Aussie Muay Thai boxer’s career on the ropes after Koh Samui road knockout

snoop1130

Travel insurance not paying for bike accidents is common but where I am confused is why other party insurance is not paying ?

my car policy covers other party medical up to 2 million , 

if other party had no insurance then it is his/her problem to cover the medical , no?

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Or just do the sensible thing and refrain from riding motorcycles full stop.

15 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

The promising career of a talented Aussie Muay Thai boxer is on the ropes after a devastating knockout by a man driving on the wrong side of the road while riding his scooter on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand. In

Shouldn't the driver who was breaking the law have to pay? What about his insurance? Did he have any? If not he should be held accountable for the medical expenses. If it was the other way round the foreigner would have to foot the bill and still go to the monkey house.

• Confused 2

My heart goes out to the guy because it looks like he's in for a long road to recovery.

And without any judgment about his choices, his experience can serve as a good data point about the dangers of scooters in Thailand (especially for those unaccustomed to Thai driving habits) and the chances that travel insurance won't cover scooter injuries. 

And that locals can't be counted on to have enough insurance or funds, either.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So why isn't the offending riders insurance not covering this accident???

Or is this just another case of "you're a foreigner screw you" ??

Por-o-bor insurance is peanuts, he has probably already had that. If the other rider didn't have any other insurance, then all the lad can do is negotiate with the cops, however if the lad didn't have a license  then the cops will view him as being illegal on the road. Has nothing to do with being a foreigner, if you are legally allowed on the roads then the cops will negotiate for payments to be made. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

So what you are saying he should be like most boring old farts and sit in front of the computer all day being miserable. 

I've been riding since the age of 10, not a better experience in this world than riding my motorbikes 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

All one has to do is learn to drive defensively and watch carefully for any impending danger. 99% of accidents can be avoided if you are highly aware of what is going on in 360% around you. For example, if I have a green light going through an intersection I expect someone may run the red light and cut in front of me and I'm prepared to evade. Anyone who is not experienced on these motorbikes should not drive them. I've ridden bikes for many decades, never an accident other than a guy bumping me from the rear at a stopped traffic light. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What is missing in this story? No mention of the third party driver who is at fault for causing these injuries. Surely the insurance of the guilty party driving on the wrong side of the road should be paying all the hospital bills. Or was the third party not insured? No mention if the third party driver was Thai or foreign, not that it really makes a difference, but could give a clue regarding their insurance status. Compulsory insurance is required for all motor vehicles. What coverage is being claimed from the other driver and their insurance. If Australia (or any wetsern country) a claim against the other driver would be made in cases such as this. 

Surely you're not expecting a thoroughly researched and written story? Not exactly the standard here. 

• Haha 1

There is a reason, why Thailand has the most careless drivers on the planet. I see every day, every minute at least 5 traffic violations. 

Because the Thai police doesn't really enforce the traffic laws.

e.g.

1. How many people do not wear helmets? Millions.

The punishment is 2000 Baht, but not enforced.

2. Driving with the motorcycle om the sidewalk.

The punishment is up to 5000 Baht, but not enforced.

3. Counterfloor driving.

The punishment is up to 5000 Baht, but not enforced.

4. Driving without legit driving license......

5. DUI.......

I could go on forever.

The sticter the traffic laws are enforced, less accidents would happen.

Thailand will never improve.

6 hours ago, spermwhale said:

I find it deplorable that a headline writer and editor would make fun of the man's injuries by using a play on words in the headline and lede sentence of this article. It's really really in bad taste. That kind of headline should not be on an article about someone's suffering. 

It's disgusting. I expect this kind of rubbish in the comments section from classless on this site, but not from a news source.

normal unprofetional journalists here...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Samui is a very dangerous place, if driving a scooter. If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

Many of us drive motorcycles or scooters here, and it is dangerous getting on the roads with some of these other drivers. Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding. And many foreigners come here thinking "how much trouble could I get in on a little scooter, on a tropical island"? Well, the answer is alot. The amount of foreigners who are killed on the Southern islands is staggering. Most are not reported in the media. I had a friend who worked for Samui rescue for many years, and said the numbers were about 30-60 a month, on Samui, Phangan and Koh Tao. The official number is about 3 a month. Rider beware. Use as good a helmet as you can afford, and do not use these eggshells pieces of crap. They crack at the first impact, and what lies underneath them? Your skull, which is very delicate.

I have been riding bikes for 49 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. 

I was told by a very reliable source, who worked for Samui rescue for years. He did not have an agenda. He rescued alot of the survivors. He attended to alot of the ones who did not make it. The press here is highly censored. The report only what the so called leaders want them to report. Nothing else. Social media? Why would social media report these statistics? They report individual accidents, but not overall statistics. Anything you read about accidents on Samui in the media would be false.
• Road deaths are now calculated based on fatalities on-site. Victims dying later in hospital not counted.
• In 2000 there was an average of 30 deaths a month on Koh Samui (official figures released each month).
• Now it is stated that Koh Samui has 3-5 deaths each month (using the new way of reporting road deaths).
• In the last ten years the population has almost doubled and there are now 5x more vehicles on Koh Samui.
• Based on ‘official figures’ today it is possible to estimate that Koh Samui currently has 60 deaths per million per year. (Compared to 23 in London.) Based on the population and traffic density statistics from 10 years ago Koh Samui has in reality 720 deaths per million per year. This is probably the highest rate of road deaths in the world. Samui is a fatality death spot that nobody is willing to acknowledge!

6 hours ago, Robbkk said:

Those things are not the same. Everybody who rides motorbikes in Thailand shatter some bones sooner or later.

17 years to date with no bone shattering.

when will it occur ?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

In keeping with the trend, his insurance company declared that the aspiring martial arts fighter was not covered for the accident.

Well now this isn't right .he's not at fault he got hit by some moron going the wrong way.

That persons Insurance must pay If not the person at fault must pay.

Why would the hospital want him to pay? absolutely stupid ,Just Don't Pay.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Well now this isn't right .he's not at fault he got hit by some moron going the wrong way.

That persons Insurance must pay If not the person at fault must pay.

Why would the hospital want him to pay? absolutely stupid ,Just Don't Pay.

Many Thais don't have insurance at all, and also driving unregistered motorbikes without a licence. Expecting payments from them is not realistic.

The Aussie insurance companies won't deny payment without solid justification. Usually in these "news articles" there is no mentioning of the exact reason why coverage was refused. If he had motorbike coverage and complied with the policy rules they can't refuse payment, even if he is at fault.

8 hours ago, spermwhale said:

I find it deplorable that a headline writer and editor would make fun of the man's injuries by using a play on words in the headline and lede sentence of this article. It's really really in bad taste. That kind of headline should not be on an article about someone's suffering. 

It's disgusting. I expect this kind of rubbish in the comments section from classless on this site, but not from a news source.

100% agreed - as mentioned a couple of times in previous threads - this media outlet is shockingly poor, its more like Satire without the humour - for its own credibility, AN should stop linking to Thaiger.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

by a man driving on the wrong side of the road while riding his scooter on the island of Koh Samui in Thailand

As others point out - whats being done about this ? someone driving illegally causing devastating injuries... Are they not accountable for medical costs and compensation ???

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Despite having travel insurance, Kirk’s hopes were dashed when the company declined to cover his medical bills, citing a lack of coverage for motorcycle injuries of this nature.

Yet again - the only surprise here is no 'go fund me' has been set up (yet).

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

If he had motorbike coverage and complied with the policy rules they can't refuse payment, even if he is at fault.

I'd imagine his insurance refused his claim because he was unlicensed to legally ride a motorcycle, as are most tourists. 

But I also agree, that its wrong that he should be out of pocket for something that is entirely someone else's fault. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So why isn't the offending riders insurance not covering this accident???

Or is this just another case of "you're a foreigner screw you" ??

Another case?   Which other cases have resulted in the response, "You're a foreigner, screw you"?  Or was your comment just another case of nonsense?

7 hours ago, rwill said:

And yes as has been mentioned the titles on a lot of the Thaiger linked articles are pretty rediculous.  But that is Thaiger writers doing it.  AN is just copying their articles.

They're not doing anything "rediculous"...what ever that is.

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What is missing in this story? No mention of the third party driver who is at fault for causing these injuries. Surely the insurance of the guilty party driving on the wrong side of the road should be paying all the hospital bills. Or was the third party not insured? No mention if the third party driver was Thai or foreign, not that it really makes a difference, but could give a clue regarding their insurance status. Compulsory insurance is required for all motor vehicles. What coverage is being claimed from the other driver and their insurance. If Australia (or any wetsern country) a claim against the other driver would be made in cases such as this. 

I think you will find in Thailand scooters small motor bikes do not require added insurance as they are supposed to be covered 3rd party with their road tax. Even if you want it you will get blank stares.

7 hours ago, Ironmike said:

This is one of so many stories here I have read about these insurance companies leaving people in the crap but never a mention of the names of these companies why not???? If I was travelling and needed insurance I wouldn't be giving any money to them if I have read bad news about them,,, why not shame them

Why should the press have ago at insurers who do not pay out for expenses that were not insured under the policy?  Nothing for the insurers to be ashamed about unless you can be more specific?

7 hours ago, Andyfez said:

how about keeping their own house clean by insisting motorbike rentals cover with good insurance.

Also, insisting that anyone with a vehicle has a reliable insurance cover.

They do, by law insurance is a requirement.  

Edited by Liverpool Lou