Is an older Android tablet still viable?

Kenny202

Don't waste your money on the cheap fakes, I bought one on Lazada just as a bit of fun to try it out. Wasn't intending to return if it worked to some degree, was happy to swallow the cost, however it was completely useless so sent it back.

I've bought Lenovo M8s for both my kids when they were younger- worked a treat for their needs. Somewhere in the region of 4000 THB if memory serves me correct.

• Agree 2

On 2/2/2024 at 12:07 AM, NanLaew said:

Don't. Fobbing kids off on tablets instead of being involved in their lives and getting them involved in yours, isn't doing society any favors no matter how many billions various governments and regulators fine Zuckerberg and those of that ilk.

Of course, if you already have a regimen of prescribed maximum daily use for the kids with reasonable and agreed limits on their tablet time, I am sure someone will post advice shortly on what minimum version of android they should be looking at and the cost.

I totally agree, don't alienate your kids from the way life is in 2024. 

On 2/1/2024 at 9:18 PM, Kenny202 said:

Looking for a cheap tablet mainly for the kids. They have broken one already so was thinking a cheapy / secondhand. Have seen them for around 1000-1500 baht in phone shops, pawn shops usually from 2016-2018 or so. I know from previous experience with apple quite often you run out of system updates as the model gets older and can't get past a certain system update. Then many apps become unavailable as they will only run on newer system versions. Was just wondering if Android any different, particularly a model from 8 or so years ago. They aren't playing heavy online games or anything so not looking for hot graphics / performance etc. Just a bit of surfing, you tube and a few games.

Other issue is many of these older Tablets, (and I may be talking shet here) will be running 3 / 4G? Or is 3, 4, 5G to do with phone service not internet? The Tablet wont have nor do we need a sim card.

We actually have 4G and 5G on our router at home. Our CCTV nest / wifi cameras apparently will only connect to 4G. Do the providers here plan to cut services for older 3G 4G devices anytime soon? I got a message from my Australian provider a month ago saying the old phone I use with my Australian Sim will no longer work with my Sim card as of this month.

Any advice appreciated. 

On 2/5/2024 at 5:05 PM, NextG said:

Don’t waste your money on old rubbish. Have you actually tested a pawn shop tablet or are you planning to test it AFTER you buy it?
You don’t have 3G/4G on your router unless you can put a SIM card within. 
So likely you mean 2.4GHz & 5GHz. Completely different.

Perhaps you didn’t understand this reply in the first instance. 
“Don’t waste your money on old rubbish” referred to ‘Tablets from 2016-2018 in pawn shops’. 
I also attempted to alert you to the Tablets recommended by @BigStar as being of fraudulent description and specification. 
The three year old Huawei tablet that you mentioned much later was not included in that description. 
Perhaps you imagined that I was denigrating the amount that you wanted to spend. I did no such thing at any time. My comments were limited to function. 

Similarly, you mentioned your having 4G/5G on your router and were concerned that 4G might be deprecated at some point, rendering your cameras useless. I assured you that you likely don’t have a 4G/5G router in the first place and so your ideas and fears for the connectivity of your camera system were unfounded. 

I kept it short and sweet, without over complicated explanations. Seems it was too short and sweet for you.