When Do You Throw in the towel?

8 minutes ago, proton said:

Not fat no zimmer frame no health problems at 73, maybe due to not eating dead animals for over 50 years?

Everyone is different, some are blessed with good genes. Others have to work at it.

AFAIK obesity has never resulted from eating dead animals. It comes from eating too much carbohydrates and sugars.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

The only thing agree with Trump is about , your body is like an engine, so many revs and it wears out. Why waste it in the gym.

Engines wear out faster without maintenance, so do our bodies. There's plenty of proof regular exercise defends against problems such as high blood pressure or diabetes.

Citing Trump on that topic is a bit like citing Hitler or Stalin for humanitarianism.

• Agree 2

43 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I stopped alcohol but not the junk food love chocolate

You can enjoy more chocolate if you buy the 80-90% cacao content.

• Agree 2

When Do You Throw in the towel?

I give it the sniff test, 

When it smells a bit funky, I throw it in and get another. 

9 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

So I was a gym rat for a lot of my adult life. 

Ate all the 'right stuff', went to the gym every day, you know the drill

But now as I'm in my mid 60's, it's kinda come to a 'Ah fu**k' it moment.

Not overweight, fairly healthy, happy with my life in general, my middle aged wife is OK with how I look, so yeah time to let go I think

Don't go into the light.

23 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

great way for a newbie to start here after 29 posts. maybe you feel like giving crap advice cos you got nothing better to do, but some people here don't have much of a social circle here in thailand and asking others advice or their opinion can hep them in their choices. not a very good start for you @StandardIssue you'd probably be better off on teekboor rather than here. they share the same cynicism you seem to have 🤣🤣🤣

Don't get your panties in a wad .. I'm just joking around. Having a sense of humor makes life a lot easier and brighter, especially those of us who are towards the end of it.

Edited by StandardIssue
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Pouatchee said:

no, you're not and you got called out for it

Oh man, you really put me in my place 🤣🤣🤣🤣.   You blew my mind man. Wow, you made me have such a revelation. I'm going to the Wat today, shave my head and rethink my entire existence.

• Confused 1

I'm thinking about starting, not gym or anything like that but upping my walking, swimming and cycling a bit more to counter the age and continued lifestyle impact, not as naturally fit and healthy as I used to be.

10 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Not overweight, fairly healthy, happy with my life in general, my middle aged wife is OK with how I look, so yeah time to let go I think

Don't stop!!!

Keep doing strength and resistance training and cardio. Also look at adding exercises that keep you supple, flexible and mobile.

Just don't be a gym rat. You don't have to beef up like a young Arnie.

It seems that exercise provides an enormous range of benefits. 

The latest research that I heard about this week, which admittedly I haven't read up on yet, is that muscle mass is one of the best indicators of successful outcomes for cancer treatments. Apparently those with higher muscle mass had sufficiency better outcomes than those without for it to be statistically significant. But as I said, I haven[t read up on that yet.

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

80?

80 is like the new 60 nowadays

I remember my grandmother died at 75 and everyone at the funeral was congratulating him on getting to 75 

Grandmother................him???  Was he a tranny Granny?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

I give it the sniff test, 

When it smells a bit funky, I throw it in and get another. 

Don't go into the light.

I'm trying, I'm trying lol

The only thing I'll add is it's easy to put on weight when you get older, but much harder to lose it. Best to keep up some kind of fitness routine as you'll still need to burn off those daily calories. On average, men should burn around 2,500 calories a day. 

15 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm trying, I'm trying lol

I am also mid 60s , todays 60s are yesterday's 40s, get off your ass you would bell better, not only physically but mentally. (runners high)

I got a bicycle

I get up early in the morning when it is cool , and rife the back country roads, very relaxing and good excursive. When id gets too hot , I go to the local community pool, (2o BHT per person)  and do laps. nothing crazy, sometimes I float on my back. 

Don't throw in the towel. Energy begets energy and a positive attitude. 

Mid 60s? you are a young guy , got another 30 to go  Go for it.

Edited by sirineou

11 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I noticed when we get old our bodies don't recover fast and for some reason my mind tells me not to bother walking to the gym 

BUT...when I get therein feel much better AFTER, even if I just walk on the treadmill for 20 minutes no weights I still feel better

Sometimes I have to FORCE myself to go exercise, 

I'm doing boxing which is very hard , cardio wise that I had to stop going to the gym as much to lift weights,it's either one or the other !

Even with testereone ( which I had to cut down because of high blood pressure) my recovery is still not great.

I noticed with all guys my age despite training that BELLY is still there !

Well thats the other thing, 'recovery time'

I found probably from my mid 50's stuff that I would have shaken off in my 30's just doesn't fix anymore like it did.

Then add in dumb sh**t male ego, you go back before you are ready and just make it worse

11 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Slow down is ok. Reduce it to every second day. Actually half an hour is sufficient. Some weight lifting, some rowing....or swimming.🙏

11 hours ago, sungod said:

Please never give up some form of exercise, even if its a good walk a couple of times a week. Its as important mentally as it is physically.

Don't let the Old Man in ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

That was too much then, and it'd be too much now. You need to learn to exercise efficiently. Pareto Principle: 20% of the work, 80% of the benefits.

Why's that? Guess you can either man up or plan to enter the nursing home early--or just a hospital ward for the fast track departure, as is the Thai way.

P. D. Mangan's almost 69, works out 30 min twice weekly, no cardio or a little spin bike. https://twitter.com/Mangan150/status/1754168816408666257 (Musk requires a login). Follows McGuff's principles in Body By Science. As you age, staying fit becomes more important than ever. Just falls are the leading cause of death by injury for over-65s.

image.png.499c21d6af8e5994eb81645d6f783c5c.png

Not overweight, fairly healthy, happy with my life in general

So, rationally, you'd want to sustain that as long as possible.

Health uncertainty is asymmetric in that any sudden unforeseen health events as you age are generally negative. You don't suddenly have an 'anti-stroke' or 'anti-heart attack'. Actively retain health or it degrades.  
     --GuruAnaerobic

my middle aged wife is OK with how I look, so yeah time to let go I think

You don't let the wife determine your health & fitness for you. Wives point the way to early graves, seen that a few times. You might tell her you're not OK with how she looks and she should start dieting and exercising.

Anyway, docs, pharmacies, and hospitals will be happy to learn of your decision.

Edited by BigStar

Hang on to that towel.  It's scary how fast your body and brain can deteriorate if you stop exercising.

A friend the same age as me (66) snapped his achilles tendon playing tennis, and within weeks he was speaking, thinking, moving like a much older man.

I now find running tough on my ankles, so switched to a bike.  Try alternative exercise if the gym is not fun anymore.

• Agree 2

I just keep busy, hiking, walking, light weights and LIGHT/yoga/type stretching, good diet, quit alcohol and feel great @66. 

I/Me/Myself/Yours Truly......is the motivater with all the help.......how can I fail. Until the Creator steps in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

That was too much then, and it'd be too much now. You need to learn to exercise efficiently. Pareto Principle: 20% of the work, 80% of the benefits.

Why's that? Guess you can either man up or plan to enter the nursing home early--or just a hospital ward for the fast track departure, as is the Thai way.

P. D. Mangan's almost 69, works out 30 min twice weekly, no cardio or a little spin bike. https://twitter.com/Mangan150/status/1754168816408666257 (Musk requires a login). Follows McGuff's principles in Body By Science. As you age, staying fit becomes more important than ever. Just falls are the leading cause of death by injury for over-65s.

You don't let the wife determine your health & fitness for you. Wives point the way to early graves, seen that a few times. You might tell her you're not OK with how she looks and she should start dieting and exercising.

Anyway, docs, pharmacies, and hospitals will be happy to learn of your decision.

Well, I'm not saying she's determining my fitness, but working on the idea she is determining my 'hotness' at least for her.

I'm working on dialing back on the gym, as I've said before, been there done that got the tee shirt.

I'm in Thailand right now, and the local gym, I think they say it has AC, but Jeez sweatier as Hell.

Every other day is the plan, and nothing outrageous 

14 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well thats the other thing, 'recovery time'

I found probably from my mid 50's stuff that I would have shaken off in my 30's just doesn't fix anymore like it did.

Then add in dumb sh**t male ego, you go back before you are ready and just make it worse

Just need to be smart about training. I remember jumping off a freight train because it started to move, and I didn't want to walk the miles back when it stopped again. It was probably about 15' high to the ground and I didn't think about it, along with jumping off anything up to 10 feet high. Now I wouldn't think of jumping three steps , thinking it might hurt my aging joints. I don't think about the heavy dumbbells I used to move around like they were nothing. I just start fairly light and go slow, working up until I feel a little pain, then stop. I had (have_?) two torn rotator cuffs from heavy benching, and they still cause my thinking to be, better safe then sorry and not being able to  lift at all. I remember seeing Frank Zane when I worked at GNC back in 1980 or so, right about when he won Mr. Olympia in 1978. He wasn't any bigger than I, just a little more ripped, and he said I looked good. Now I see him at 81 and he looks much like many in their 80's. It's sad we have to lose what we worked so hard to achieve, but that's life. The body isn't supposed to last forever, but regular exercise, and more important, better eating, makes aging less painful.

8 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

better safe then sorry and not being able to  lift at all. I remember seeing Frank Zane when I worked at GNC back in 1980 or so, right about when he won Mr. Olympia in 1978

Unfortunately, Zane’s wariness of heavy training was eventually justified, as his shoulders, knees, and lower back all suffered. “Use poor form in an exercise with heavy weight and your chances of injury multiply,” he said. Thus, later in his competitive days, he was forced to return to light training. “Now I carefully avoid heavy work involving the back and knees,” he said in an article in 1988.

--https://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/news/frank-zane-best-built-man/

On 2/9/2024 at 2:40 PM, The Old Bull said:

The only thing agree with Trump is about , your body is like an engine, so many revs and it wears out. Why waste it in the gym.

To enjoy more years of revs.

The gym is a temple where you can go and pray for one more day.

--@Naval, on Twitter

Edited by BigStar

26 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Unfortunately, Zane’s wariness of heavy training was eventually justified, as his shoulders, knees, and lower back all suffered. “Use poor form in an exercise with heavy weight and your chances of injury multiply,” he said. Thus, later in his competitive days, he was forced to return to light training. “Now I carefully avoid heavy work involving the back and knees,” he said in an article in 1988.

--https://www.muscleandfitness.com/athletes-celebrities/news/frank-zane-best-built-man/

Most of the bodybuilders don't have a need to use very heavy weights. The steroids increase the muscle mass even using moderate weights. I had this proven to me countless times when I saw huge men using weights I would use in a warmup, especially in arm and shoulder training. I was stronger than many of them and drug free. I always used good form, but the sheer amount of weight I used took it's toll on the weak links, the joints. I didn't listen to the older men who had injuries using heavy weights who told me I would pay for it eventually. They were right. I'm capable of training in most lifts, but I won't squat anymore. I was very strong in squats and now I won't do them because of my knees. They were right. I wish I would have listened and not just lift as much as I could. It gets to your head when you can lift heavy. Not necessary unless you're competing. I could have, but didn't care for it.

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well, I'm not saying she's determining my fitness, but working on the idea she is determining my 'hotness' at least for her.

The rate at which your hotness diminishes for her will be largely determined by how well you maintain it. Now, you probably want her to tell you the truth rather than just what you want to hear. Probably. 

17 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm in Thailand right now, and the local gym, I think they say it has AC, but Jeez sweatier as Hell.

Imperative to stay well hydrated. Last thing I do before heading out to the gym, after preparing the post-workout protein drink, is to fill the water bottle.

Now one advantage of working out at home is that you control your own AC. I miss that aspect, plus my music and vids. It's doable, but I also like some features of the gym.

18 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Every other day is the plan, and nothing outrageous 

P. D. Mangan

It's a whole different game for seniors. Gotta forget bodybuilding and all the hype surrounding it. That market's for young men trying to impress the babes. Seems you have, to your credit.

The game then is to achieve fitness without injury. Steve Maxwell, senior trainer, has a great article on this:

Dear Over-45 Trainee

A good workout -- a really good strength workout -- can be completed in between 20-30 minutes, even less if it's intense enough. I like to use a job analogy: all strength-training workouts take you to about the same place, more or less, in about five years, approximately the same muscularity, and body weight size and strength, but some guys are spending a couple hours at the gym everyday, versus other people spending as little as an hour at the gym every week.

There's a lot to say on this subject; the devil is in the details. I won't waste much time here on it, just fall on deaf ears as usual.  If interested, you can look up Doug McGuff (greatest consolidator), Drew Baye, Ken Hutchins, Steve Maxwell, Dorian Yates, Mike Mentzer, P. D. Mangan, and The Architect, Arthur Jones.

In short, just do a full body routine twice a week. Realistically, takes me 45 min in the gym, more or less, including 10 min of intervals on a recumbent bike. There's waiting for equipment, setting up machines, water breaks, ogling wimmen, whatever. 🙂  It's very simple.

Light weights, super slow lifting, breathing continually, no holding your breath;; no warmup needed

One set to failure about 90 sec; hold 3 sec at peak contraction

Use isometrics or timed static contractions to protect joints that need it.

P. D. Mangan's routine:

front grip pulldown
leg press
calf raise
chest press
dips
seated row
overhead press
lateral raise
EZ bar curl
deadlift

Deadlifts are problematic, I don't do those. I do back hyperextensions and reverse. My shoulders don't like dips or chest flys. I do triceps pulldowns and isometric chest flyss.

Skip long, slow cardio: Martin Gibala's classic research on interval training:

Short-term sprint interval versus traditional endurance training: similar initial adaptations in human skeletal muscle and exercise performance