it to the OP. 

Just blowing smoke. Lazada has a LOT of tablets. Amazon does also. No, you can't know they ALL have modified firmware and so can't recommend any, laughable. 🤣

I think, and usually rightly in such cases, you may need help very soon to exit another of your usual excusing and bickering loops.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 10:06 PM, BigStar said:

Please let us know how it goes, then.

So far very very good, but my needs are few. Basic camera and RAM but plenty for what we will be using it for. This one only a few years old so no dramas except it is a Huawei and you have to use a third party app to use Playstore. I guess the US / Google wanted to be the only ones tracking everyone else's information. Its quite basic but for what I need more than ample. The reason for my post is the wife has an Apple Ipad which is basically no longer usable as the system is limited to older updates and many newer apps will no longer run. I read recently Apple have been building planned obsolescence into their products, not only by only supporting them for a finite period but building something into the system where they start slowing down over a period of time. Apparently a class action has been won against them? In any case I love Apple products but I don't love the whole Itunes store thing. If I buy a product I want to own it, not have someone else own me. I am quite fond of Huawei products. Get an awful lot for your money in no part due I guess due to they lost their US market overnight.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, alanrchase said:

You can buy new 10 inch tablets on Lazada for about 1,000 baht. I doubt they are anything special but probably fine for your kids to play with.

sorry disagree ....  these are junk ... they have very low specs and the Android version won't accept many download apps.  I have a 2023 here now that was 2400 baht and I can't even log into WiFi without getting an error.  Can't download LINE app,  can hardly do anything,  they are next to useless.

Don't waste your money Kenny ...  you'll regret it  !     imo

In the Samsung shop they have or had a new tablet for 7000 baht special offer, my old tablet just completely died on me, they couldn't fix it, first they tried a new battery, that didn't help, it would have cost almost 4000 baht to replace something in it, 

Was annoying as it was in almost perfect condition never been dropped I dont play games on it, 

Android Oreo is going to be the next cutoff for newer apps soon. The previous cutoff OS version was generally KitKat.

Brand name tablets generally keep up with security patches for up to 3 years. You may like to have a look at the Lenovo M10 version 3 tablet. I received one free from Lenovo with another purchase and suprisingly it isn't terrible. Support for OS to 2027 from memory. Often on sale. Also check specs, many different versions with differing RAM and ROM.

On 2/5/2024 at 4:37 PM, NextG said:

I was almost convinced until I read that it ran off a 3v battery.