When Do You Throw in the towel?

On 2/9/2024 at 5:36 AM, GinBoy2 said:

So I was a gym rat for a lot of my adult life. 

Ate all the 'right stuff', went to the gym every day, you know the drill

But now as I'm in my mid 60's, it's kinda come to a 'Ah fu**k' it moment.

Not overweight, fairly healthy, happy with my life in general, my middle aged wife is OK with how I look, so yeah time to let go I think

FLAB is FABulous.

Get your young wife on-board with the look of the new you.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

On 2/9/2024 at 5:36 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Ate all the 'right stuff'

What is the right stuff. 

My diet is full of quality foods, occasionally I'll have a few beers, French fries, eat a cake etc. but generally I eat nutritional food. 

Control what you eat, continue with the gym you will reap the rewards. 

We are all managers, we  must manage our lifestyles, if you can't you have failed as a manager. 

Some fail as managers, this is why we see so many overweight and obese people these days. 

POOR MANAGERS 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Deadlifts are problematic, I don't do those. I do back hyperextensions and reverse. My shoulders don't like dips or chest flys. I do triceps pulldowns and isometric chest flyss.

I might mention that situps and crunches have a bad rep for your back, and I personally found that rep justified. Not recommended. I do maybe 4 leg raises with isometric holds of 60+ sec each; and 2 pikes, similarly. Sufficient for keeping the abs tight. 

I adjusted strategy after watching all the knee and hip replacements required from friends who overdid the exercise rather then throwing in the towel.

An interesting anomoly is understanding the component parts of your physical makeup which is actually under the control of your mental realm and using it to your advantage.

The physical benefits of switching to a mental focus will reap great rewards in health and vitality.

Physical exercise pales in importance compared to tapping into divine power to stay healthy.  Start with a daily prayer.  It takes 10 seconds.  But is very powerful at producing the results you desire.

I do the 5 X 5 weight training program twice a week. Internet tells me that the third session a week was doing little or no good for my 71 year old bones. Recovery is everything.

Alternate days, I do 45 minutes on the treadmill. Maybe 4 alcohol units a week, under 2000 calories a day, no sugar, light/medium carbs. 100 grams of protein a day.

Still have a big gut a year later. Clothes fit just a bit better. Starting late, it's hard to get results.

Much more energy and noticeably more strength. I'm doing it at this point to stay out of managed care, not impress girls.