Changing your passport number on a Thai driving licence

I got a new passport a few years back and didn't bother updating my drivers license, of course I went a week after my birthday to get a full 6 years and I'm not going back to that place any time soon.

Hopefully the miserable witch who seems to run it will be retired by then.

When I renewed my passport I went to Land Transport and changed my drivers licenses for car and motorbike.  While it may have been unnecessary I made the decision to have all documents correct.  Probably not a issue in most situations but if there is a serious accident or something else it possibly could be used against you for not being in compliance.  My preference is to avoid situations where the authorities have an opportunity to catch you in a non compliance situation.  Was worth it for peace of mind to me. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why ??....   Its still 'your' driving license... It has your Biometrics: Photo, Name, DOB... and also a unique driving license numnber.

Does your driving license from your home country have your passport number on it ?

You're right insofar as a control by police is concerned. It's you on the driving licence and you live in Thailand.

I'd be more worried about an overzealous car rental employee though. I've rented over ten times with my Thai driving license in Brussels with no problem. Once though the rental employee said "Thailand?? don't you have another driving license?". The way he said it suggested a Thai driving license was not a valid one. I pointed out I lived in Thailand and the license was in English.

The take-home point is that acceptance by the police is not equal acceptance by the rental agencies. That's why I have a good mind to go through the hassle of getting an international permit although legally I wouldn't need one.

I assume that in order to get an international permit and have the passport number updated, you need a certificate of residence again (two of them?).