When Do You Throw in the towel?

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IME avoiding alcohol and sugar enables exercise to give more bang for the buck.

I am 80, and have health issues. I am damn sure those issues would be a lot worse if I stopped exercising.

80?

80 is like the new 60 nowadays

I remember my grandmother died at 75 and everyone at the funeral was congratulating him on getting to 75 

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Actually, increasing it is best.  Just cross train, walk, stretch, use lighter weights.  Overall, try to keep moving more.

Yes stretching is a big one at older age 😉

I find though sometimes I just have to have a dats test from gym /boxing and go nothing ,mind you it could be just laziness 

2 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

so yeah time to let go I think

been feeling the same way, about many things and i am not quite 60

when the people i used to work with back home took their retirement many would go to the shopping mall and spend all day there... 1990's no internet etc... i would hear of many of them dying 2-3 years after retiring.

on the other hand, the guys who kept busy have lived a lot longer. keeping busy is the key. your body is telling you take a break, but dont let your mind wither...

cheers

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Are you fit though 

Can you walk upstairs without puffing 

Strength? 

Let's say fit enough for what I do. A few stairs and 500m walking are ok. And I can't remember the last time I wanted to walk more than 500m.

What I discovered recently is that my balance needed improvement. I renovate my condominium, and I have to step up a ladder all the time, The first time when I did this, even the first step felt a little shaky. And now, after months of 2 or 3 steps up and down I feel confident on that ladder. I never noticed that problem previously. And I will make sure that also in the future I will use a ladder or something similar to keep my sense of balance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Airing stuff like this on this forum is tantamount to asking for help from a verbal fire hose .. I mean a verbal thunderstorm. Do what you want. If you are looking for punishment or to be confused out of your mind ask for advice here 🤣🤣🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, StandardIssue said:

Airing stuff like this on this forum is tantamount to asking for help from a verbal fire hose .. I mean a verbal thunderstorm. Do what you want. If you are looking for punishment or to be confused out of your mind ask for advice here 🤣🤣🤣

Some people would put it back on you and say your tantamount to verbal BS 😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A man is cumming no matter what he is doing...

He could be working out in the gym, enjoying a fine brandy, relaxing in his study with a fine cigar, or just doing absolutely nothing.

-Arnold Schwartzeneggar in Pumping Iron

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

No point stressing the body every day, high cortisol, low testosterone, so roid injections, daft

You have a point, I was doing too much and with increased injection of testereone which raised my blood pressure too much 

There needs to be balance I found out.

I had to stop my testereone injections

I stopped alcohol but not the junk food love chocolate

I increased my sleep 

I had to pick either boxing or gym ,it's hard to do both physically when you get older , balance is the key 

It sucks getting old 😭

Edited by georgegeorgia

Worked out since 17, 3-4 times a week. 67 now. Been eating well all long. Never did drugs, but was still one of the strongest all around in  lifts in most gyms I went to, at 175-178 lbs. Looked like Rambo (almost, no hgh used, at age 50) Now work out very little lately and feel like crap. Joints are hurting because of all the heavy lifting so I've slowed down as far as weight poundage, and try to get to gym 30 KM away at least once a week, although th gym doesn't open until 2PM and I usually, all those years, worked out early mornings. I hate that I'm not like I was before, and as soon as I can, will get back to it because it's not me. Power lifting while bodybuilding isn't necessary anymore. Just moderate weights and more reps, which we need as we get older. Still eat healthy, but muscle size has gone down and bodyfat has increased a little. Weigh almost 170 but not the same as before by a long shot. If you're a gym person like me, you will surely miss it. I do mow a large yard twice a month, and water every other day by hand, so I get some exercise, but it's not near the same as before. Energy level has gone down because of this, and keeping muscle on as long as possible is very important as you age. It's not something you let go too easy, although I am lazier now. But in my mind it's not right.

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Exactly said the fat man with the Zimmer frame, each to their own proton,each to their own.

Not fat no zimmer frame no health problems at 73, maybe due to not eating dead animals for over 50 years?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You have a point, I was doing too much and with increased injection of testereone which raised my blood pressure too much 

There needs to be balance I found out.

I had to stop my testereone injections

I stopped alcohol but not the junk food love chocolate

I increased my sleep 

I had to pick either boxing or gym ,it's hard to do both physically when you get older , balance is the key 

It sucks getting old 😭

Do the chocolate once a week, that's what i do now, couple years ago i was doing 2-3 chocolate bars a day. Carbs also lower cortisol which maybe why low carbers are so grumpy 

8 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So I was a gym rat for a lot of my adult life. 

Ate all the 'right stuff', went to the gym every day, you know the drill

But now as I'm in my mid 60's, it's kinda come to a 'Ah fu**k' it moment.

Not overweight, fairly healthy, happy with my life in general, my middle aged wife is OK with how I look, so yeah time to let go I think

Your body needs you to keep moving it, remember as we age, we lose muscle.

Lighter weights, more reps keeps your muscle from drooping.

Walk an hour a day to get the blood pumping, you'll feel better for it.

Eat the right foods, less sugar, alcohol consumption.

I am in my early 60's and do the above, and I get praised for my looks everywhere I go, most people say I am 50.

Friends the same age look weathered, smoke, drink, don't exercise and eat crap.

It all boils down to how you want to feel and how you want to look.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1