And so the exodus of quality expats begins. This time it's personal

Galong

On 2/9/2024 at 4:52 PM, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

The only province in Thailand I have never been to. Even decades ago I was smart enough to avoid the place along with every other tourist/expat $hithole in Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geisha said:

I spent 2 months in Phuket after Covid to see my good friends after having lived there from early 80s for a bit more than 20 yrs. Loved it at the time , the 80s and 90s were fantastic, and Phuket wasn’t crowded and never saw a traffic jam. It was my little paradise in Kata , everyone friends. So Had the shock of my life when I went back , I couldn’t believe the traffic, the noise from a million motorcycles, the still pot holed roads and lack of pavements,  stressed out Thai businesses, Thai smile long disappeared. And no wonder with the place being overrun by surly rude Russians, buildings , all the  gorgeous hillsides turned into pool Villa ghettos. I was happy to leave again and I will go back to see my old friends but will stay a week.

And they call it progress, well for me they can keep it 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, xylophone said:

I think with quite a few people who decide to leave Phuket, what was once "living the dream" is no longer, so there are many aspects of life in Phuket which can grate, and it's quite possibly a combination of things which make people leave.

One of the friends who left for the UK has a family there and wants to see his grandchildren grow up, as well as getting tired with life in Patong.

Whereas the other friend is disillusioned and because he is facing some health problems (not severe I may add) then going back to Canada will ensure that he can get them fixed free of charge.

Surely the extra cost of living in Canada (especially heating bills in winter) will out weigh the saving on the hospital costs.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Liquorice said:

And so the exodus of quality expats begins.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the quality expats live anywhere but Phuket.

Last one out, turn off the lights and close the door, please.

Like Chiang Mai, right? 😜

• Haha 1

I already live is a supposedly dystopian tourist hell (Nimman, Chiang Mai) -and I really, really love it.

So if it got so-called worse (more sushi, more hat stores for Chinese people, more 200 baht Durian Ice Cream stands), I guess I'd like it even more. It's great to live in a place where everyone has some money and is blissed out while spending it. I used to live near Times Square NYC and liked that too. If I lived in Bangkok, I'd be by some heavily used BTS stop along Sukhamvit, Phrong Phong, maybe. Tourist buzz means good restaurants.

Def. heaving here for Chinese New Year. We had to reserve at Sushi Umai. For lunch, no less. For Omakase, it's two days in advance. How do we get our Asian theme park life back? Just wait a week, I guess.

This thread has successfully killed a planned Phuket outing for me, so thanks.

Just did Koh Samui and found it a bit packed out, so if Phuket is double-that, I'll wait a couple of years for the Russians to thin out. 'Love them in Chiang Mai, but apparently they're a bit overbearing down at the beach.

5 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

I already live is a supposedly dystopian tourist hell (Nimman, Chiang Mai) -and I really, really love it.

So if it got so-called worse (more sushi, more hat stores for Chinese people, more 200 baht Durian Ice Cream stands), I guess I'd like it even more. It's great to live in a place where everyone has some money and is blissed out while spending it. I used to live near Times Square NYC and liked that too. If I lived in Bangkok, I'd be by some heavily used BTS stop along Sukhamvit, Phrong Phong, maybe. Tourist buzz means good restaurants.

Def. heaving here for Chinese New Year. We had to reserve at Sushi Umai. For lunch, no less. For Omakase, it's two days in advance. How do we get our Asian theme park life back? Just wait a week, I guess.

This thread has successfully killed a planned Phuket outing for me, so thanks.

Just did Koh Samui and found it a bit packed out, so if Phuket is double-that, I'll wait a couple of years for the Russians to thin out. 'Love them in Chiang Mai, but apparently they're a bit overbearing down at the beach.

How do you go with the pollution. You do make that part of Chiang Mai sound pretty good.

Spending 2 and a half months in Thailand in a few months including a month in Jomtiem with and without my girlfriend to see if I love it or hate it. 

Went to Phuket 6 months ago and enjoyed Phuket town and Patong hadn't changed that much in 10 years though more development. Maybe the trick is to go in low season when it is not so busy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Surely the extra cost of living in Canada (especially heating bills in winter) will out weigh the saving on the hospital costs.

As I have said in another post, his leaving is not specifically because of hospital costs, but mainly because he is disillusioned with life here as a whole. He also has a large mobile home (very large apparently) in Canada in which he can live and in which he can travel around in and stay with friends and relatives, a bit of a nomadic existence, if you like...........he gave Phuket (Patong) a try, but not for him now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

How do you go with the pollution. You do make that part of Chiang Mai sound pretty good.

Spending 2 and a half months in Thailand in a few months including a month in Jomtiem with and without my girlfriend to see if I love it or hate it. 

Went to Phuket 6 months ago and enjoyed Phuket town  

We just signed a second year lease in Nimman. The smoke is already getting bad. Our condo full of air bnb's is emptying out. Jett's Gym usage decreases by 75%.

Do we love it enough here to spend 8-12 weeks away from it each year and keep paying rent for those weeks for the privilege?

Reservedly, yes. We like it that much.

And we still have a few years worth of world to go out and see during smoke season. People without the flexibility and degree of Chiang Mai-mania that we have should think twice or thrice.

On the other hand, you can be in a studio in Hua Hin or Cha Am for $200 a week on a long term rate to wait it out. Ubon is also on the wait it out-list. And the rainy season here is a pleasure. 

Jomtien was on my short list, as a more benign, lower key Pattaya-option. Liked it fine as that, but I'm just not much of a beach person. And you get much more apartment for your money in CM.

Phuket Old Town -is it likewise mobbed? I loved Penang and it looks like a cleaner Penang. I'd be the rare Phuket tourist who very possibly never sees the beach.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:43 AM, Celsius said:

1707479135384.jpg

30 minutes after landing she was on her way out with permanent residence and all the information on how to apply for assistance and a health card.

Err, if you're going to cover your face you should probably cover your boarding pass too. Those large files can be displayed at full size and there is a name on the boarding pass.....

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, uttradit said:

Is it any better than any other northern city?

Not really - pleasant enough , but I think you would get bored after a week or two unless you had a reason to be there like a business or GF / wife .

Plus points for me - quietish ( not overrun with tourists ) , 3 good Jay food places , night market ( mainly tourist tat ) , near the border ( if it opens again ).

The big problem with most of these small towns is there is nowhere to walk . At least in Patts you can get some exercise and fresh air by walking along the beach .

On 2/9/2024 at 10:52 PM, Galong said:

Six of my very good friends have had enough of Phuket and all six are leaving because of traffic. Another friend and his family of four just bought a house a relocated here from the UK. After just a few months, they are already looking for ways to leave. 

How many of you have lost friends due to the 'progress' going on in Phuket?

I have no sympathy for anyone that was foolish enough to think Phuket was a good place to live. It's been a <deleted><deleted> for many years, and I gave up on it entirely this century, except for a visit post tsunami to see the destruction for myself. Sadly they were just rebuilding the same <deleted><deleted> it was before the tsunami.

Do some never do any research before choosing where to relocate? There are so many far better places to live in LOS than that place.

The OP doesn't mention just where on Phuket Island they live, though I suspect it's Patong, however, I believe there are some nice places on Phuket island on quieter beaches. Probably nicer because farangs don't want to live on them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Just did Koh Samui and found it a bit packed out,

Samui turned into tourist hell early this century, and I made Phangan my go to location instead. Provided they didn't manage to put the airport in it's probably still a better option than Samui, especially up in the north east. The south is not so good and has it's own tourist hell hole on Hat Rin, but ( at least when I was a frequent visitor ) the rest of the island wasn't infected.

Koh Tao became a no go for me decades ago. A classic case of how to destroy a paradise island by overbuilding.

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Somewhere that is very well connected to the world, with good beaches, still relatively inexpensive, easy access to good hospitals and decent schools, good diverse dining, and world famous nightlife?

World famous nightlife? Is there 2 Phukets?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

IF u think traffic is  bad now< wait till the 6,000 units are built in Laguna>

even now its 30-40 minutes by car to travel 6 kms from Surin to the boat ave. 

• Like 1

Let's be serious, the thought of settling in Thailand in those who are truly rich does not pass for a second. 

The nexus Quality expat-Thailand is a myth.

If I were rich I would live in Sardinia, Spain, Greece, certainly not Thailand.

2 hours ago, zhounan said:

Let's be serious, the thought of settling in Thailand in those who are truly rich does not pass for a second. 

The nexus Quality expat-Thailand is a myth.

If I were rich I would live in Sardinia, Spain, Greece, certainly not Thailand.

Really!! Funnily enough last night I was talking to a very rich man, he was dressed in baggy shorts and t-shirt which had seen better days and I had no doubts about believing him. He bought his first house at 21 and at present day as a total of nine, all rented off

On 2/10/2024 at 2:20 PM, spidermike007 said:

I left Samui nearly a decade ago, as it became unbearable with traffic, congestion, over development, and over pricing. Never looked back. I visit occasionally, and am reminded of all the reasons we left.

And where are you now? 😳

On 2/9/2024 at 5:37 PM, impulse said:

Though I get what the OP is saying, it seems to me there's a middle ground between Phuket and Back Home in the freezing cold. 

Like 100 other places in Thailand.

The middle ground is Spain, for those from the UK. There is also a sizeable German and Scandinavian presence. Good infrastructure, a police force that polices, far better quality in the supermarkets, many things cheaper than Thailand, a more variable climate, people who drive in a responsible manner. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family in Thailand. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

The middle ground is Spain, for those from the UK. There is also a sizeable German and Scandinavian presence. Good infrastructure, a police force that polices, far better quality in the supermarkets, many things cheaper than Thailand, a more variable climate, people who drive in a responsible manner. I'd move there in a heartbeat if I didn't have family in Thailand. 

If one has a British passport, is it still possible to live full-time in Spain, or is there some restrictions regarding Schengen visas?? 

16 minutes ago, xylophone said:

If one has a British passport, is it still possible to live full-time in Spain, or is there some restrictions regarding Schengen visas?? 

And is it possible legal to work there on a foreign passport?

One of the great things I found about living back home is that I could fund my hobbies by selling the results of my efforts, mostly to neighbors and friends.  Not so much to make money, but to offset the costs of some pretty expensive hobbies.  As a result of which, my neighbors all asked me to make some for them, too.  That also opened the possibility of building an online business, though I had to leave before I pursued that.   But I'd be afraid to do that in Thailand for fear of WP violations...

Also, can anyone point to a good interweb resource that summarizes living costs in various places, comparing, for example, Spain (or Mexico) to Thailand?  Preferably, one that breaks it down by real estate, food, health care...

Edited by impulse