Aussie Muay Thai boxer’s career on the ropes after Koh Samui road knockout

snoop1130

6 hours ago, Lopburikid said:

If it was the other way round the foreigner would have to foot the bill and still go to the monkey house.

Nonsense.  Which foreigners have been sent to prison for accidents such as this one?   None, perhaps?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

3 hours ago, RobU said:

Second incident this week where the insurance company has refused payout. I wonder if it's the same insurance company in both cases

Second incident this week in which travellers have expected insurers to pay out for something that was never covered and for which they never paid.  What does it matter if it was the same insurer?

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why would the hospital want him to pay? absolutely stupid ,Just Don't Pay.

Because he was treated in a private hospital that does not have the obligation to get payment from anyone other than the person who was treated.   

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'd imagine his insurance refused his claim because he was unlicensed to legally ride a motorcycle, as are most tourists. 

But I also agree, that its wrong that he should be out of pocket for something that is entirely someone else's fault. 

Agreed.  100%.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

What is missing in this story? No mention of the third party driver who is at fault for causing these injuries. Surely the insurance of the guilty party driving on the wrong side of the road should be paying all the hospital bills. Or was the third party not insured? No mention if the third party driver was Thai or foreign, not that it really makes a difference, but could give a clue regarding their insurance status. Compulsory insurance is required for all motor vehicles. What coverage is being claimed from the other driver and their insurance. If Australia (or any wetsern country) a claim against the other driver would be made in cases such as this.

Just so you – and others – know it: The mandatory motorbike insurance in Thailand covers 50,000 baht, which is literally nothing if you have serious injuries and are hospitalized in a private hospital. If there is no insurance, the part might be asked to pay 50,000 baht in compensation.

If the other driver has no funds to cover, it doesn't help you. A practise has often been that the party, who can afford it, is guilty; it's not the law, but someone has to pay the bills. This – the financial issue – might be cleared at a meeting with a high police officer, written in a book and signed by both parties. What they do in other countries has no value in Thailand, here it's only about how you do it in Thailand.

You really need to have a personal travel- or accident insurance that covers you, especially when riding a motorbike – please note that some insurances covers only scooters with small engines, smaller than normally used in Thailand, and other insurances doesn't cover motorbike ride at all both as driver and passenger – and in general be prepared for that in Thailand's traffic you are financially on your own, or covered only by your own insurance.

My information is primary from Samui, where I been living permanently for 18 years – and yes, I have had friends that was involved in traffic accidents. Both the big black book has been used, and financial cover when without guilt, and 50,000 baht from a guilty motorbike driver with outdated insurance.

• Thanks 2

Hospital insurance discredits Thailand.
Personally, it reminds me the story of a minor who has previously killed his father and now implores the judges for forgiveness.
There are few in number serious road accidents caused but the scams with the insurance medical mafia that have taken place in the past are many. Western "tourists" pretented traffic accidents and in collaboration with medical mafia reap the rewards.........

I stick on Britain nurce remarks :“I honestly have no idea what I would have done without her help. I will be forever grateful. She said to me that I have helped so many people in my life as a nurse that I needed to accept help when it’s given.”

Did you hear Thai Prime Minister Mr Srettha ? "Message received?".

You avoid after years in Thailand your junda but majority of people including EU States civilians suffer from medical mafia junda.

Source:

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/scottish-womans-cliff-plunge-in-thailand-sparks-insurance-debacle-scot-left-hanging?utm_source=Thaiger+Daily+EN&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2024-02-06

Edited by Paris333

21 hours ago, Ironmike said:

This is one of so many stories here I have read about these insurance companies leaving people in the crap but never a mention of the names of these companies why not???? If I was travelling and needed insurance I wouldn't be giving any money to them if I have read bad news about them,,, why not shame them

mention the insurance company and derogatory comments gets one in legal troubles here!

16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Nonsense.  Which foreigners have been sent to prison for accidents such as this one?   None, perhaps?

I know 2 One was imprisoned and had to pay 1 million IN CASH bail. The other one was taken to jail while his family had to collect over hundred thousand Baht compensation... Just because YOU don't know of it happening, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, khunPer said:

Just so you – and others – know it: The mandatory motorbike insurance in Thailand covers 50,000 baht, which is literally nothing if you have serious injuries and are hospitalized in a private hospital. If there is no insurance, the part might be asked to pay 50,000 baht in compensation.

As far as I am aware the minimum mandatory insurance only covers injuries to the  "third party"   not to oneself       

5 hours ago, Lopburikid said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know 2 One was imprisoned and had to pay 1 million IN CASH bail. The other one was taken to jail while his family had to collect over hundred thousand Baht compensation... Just because YOU don't know of it happening, it doesn't mean it doesn't happen!

You'll need to provide something empirical if you expect your anecdotal tale as your response to be taken seriously.  Just because you claim that it happened, without any evidence to back it up, doesn't mean that it did!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

As far as I am aware the minimum mandatory insurance only covers injuries to the  "third party"   not to oneself       

Yes, that's correct – it's a statutory liability insurance – and "third party" is the case here.

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

How?

Not worth the time of day to explain, if it doesn't matter to you....
Nothing personal, just don't want to spend my energy on it. Happy enough to agree to disagree.

Edited by Sig
  • Sad 1

I wasn't off the boat 5 minutes on Koh Tao before I was offered a motorbike for 150B a day.   

When I first went there in 2010 there were two places to rent a motorbike.   Now, nearly every hotel and travel agency seems to rent them on the island.   I did rent one for a day and then decided I didn't want to contribute to the traffic and so walked the rest of my time there. 

I might not go back again.  

On 2/6/2024 at 3:45 PM, khunPer said:

If the other driver has no funds to cover, it doesn't help you. A practise has often been that the party, who can afford it, is guilty; it's not the law, but someone has to pay the bills. This – the financial issue – might be cleared at a meeting with a high police officer, written in a book and signed by both parties. What they do in other countries has no value in Thailand, here it's only about how you do it in Thailand.

You really need to have a personal travel- or accident insurance that covers you, especially when riding a motorbike – please note that some insurances covers only scooters with small engines, smaller than normally used in Thailand, and other insurances doesn't cover motorbike ride at all both as driver and passenger – and in general be prepared for that in Thailand's traffic you are financially on your own, or covered only by your own insurance.

My information is primary from Samui, where I been living permanently for 18 years – and yes, I have had friends that was involved in traffic accidents. Both the big black book has been used, and financial cover when without guilt, and 50,000 baht from a guilty motorbike driver with outdated insurance.

1706228177340.jpg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

1706228177340.jpg

Permanent disability or loss of organs...  and you're covered up to 300,000 baht as per the above illustration, but thats the max, the preliminary cover is 35,000 baht... 

So, you're in an accident and you're loosing a left <deleted> and your right hand is severed at the wrist...   you can guarantee that any medical costs are going to be more than 300,000 baht...   

.... not a lot of cover or compensation for someone who can no longer spaff over their subjects in bukkakesque splendor.....

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2024 at 11:05 AM, zhounan said:

Does the third party driver has insurance in case he drive in the wrong side and change the life of someone?

I wouldn't believe a single word reported in the press - there needs to be a proper  crash report. Something the local police seem incapable of doing.

Of course if he didn't have a full D/L and IDP the 3rd party would say he's not covered either.

the minimum "road traffic act" insurance that comes with a M/C covers anyone regardless of blame for emergency only

But of course the bike has to be taxed in the firt place - without that he's due for another 10000 baht fine

On 2/6/2024 at 8:15 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

They do, by law insurance is a requirement.  

Only minimal insurance coes when you pay the road tax - very few rentals have anything more than that.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:29 AM, BestB said:

Travel insurance not paying for bike accidents is common but where I am confused is why other party insurance is not paying ?

my car policy covers other party medical up to 2 million , 

if other party had no insurance then it is his/her problem to cover the medical , no?

depands on what insurance the other party had - they may argue he was driving illegally. ...and I doubt if the other party will accept any blame anyway.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:52 AM, Andyfez said:

The government insisting foreigners pay up for insurance on arrival is one thing, how about keeping their own house clean by insisting motorbike rentals cover with good insurance.

Also, insisting that anyone with a vehicle has a reliable insurance cover.

If the rider doesn't have a full M/C licence it wouldn't make any difference.