Man opens plane door on Bangkok-bound flight - Tim Newton Today - Feb 9

screenshot_21195.jpg

Thailand news - A Canadian national has opened a plane door and deployed the emergency slide claiming someone was "going to attack him". Personal information from 20 million elderly Thais has been uploaded onto the dark web, more debate about next week's Cannabis & Hemp Control Bill being presented to the Thai Cabinet.

Two British men are helping Phuket police with their enquiries about counterfeit Euro bills being exchanged around the island. And Thai Airways has put in an order for 45 new Boeing 787s.

Tim Newton Today is a daily take on Thai and regional news and issues of interest to expats and foreign tourists.

• Like 1

No, it is not possible to open an airplane door during flight. Let me explain why:

1. Mechanical Locking: Before takeoff, cabin doors are mechanically locked by the cabin crew. They conduct a final check and arm the doors. However, once the aircraft is airborne, the doors are automatically locked and cannot be opened from the inside or outside1

Edited by KannikaP
  • Agree 1

I have gone off Tim recently, his grumpy old men is awful and boring with big mouth Steve, nothing ever interesting. Similar show with different guests would be better. He should drop his continual coverage of tourist numbers as well, nobody cares.

29 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No, it is not possible to open an airplane door during flight. Let me explain why:

1. Mechanical Locking: Before takeoff, cabin doors are mechanically locked by the cabin crew. They conduct a final check and arm the doors. However, once the aircraft is airborne, the doors are automatically locked and cannot be opened from the inside or outside1

Newspaper said he opened the door during taxi not in flight (was at Chang Mai airport and plane returned to gate)

https://dailycaller.com/2024/02/08/wong-sai-heung-thai-airways-arrest-emergency-exit/

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Newspaper said he opened the door during taxi not in flight (was at Chang Mai airport and plane returned to gate)

https://dailycaller.com/2024/02/08/wong-sai-heung-thai-airways-arrest-emergency-exit/

Yes, it is possible during taxi-ing for emergency use. After take-of = NO !

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Read this link. I wonder how difficult it is to re-pack an emergency slide, a bit like air bags. 

Anyway it said that the plane eventually took off.........with or without the miscreant?

3 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Who said it was in flight? All newspaper articles say on ground during taxi

I have just said that it is possible DURING TAXI-ING. Never mentioned 'in flight'. I can read.

Can you see where I said 'After take-off..............NO

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I wonder how difficult it is to re-pack an emergency slide, a bit like air bags. 

Anyway it said that the plane eventually took off.........with or without the miscreant?

The blown slide would be removed and a serviceable slide installed. It would be sent for inspection and repacking for later use.

looking at the picture, without the miscreant....

further info: airlines have contingency plans and options when things go south with aircraft. It's possible passenger loads allowed the operator to despatch the aircraft with the affected door locked  out. Some airlines have spare aircraft for use in emergencies, some may decide to cancel the flight.

3 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I

So there's a difference between mechanically locking the doors on the ground and in the air? How does a door 'automatically' lock in the air?

When you say 'locked', what does that mean? Is a key inserted and turned like a deadlock? A bolt thrown from the door into the frame?