Changing your passport number on a Thai driving licence

I got a new passport while in the UK last September. As soon as I arrived back to Pattaya in October I got the visas transferred from the old one and the new passport into the Immigration system. I also got it into the SCB banking system, and thought that was probably it. Now, though, someone has pointed out that both my driving licences have my old passport number on them and I should get it changed and new licences issued. There's still over 5 years validity left on the licences, so a long time to get caught out.

What is recommended, to update the licences with the new passport number or ignore it and hope nobody queries it? I must admit, in almost 20 years of driving here I don't recall the cops ever checking my licence with my passport details. Is it something important or is it just a cosmetic matter? If I change it, I assume they'll charge me the usual amount for replacement licences, are there any other costs for the service? Thanks for any insights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Just wait until your next renewal.

That was my initial thought, but with over 5 years left to run on it I'm wondering what the possible downsides or penalties might be if it became an issue.

17 minutes ago, Guderian said:
18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Just wait until your next renewal.

That was my initial thought, but with over 5 years left to run on it I'm wondering what the possible downsides or penalties might be if it became an issue.

The Driving License is still registered to you... with your name, your photo, your DOB, your Driving License Number etc...     there is no need to be concerned with whichever ID it is registered to - its still your Driving License.

The only time you may need to replace it is when you change address (theoretically) - none of this is seriously enforced or has any impact whatsoever anyway.

This issue comes up from time to time when a DL is registered with Yellow House Book etc...  and then there may be comments that it cannot be used outside of the province to which is it also registered (Pink ID is not valid outside of province) - but that doesn't matter... the DL is still registered to that person (who carries legal ID to travel in all areas of Thailand).

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Colbrit said:

It could be an issue if you are involved in a serious accident,  best to check again with the DLT, then rest easy

Yes, that's what concerns me, nobody wants to waste half a day on paperwork at the local Land Transport Office if you can possibly avoid it.

OTOH, I have photos on the old and new passports on my phone, so in the event of something bad happening I could provide a complete "trail of evidence". 

Unless it's one of those things that carries an odd Thai penalty, like a fine of 5,000 Baht and/or 6 years in prison. <rolleyes>

I got that surprise a couple of weeks ago when getting an IDP issued at my provincial capital LTO. I was unaware of the need for it to be updated. Anyway they seemed to graciously add the extra activity and for 55 baht (I think) I got an updated 5 year license and within twenty minutes got the IDP issued for 505 baht. (For those wondering...my Australian license expired just before COVID and I couldn't renew. I can renew anytime within 5 years of expiry and am doing so next month in Aus.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thpitsch said:

Some time ago, when I posted an item at the post office and had to show an ID, I used my driver's license. However, it was rejected because the old passport number was still entered there. This shows that even the post office checks for a current passport based on the number. Later, with an updated driver's license, there were no more problems at the post office.

Yes I also use at Big C Extra when they offer extra discount and need to see ID.

Personally unless you are continually busy or it is difficult to get to the DLT I would change especially with such a long period of validity left - but that's just me.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

I got a new passport while in the UK last September. As soon as I arrived back to Pattaya in October I got the visas transferred from the old one and the new passport into the Immigration system. I also got it into the SCB banking system, and thought that was probably it. Now, though, someone has pointed out that both my driving licences have my old passport number on them and I should get it changed and new licences issued. There's still over 5 years validity left on the licences, so a long time to get caught out.

What is recommended, to update the licences with the new passport number or ignore it and hope nobody queries it? I must admit, in almost 20 years of driving here I don't recall the cops ever checking my licence with my passport details. Is it something important or is it just a cosmetic matter? If I change it, I assume they'll charge me the usual amount for replacement licences, are there any other costs for the service? Thanks for any insights.

So I was in a similar situation with about a year left on my license validity. I went to the DLT in Cha Am and inquired if I should get updated license with new PP and they replied "No don't bother now wait until next renewal" which I did with no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2024 at 9:41 AM, Guderian said:

To be safe: Head to the Landtransport Office with your DL, old- and new passport and get it changed.

In general. change everywhere your passport number is used, even a loyalty card to for example Central-stores, cannot be used for claiming points, if your present passport number don't fit the registered number in the card – I talk from experience – you need to show ID to claim benefits.

2 hours ago, thpitsch said:

Some time ago, when I posted an item at the post office and had to show an ID, I used my driver's license. However, it was rejected because the old passport number was still entered there. This shows that even the post office checks for a current passport based on the number. Later, with an updated driver's license, there were no more problems at the post office.

I have to ask. How did the Post Office know the PP number on DL was an old number?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:
2 hours ago, thpitsch said:

I have to ask. How did the Post Office know the PP number on DL was an old number?

He doesn't... but when language barriers exist and a problem occurs some people make assumptions and convince themselves that their interpretation of events is the right one... 

33 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

After entry into the computer used to record the posting. So there is a connection to the database in which we are all recorded.

On 2/5/2024 at 3:41 PM, Guderian said:

Your Yank Cousin here. Been here 13 years so, new US Passport and new number. Did not address the change of Passport number (2021) until I just went for my new 5 year Driver Licenses (MB and Car). The only thing that came up was the renewal officer sent me to bring her copies of the page in my old Passport noting the change to a new Passport number (might have been noted on a 90 Day Report). Anyway, never experienced being asked for Passport on any Chiang Mai road Police Checks. They just looked at the valid License and sent me on my way.

1 hour ago, thpitsch said:

After entry into the computer used to record the posting. So there is a connection to the database in which we are all recorded.

OK I never would have guessed.

It could only be an issue if you drive with your Thai driving license outside Thailand. In that case carrying your old (cancelled) passport or copies of it should put you on the right side of the law.

I got my 5-year renewal in Thailand through a Pattaya agency. I pointed out the fact that the passport number on the new 5-year driving license would soon no longer match my passport as the latter would soon expire. The agency man shrugged his shoulders and said not to worry about that.

• Like 1

Just now, JackGats said:

It could only be an issue if you drive with your Thai driving license outside Thailand. In that case carrying your old (cancelled) passport or copies of it should put you on the right side of the law.

Why ??....   Its still 'your' driving license... It has your Biometrics: Photo, Name, DOB... and also a unique driving license numnber.

Does your driving license from your home country have your passport number on it ?

Just now, JackGats said:

I got my 5-year renewal in Thailand through a Pattaya agency. I pointed out the fact that the passport number on the new 5-year driving license would soon no longer match my passport as the latter would soon expire. The agency man shrugged his shoulders and said not to worry about that.

Agree with the 'not to worry about it'.....    Definitely a case of 'farang think too much' about this specific 'passport number in the driving license' discussion... 

6 hours ago, thpitsch said:

You are suggesting the Thai post office has access to a database that confirms the walk-in foreigners current passport number as logged by immigration? Otherwise, how did they know that your TDL had an old passport number on it?

Asked and answered. That is scary IMHO. The bloody Post Office has these details? I know that around the time of Covid, they started rolling out ATM's that had a slot for Thai ID cards for approval of certain transactions and I am sure that's also the database that Big C uses for their locals.

It's a bit off if they have started tracking us by where he carry out transactions. Makes the current 'assessable tax' hue and cry all rather pointless already.

Edited by NanLaew

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

A very, very good point. I use my TDL for UK car rentals, using the same off-airport branch that knows me, and my Thai DL number does NOT match the passport that they require as primary ID. I think I may get my TDL updated to match as it may only take an eagle-eyed new employee or an internal audit of procedures to result in a future rental being denied. More worried about that than any bobby from Z-cars throwing a wobbly on the M6.

Thanks!

Edited by NanLaew

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

A very, very good point. I use my TDL for UK car rentals, using the same off-airport branch that knows me, and my Thai DL number does NOT match the passport that they require as primary ID. I think I may get my TDL updated to match as it may only take an eagle-eyed new employee or an internal audit of procedures to result in a future rental being denied. More worried about that than any bobby from Z-cars throwing a wobbly on the M6.

Thanks!

Does your UK license have your Passport number on it ???

I'm wondering how a passport number or national ID number could have any relevance on a driving license whatsoever.... 

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Does your UK licence have your Passport number on it ???

No it doesn't.

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm wondering how a passport number or national ID number could have any relevance on a driving license whatsoever.... 

Then you would need to ask the Thai authorities why they feel that needs to be the case on a Thai DL.

But, as a foreign driving entitlement being offered as valid proof of having an acceptable driving entitlement from the foreign country you are from, maybe having the licence number linked to the holder by more than just the picture is no more than a cross-check on its validity and/or legality?

I could offer my valid UK driving licence that doesn't have my passport number but, as a non-resident of the UK, I would need to provide at least two more items of identification that, as a UK non-resident, I don't have. It's also illegal to use your valid UK driving license while driving in the UK if you are no longer a UK resident.

Edited by NanLaew